Gransnet forums

Chat

What does 'mixed race' mean to you? How would you describe a 'mixed race' person?

(107 Posts)
jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 20:34:34

Researchers are asking the question- and it made me think.

GagaJo Sat 29-Feb-20 07:02:39

I don't think Jura sees white as superior at all. Easier, yes. But it is.

3nanny6 Sat 29-Feb-20 13:32:05

GagaJo On reading the last post from Espee she has highlighted some of the comments of Jura and she has correctly pointed out that Jura says that her grand-children could pass as white.
The point of this thread was about mixed race/mixed heritage people and fundamentally if mixed race then you will have characteristics, certain genes, features, that will show that person they are not white, no matter how much someone wants to say oh they are nearly white then the mixed race person could become very confused.

IMO all the parents of mixed heritage AC and grandchildren
make sure that they know exactly what their heritage is and also give them the tools they will need in the outside world to deal with racism if it should arise.
I have known of two families where a white mother had a mixed race child and then quickly got together with a white man and had further children being white. The mixed race child was bought up in the family and no reference was ever given to that child that it had different biological father so as the child grew up it found itself confused about it's own identity. I could tell a mixed heritage person a mile off no matter how pale the skin.

3nanny6 Sat 29-Feb-20 13:48:01

GagaJo ; I just point out to you that is a sweeping statement to make "We experience white privilege for the vast majority of our lives"

I am British with pale skin, within my family the black side comes from Irish white mother/Jamaican father and thence children being born subsequently mixed heritage so obviously I do know a lot about black/mixed heritage and to say that people in my family may have experienced white privilege is laughable. I agree on one point there are many that would like to see the races non interacting so white with white and black with black that itself is a force to reckon with.

Esspee Mon 02-Mar-20 08:02:38

Really @GagaJo I can’t say I’ve encountered any white privilege in the UK. I am Scottish, have lived in the USA, the Caribbean, and New Zealand

I refuse to accept any behaviour which results from skin colour, religious, race or ethnic background differences and challenge it every time.

In the Caribbean as well as negative racist behaviour towards me I often encounter the opposite, where I receive preferential treatment and I shut that right down too.

My late husband was black, my children are therefore mixed race, my grandchildren even more mixed so I feel qualified to comment.

jura2 Mon 02-Mar-20 11:48:25

Esspee - sorry for late reply. I have been ill all weekend and at a meeting since early this morning.

You have misread the whole point I was trying to make- and to impute from me a belief that 'white is superior' - is catastrophically wrong. And btw my grandchildren don't 'pass for white' - they are white- despite having African, Indonesian an Indian blood some generation back.

My point is that no-one would ever even think of them as mixed race, because they do not 'look' mixed race.

As for the prejudice, put your head in the sand if you wish. Anyone who has a family that was 'sorted into categories' depending on how dark their skin turned out to be, by sheer genetic lottery- will tell you it is nonsense.

Thank you gagajo, glad you understand.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 03-Mar-20 16:33:14

Well, I personally would never call anyone "mixed race", but presumably the term covers an Asian and a European who have had offspring, or the children of an African and either of the above.

I don't see why we should concern ourselves about a person's antecedents. Medically there is so little difference between the so-called races that I doubt it serves any useful purpose to talk of mixed race.

In many cultural contexts it may be relevant that NN's mother is Asian, or MM's father European, but then we can surely say so.