Gransnet forums

Chat

Can I claim maternity allowance along with state pension??

(32 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Nov-20 09:48:44

That was a dilemma facing me overnight! I had crazy vivid dream where I’d just left my GP surgery after being told I was pregnant. I accepted the news and didn’t question if it was possible for a celibate 66 yr old to become pregnant. I went straight to the practicalities such as how would my AC and GC react to the news. How could I afford to provide for a baby when it’s already difficult to make ends meet with my state pension?

In the dream I retreated to my Mum’s house for advice. She died nearly 20 years ago and I rarely dream about her so it was lovely to see her. She took the news surprisingly well.

Eventually I began to question if my GP could be mistaken and I frantically began to google “is it possible for a 66 yr old post menopausal woman to be pregnant” Thankfully, I managed to wake at that point. When I woke I actually had my phone in my hand, I must have reached to the bedside and lifted it while still asleep.

That’ll be the last time I’ll have brie and crackers for a bedtime snack!

M0nica Sun 29-Nov-20 17:37:52

It clearly isn't beyond the bounds of possibility because I have had to sign forms for medical treatment that ask if I am pregnant. I am 77.

nadateturbei Sun 29-Nov-20 17:51:48

How funny grannynannywanny. I bet you were relieved when you woke up!

Daddima Sun 29-Nov-20 19:11:44

My dreams were always of the bizarre kind, where the Queen turned into Cliff Richard, and I was getting married to Basil Brush in Antarctica, and scenarios like that. I also have a recurring dream about cleaning up my mother’s house where I get angry because she and my father don’t help me ( unresolved bereavement issues, I’m sure) However, for the last few months my dreams have been very ‘normal’, with things which could easily have happened, so I’m never sure if something really did happen or if I dreamt it!
I don’t know if it’s connected to the Bodach’s death, Covid, or I’m just losing the plot.

Hetty58 Sun 29-Nov-20 23:45:19

When my second son was little, I had a vivid nightmare that he'd drowned wearing his green, stripy sleepsuit. I got up and put it straight in the bin!

welbeck Mon 30-Nov-20 00:15:27

i like the idea of marrying basil brush in antarctica.
i always liked basil brush, he had such character.
my late brother had a large model of him looking out of his upstairs window. i miss him very much.

MrsThreadgoode Mon 30-Nov-20 10:20:43

grannynannywanny I don’t think you would need Maternity Benefit, you would be worth a fortune, TV interviews, tabloid photos......