Gransnet forums

Chat

Valentine's cards for children?

(35 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 08-Feb-20 11:07:33

Am I missing something? I thought Valentine's cards were for 'lovers' or admirers to send to someone you think of in that way? Before this opens a deluge of people decrying them anyway, we were married on Valentine's Day, and it is therefore special to us as both our anniversary and a day for people who love each other in a non-parental way.
Anyway what I'm rambling my way round to, is I was choosing an Anniversary and a Valentine's card for my husband (he may be Victor Meldrew in many respects but we still like to be romantic with each other). In amongst all the Valentine's cards for partners etc, there were cards saying 'to my son (or daughter) on Valentine's Day. What on earth?????

henetha Tue 11-Feb-20 10:06:08

My ex-husband always said "It's just lining the manufacturers
pockets". He never sent me a card of any sort whatsoever in 32 years of marriage.
But surely Valentine cards should just be for lovers, partners, spouses.

Grandma70s Tue 11-Feb-20 10:17:27

The idea of compulsory romantic gestures on a set day seems ludicrous. It’s always been ignored in my family (my parents and me/my husband) until recently, when I believe one son gives his wife a present. Perhaps she expected it, so he has to! I suspect that’s the power of advertising.

I agree with those who find the idea of encouraging it in school is shocking. Poor children.

Jabberwok Fri 14-Feb-20 14:01:53

I had a lovely bunch of carnations this morning from DH! I certainly haven't sent or received anything from any one else, nor would I expect to!! Valentine's day is for lovers not children or Grannies!!

NfkDumpling Fri 14-Feb-20 14:13:13

Valentine cards to the cat? How sad.

(I did get a hug from my DH this morning!)

endlessstrife Fri 14-Feb-20 14:56:15

I know, it’s mad isn’t it? I think card manufacturers are desperate to make money in an “ online “ fuelled world.

Grandma2213 Sat 15-Feb-20 02:00:56

I used to send an anonymous card to each son just in case one of them got one and the others didn't! I stopped when they realised it was me.
Cards are bad enough in schools but my 8 and 10 year old daughters have come home with a gift bag full of presents as well as cards from several boys and girls. Some of them are quite expensive and contain messages which I consider to be inappropriate and over the top for their ages eg 'When we are together I feel better. Stay with me forever so I will feel safer. If I could describe love in one word I would call it you.' This particular boy has been sending cards, gifts and letters regularly for a couple of years. His mum thinks it's cute but I worry that it is a bit obsessive in one so young! Am I over reacting?

BradfordLass73 Sat 15-Feb-20 04:53:49

"'to my son (or daughter) on Valentine's Day. What on earth?????"

I send one to my son every year. He was born on 14th February 1979.

jenpax Sat 15-Feb-20 06:26:52

My DGS aged 9 made a lovely card for me and one for his mum and I treasure this! I gave him a tin of love hearts. Both my other daughters give my DGD Valentine cards and small gifts. My own parents sent me a “secret admirer” valentines card. I think it’s a lovely gesture and give and receive in that spirit.

NotAGran55 Sat 15-Feb-20 06:39:09

This is one of those Marmite things !
I think it is a very odd thing to do , but each to their own .

If my dad or in-laws had ever sent one to my children I would have put a stop to it .