Gransnet forums

Chat

wokes

(129 Posts)
earnshaw Sat 05-Jun-21 02:36:39

this tidal wake of woke nonsense has to end, many of those fighting these ludicrous battles dont seem to know what they`re fighting for anymore, Just take the new advice handed to university lecturers at Imperial college london, They have been told not to compliment foreign students on their english, .Apparently it could be considered a racist micro aggression. how absurd !
you would have thought a nice bit of praise from a teacher would be welcomed if you had taken the effort to learn a second language, but its just another sign of these ridiculous times we live in, Institutions are so concerned with avoiding every little PC pitfall that they`re tying themselves up in knots , our universities are supposed to be full of the brightest and best academics , yet all many of them seem concerned about is dodging proverbial bullets from snowflakes

NotSpaghetti Sun 27-Jun-21 19:50:21

... and I thought this thread would disappear once the mistake in the OP had been remedied by Lucca's screenshot...

Lin52 Sun 27-Jun-21 19:23:53

PippaZ

Lin52

Stonewall. For me mother’s are mother’s. Will never call them anything else. How has Stonewall got so much influence with the Government, they are now trying to ban dissenters disagreeing with them, or at least their Charity status.

Has someone come to your door and said that you should? If not, why all the nonsense. I expect one of the usual "news" sources is trying to wind people up and oh look ... they've succeeded.

Oh dear me , just putting my thoughts, as I am entitled to do.
There is an article on this, you can find it if you want.Google.
Just for a taster

LGBT groups including Mermaids and Stonewall appeal against decision to make LGB Alliance a charity in transgender row.

Lucca Mon 07-Jun-21 21:33:31

Fennel

Because my poor old brain is starting to lose its ability to discriminate in delicate social situations.
ie I'm becoming more and more tactless .
How can I improve?

Apologies Fennel I think I misinterpreted your post!

lemongrove Mon 07-Jun-21 21:10:10

Just do what you can Fennel and don’t worry about it.
Your real friends will understand.As for strangers, well, it doesn’t matter what they think ( they will be old themselves one day!)

Fennel Mon 07-Jun-21 20:40:12

Because my poor old brain is starting to lose its ability to discriminate in delicate social situations.
ie I'm becoming more and more tactless .
How can I improve?

Lucca Sun 06-Jun-21 22:44:51

Why is being 85 an excuse to be arrogant and tactless?

Fennel Sun 06-Jun-21 21:24:50

ok I accept that my post sounds arrogant and tactless.
But at my age 85 why should I struggle to change the language I've used all these years?
And my concepts of m&f ?
I've had to toughen up many times over the years. It's not a new idea.

geekesse Sun 06-Jun-21 20:50:59

Fennel

When it comes to me changing my use of language in order to avoid hurting the feelings of certain groups (is this woke? )
Sorry it's too late -my language patterns are too ingrained.
But I still apologise if I've hurt you deeply.
And aside - "Toughen up. "

How arrogant! I’d be ashamed to say something like this in a public forum.

I don’t always get it right, but I sure as hell try, and I would never sneer behind their back at someone I inadvertently offended. No-one is too old to learn to be more courteous and thoughtful.

Fennel Sun 06-Jun-21 20:05:23

When it comes to me changing my use of language in order to avoid hurting the feelings of certain groups (is this woke? )
Sorry it's too late -my language patterns are too ingrained.
But I still apologise if I've hurt you deeply.
And aside - "Toughen up. "

Lucca Sun 06-Jun-21 16:07:55

Urmstongran

Well Stonewall's fund raising "Diversity Champions programme" is finished in England. Hopefully, slowly, the tide is turning on all this woke nonsense!

Yay ! Hooray ! Back to closed minds and attitudes !

Lucca Sun 06-Jun-21 16:07:04

nanna8

Woke means people are judgemental and will only hear their own point of view. Not so many here, it is more a British term. Thank the Lord for that. I couldn’t stand all the venom that comes out of their mouths . People have got more sense and will look at different viewpoints over her. Nothing to do with racism, misogyny or anything like that. It is a 4 letter word.

I have always found Australians to be very “woke” actually, I.e. supportive of diversity, aware of eco issues etc etc.

Lucca Sun 06-Jun-21 16:04:45

FannyCornforth

Lin I rarely partake in N&P threads, but I do find that the 'righties' can give as much as the 'lefties'.
I don't think that they are a downtrodden minority on Gransnet!

Thank you FannyCornforth. The voice of reason.

Oldwoman70 Sun 06-Jun-21 13:01:42

I find it strange that an organisation which campaigned for the rights of one group to be recognised are now campaigning against the rights of another group to continue to be recognised

Galaxy Sun 06-Jun-21 13:00:48

It's really not that simple. I would say that standing up to some of stone walls behaviour is actually standing up against misogyny and homophobia. So am I being woke when I do that. So I would say in the case of what is happening to stonewall it is women and large sections of the gay community working to protect their rights. The very definition of woke surely.

Urmstongran Sun 06-Jun-21 12:37:35

Well Stonewall's fund raising "Diversity Champions programme" is finished in England. Hopefully, slowly, the tide is turning on all this woke nonsense!

Alegrias1 Sun 06-Jun-21 12:32:56

nanna8

Woke means people are judgemental and will only hear their own point of view. Not so many here, it is more a British term. Thank the Lord for that. I couldn’t stand all the venom that comes out of their mouths . People have got more sense and will look at different viewpoints over her. Nothing to do with racism, misogyny or anything like that. It is a 4 letter word.

Its not a British term. I said on a conpletely separate thread yesterday that people aren't allowed to have their own meanings for words, and this is another example. (Unless you are Shakespeare, obviously)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

Alegrias1 Sun 06-Jun-21 12:29:32

Lin52

If I can find the comment made to me about ˋstupid´ will repost.

Actually after I posted this morning, somebody did call somebody else stupid. Wasn't about politics though.

I shall retire gracefully.

nanna8 Sun 06-Jun-21 12:14:05

Lin52 Sun 06-Jun-21 12:13:55

If I can find the comment made to me about ˋstupid´ will repost.

Lin52 Sun 06-Jun-21 12:11:05

PippaZ

Lin52

Stonewall. For me mother’s are mother’s. Will never call them anything else. How has Stonewall got so much influence with the Government, they are now trying to ban dissenters disagreeing with them, or at least their Charity status.

Has someone come to your door and said that you should? If not, why all the nonsense. I expect one of the usual "news" sources is trying to wind people up and oh look ... they've succeeded.

Notice you didn’t pick up Greenlady comment on this, showing BBC news reporting of it. I wonder why that is??

Lin52 Sun 06-Jun-21 12:03:34

It has never been pleasant. Misogyny and violence towards women has always been present. Unfortunately today we have all forms of social media, through which the sick and misogynist can perpetuate their vileness. I consider myself lucky to have two brothers and two SIL who respect their wives and daughters and will protect them to the hilt. Not all men are bad.

FannyCornforth Sun 06-Jun-21 10:58:17

Acornfairy
Certainly not!
It's a petulant outburst! smile

AcornFairy Sun 06-Jun-21 10:56:02

FannyCornforth

Acornfairy you can't tell us what to talk about!

Is that a command FannyCornforth!?

Alegrias1 Sun 06-Jun-21 10:47:04

Good point AcornFairy.

I don't think that thinking that people from other countries should be praised for speaking English well is opening anybody's mind.

FannyCornforth Sun 06-Jun-21 10:46:27

Acornfairy you can't tell us what to talk about!