Gransnet forums

Chat

4 day weekend

(40 Posts)
Esspee Wed 02-Jun-21 13:19:34

Apparently there is going to be a 4 day weekend next summer to mark the Queen’s platinum jubilee with street parties etc.

I can’t help feeling nobody give a stuff. Certainly not here in Scotland.

I respect her but hope she is the last to rein over us in this neck of the woods.

What do you think?

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 02-Jun-21 13:20:48

Everyone loves a long weekend don’t they?

Shelflife Wed 02-Jun-21 13:24:21

What's not to like? You might feel that people don't give a stuff in Scotland- are you in a Position to speak for those in your ' neck of the woods'.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 02-Jun-21 13:27:36

I’m assuming that those who ‘don’t give a stuff’ will go to work as usual.

grannyactivist Wed 02-Jun-21 13:35:13

I tend to support anything that brings communities together for a good purpose and I hope that this will generate a lot of neighbourliness. smile

Lin52 Wed 02-Jun-21 13:35:33

Esspee

Apparently there is going to be a 4 day weekend next summer to mark the Queen’s platinum jubilee with street parties etc.

I respect her but hope she is the last to rein over us in this neck of the woods.

What do you think?

I don’t think you speak for all in Scotland, certainly not the people I know who haven’t given Sturgeon house room, or a vote. Guess you won’t be having 4 days off then.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Jun-21 13:36:14

What’s not to like?

A boost for the hospitality industry, extra time to spend with friends and family, I think it’s a bright idea ???‍?‍?‍??‍?‍?‍??‍?‍?‍?

Jaxjacky Wed 02-Jun-21 13:38:55

As we don’t know what winter holds and communities are still unable and reticent to mix this would be a lovely occasion to plan get togethers. I know if I was working I’d love a four day weekend!

Aveline Wed 02-Jun-21 13:42:07

I'm in Scotland and I'm looking forward to the celebrations for the Queen. Already planning a garden party for our neighbours. It's nice to have something positive like this on the horizon.

jusnoneed Wed 02-Jun-21 13:45:23

Moving the late May one to June and tacking on two extra days. What is the point of that?
A lot of lost work hours for many companies, shutting down for 5 days instead of the usual 3. But still having to pay wages, not something they will want after this last 18 months.

Looks like lots of the usual parades etc planned to happen in London.

jusnoneed Wed 02-Jun-21 13:46:08

Sorry 4 days not 5

jusnoneed Wed 02-Jun-21 13:47:18

Really need an edit button - tacking on an extra day!

Grany Wed 02-Jun-21 14:07:32

Who wants to celebrate a woman with a £20 million crown on her head amid austerity poverty food banks continue increasing.

#AbolishtheMonarchy

SueDonim Wed 02-Jun-21 14:11:36

My dd is delighted. She’ll be able to add two more days to her maternity leave.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 02-Jun-21 14:14:36

#AbolishRepublicism

Long may she live #QueenElizabethII

Grandma70s Wed 02-Jun-21 14:18:11

Oh Grany, give it a rest, will you? We know your views.

I can’t help thinking that planning a year ahead for a 95-year-old is perhaps a little .....risky? Optimistic?

NanKate Wed 02-Jun-21 14:19:36

How lovely a 4 day celebration for our wonderful Queen who has kept her promise and devoted herself to her people.

I give to food banks weekly and I’m more than happy to give extra so that everyone can join in the celebrations. I shall put a note in my 2022 diary to do so.

???????

wildswan16 Wed 02-Jun-21 15:11:36

Esspee

What do you think?

I've just been talking about this with about 10 - 12 other people, all Scottish and living in Scotland.

We all thought it was a lovely idea and hopefully people will think of lasting ways to celebrate the long weekend to honour her service.

There are lots of people who have a great respect for Her Majesty and the monarchy in Scotland so please don't try to tell us differently.

Pittcity Wed 02-Jun-21 15:19:07

Mixed feelings here as it'll be the weekend of DSs 21st birthday and he'll probably have to work as he's in the military and on ceremonial standby at present.
On the other hand we'll be watching as proud parents or enjoying our neighbourhood celebrations.

Mattsmum2 Wed 02-Jun-21 15:19:13

Considering the times we’ve recently had, it’s got to be a good thing for our nation and for the income it brings in. Evidently the monarchy costs each of us 1p per person per day and generate billions of revenue, think that’s good value fir money.
Anything that brings people together is a good thing.

threexnanny Wed 02-Jun-21 15:21:06

I think there are more people who have respect for the Queen than those who don't in the UK. Unfortunately not true of all members of her family. I sincerely hope she does make it to the next jubilee as it is a historic occasion which has nothing to do with her wealth or whether you are pro royals or not.

Scribbles Wed 02-Jun-21 15:39:51

Why on earth would I want to "celebrate" the perpetuation of feudal, forelock-tugging flummery?

I, for one, do not see myself as one of her people. What arrogance, to regard one's fellow citizens as subjects and as "hers"! Generations of monarchs and their relations have become exceedingly wealthy and led hugely privileged lives at the expense of others who, for reasons I have never understood, stand back and smile because it's traditional.

Parades and street parties? Please, include me out.

Sara1954 Wed 02-Jun-21 16:21:02

Count me in.
We will be celebrating, all our family love the Queen,

Blossoming Wed 02-Jun-21 16:22:40

I think the vast majority of UK citizens will be in favour, but my view is my own and I’m not speaking for anybody else. I’m a republican but I think it will do most people good to come together as ‘one nation’ under any banner! Especially after the alienation of lockdown. I’m looking forward to some community events. I hope she’s our last monarch though, I have zero respect for Charles.

I’ve probably annoyed both sides now but there you go.

Namsnanny Wed 02-Jun-21 16:30:06

Eespee I dont give a stuff Well I think perhaps you do.