Gransnet forums

Chat

Daughter’s first home

(49 Posts)
Pennylucky007 Mon 20-Jan-20 08:24:13

My daughter and her boyfriend have just bought their first home - as it is a special time I would like to give a meaningful gift. Any ideas?

cas58 Wed 22-Jan-20 20:55:48

Bread, so the house never goes hungry, salt so life may always have flavour and wine so joy and prosperity may reign forever.

It's A Wonderful Life

NotSpaghetti Tue 21-Jan-20 05:37:32

If they are buying this home, have they been living together previously?
If so, they will have moved with cleaning products, pegs etc.

You should ask what they would like, and if no response you can always do what I have done once and say “I’m going to buy you something for your new house. I don’t mind choosing something I like but if you want something you like I need to know what you like by the weekend after next”.

Then a few days before, if you haven’t heard, remind them that you are about to go on a shopping expedition!
It worked for me!

GreenGran78 Tue 21-Jan-20 02:32:58

Many years ago, when my friend was getting married and I was very ‘hard-up’ I bought a few small items each week and put them in a box. Things such as a tape-measure, scissors, first-aid kit, potato peeler, dusters, etc. All the little bits and pieces that you suddenly may need, in a new household, but hadn’t thought of buying.
I felt a little embarrassed at giving such a mundane gift. Some time later my friend told me that it had been the best thing that they had received, and she had blessed me whenever she used one of the items. She also told me of the numerous expensive, but unwanted, gifts which were stowed away in their cupboards.
My son and his wife have just moved to a larger house (first baby due in May) I bought them an outdoor dining set which they wanted, and chose for themselves.

Sussexborn Tue 21-Jan-20 00:54:34

A lot depends on their circumstances. If they are struggling then definitely best to ask. Stocking a basic larder with dried and tinned food might be useful.

I would avoid pictures or ornaments especially if you are likely to visit regularly. My cousins came to visit our first home (we were channeling Habitat). Concerned that we had no ornaments they bought us lots of china dogs - really hideous! They lived in a box and only came out when the cousins visited fortunately not that often!

Jillybird Tue 21-Jan-20 00:15:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Naty Mon 20-Jan-20 21:52:14

MIL gave me a very nice duvet and sheepskin mattress cover. Still use them.
Aunt gave me 150 dollars to restore a chest I put my linens in.
The same aunt bought me a canvas and painted me a GORGEOUS painting I have in my livingroom. Best gift ever.

Abuelana Mon 20-Jan-20 21:26:37

A statement piece of their choosing.

Hollycat Mon 20-Jan-20 16:46:30

When we returned from honeymoon (we married age 20) we found a hamper in the middle of our brand new kitchen table from my mother, who had bought us our first week’s shopping with a quilted teacosy she had made for us. How nice was that!

Chapeau Mon 20-Jan-20 16:39:19

Do they have a garden? If so, what about a tree or nice plant?

RosesAreRed21 Mon 20-Jan-20 16:36:41

How about a nice voucher for the home, then they can choose it but know it was from you.

paddyanne Mon 20-Jan-20 14:55:05

When we got married my mothers neighbour gave us cash to buy a frdge freezer.We went out with the best of intentions to one but got sidelined by a lovely Reynard the fox chess set.We bought that instead and used a second hand fridge for over a year.We've had quite a few fridges and freezers in our almost 45 years but we still have ths same chess set and remember the neighbournevery time we play.Let them get something memorable not practical but it has to be their choice .

PennyWhistle Mon 20-Jan-20 14:47:21

When each of our DDs moved into their own homes, we provided elbow grease to clean then paint each room to their taste... and provided the fish and chips to sustain all volunteer decorators during the process.

As for meaningful gifts for each of them, we gave money towards white goods they needed. And our spare furniture to give them a start.

Time to give memorable presents are at anniversaries etc I feel.

NannyG123 Mon 20-Jan-20 14:44:38

They told me what they wanted, They ordered it. I gave them the money for it. Job done.

notanan2 Mon 20-Jan-20 14:36:03

Do people use crystal glasses these days? Im clearing out the housr ad getting divorced and downsizing. We have a decanter and 6 crystal glasses, had them over 36 yrs and never been us

You've just reminded me that I have moved a box of crystal to THREE HOUSES without unpacking it!
Last house move I resolved to use it for every day as it is silly to keep it packed forever, then swiftly forgot about it!

You have reminded me to get it all out.

Paperbackwriter Mon 20-Jan-20 13:57:55

My daughter and her family are about to move into another house. I've volunteered to make some curtains or blinds for them as they have most of what they need already.

Patticake123 Mon 20-Jan-20 13:52:36

I gave my son and his partner a cheque for a fancy kitchenware shop. I have to say you do need to ignore what they do with it though - I fully expected them to get all the basics for their kitchen but what they actually bought was an all dancing, all singing coffee machine, complete waste of money but they loved it!

Curlywhirly Mon 20-Jan-20 13:25:06

I would ask them what they want - personally I would prefer to buy them a practical present: fridge, furniture, bed etc. As an extra, I would fill a basket with all manner of different food items - olive oil, salt and pepper mills, ketchup, chutney, mustard, jam, herbs, tea, coffee etc. It can come to a tidy sum stocking cupboards and I am sure it would be very welcome.

gilld69 Mon 20-Jan-20 13:20:23

i bought a dryer for my daughter and helped decorateand also a gorgeous handmade card that she later framed

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Mon 20-Jan-20 13:03:54

Do people use crystal glasses these days? Im clearing out the housr ad getting divorced and downsizing. We have a decanter and 6 crystal glasses, had them over 36 yrs and never been used ?

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 20-Jan-20 12:48:31

Ask ask and ask again.
If the only response is "anything", give them a hamper of cleaning products or a starter kit of D. I. Y. tools.
Practical equals sucess. There is plenty of opportunity at Christmas to get something personal after they have settled in.

Madmaggie Mon 20-Jan-20 12:47:35

If you give cash there's the chance it would be spent on 'treats' and just disappear on assorted living expenses which is not your intention. From your post I understand you'd like something tangible. The best gifts my parents gave me where a washing machine, a dryer & some new carpet. Over the years the worst were the electric fire, stove & dresser all of which my mother chose without heeding my taste and dismissing my views as nonsense. Why not offer to buy a fridge freezer or similar, tell them your price limit, let them find one & you transfer the money into their a/c. Have you considered a vacuum cleaner. Allowing them to choose is so very important.

Witzend Mon 20-Jan-20 12:33:59

Money or e.g. a John Lewis voucher.
Personally I wouldn’t buy anything unless I knew it was exactly what they want. Too easy to get it wrong, IMO.

notanan2 Mon 20-Jan-20 12:26:36

The big deal about your first place is that you can do it to your own tastes

Maybe an outing together for something they can chose: garden centre, local gallery, kitchen shop etc with a price limit

Pennylucky007 Mon 20-Jan-20 12:22:00

Thank you all for your posts and ideas - and I will heed the warnings as well! smile

Craicon Mon 20-Jan-20 11:49:14

My mum bought me my first bed from John Lewis many years ago. It had a wooden slatted base and a beautiful shaped wooden headboard. I still have the base and headboard more than 30 years later. It’s currently in the garage but my DH is planning to cut it and make it into a bench seat for the garden.
Mum died 20 years ago but I’ll be thinking of her fondly whenever we sit on the bench. smile