Snowdon / Snowdonia

(32 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 01-May-21 09:58:56

Anyone support the campaign to change the English names of
Snowdon back to its original name Yr Wyddfa, and Snowdonia
National Park back to Eryi ?

Australia changed Ayers Rock to Uluru in 1993

Loislovesstewie Sat 01-May-21 15:47:33

And of course the Statute of Kilkenny in 1367 prevented the Irish from speaking their own language.

M0nica Sat 01-May-21 18:49:50

I am more than happy to see all signs in Welsh, maps for sale in Wales etc etc refer to Snowdon by it's Welsh name.

I cannot see why doing that should stop the English still calling it Snowden. Lets face it, maps of Britain printed and circulated in other countries have their versions of our place names on them, not the names we use

Anniebach Sat 01-May-21 20:53:09

MOnica we haven’t asked that calling it Snowdon be made a criminal offence.

SueDonim Sat 01-May-21 21:02:50

I asked my mum today about her school days in Wales (born in 1927 so I guess in the Thirties) She said they were actually taught Welsh in primary school, one class a week. Lessons otherwise were in English but Welsh wasn’t banned.

There was one teacher who didn’t speak Welsh and used to shout at them if they used it. Mum said they would get their own back by calling her rude names in the playground in Welsh which of course she didn’t understand - very appealing when you’re eight years old! grin Mum still remembers her name, Miss Cheetham.

AmberSpyglass Sat 01-May-21 21:10:09

Grandma70s

We must have lived not far from each other then, you could see it from my bedroom window!

M0nica Sun 02-May-21 07:56:37

Anniebach neither have I.