Gransnet forums

Chat

Is the music industry failing youngsters?

(71 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 10:30:41

It seems to me the music industry is failing the younger age group 10-14. I watched the Brit Awards, and all I saw were Tramps and Tarts plus lots of swearing.

It's either:
- slow depressing songs of misery and angst
- rapping black boys singing goodness knows what
- girl groups who look like strippers

Where are the Kylies and Jasons, Rick Astleys, Bay City Rollers, Monkees, all the fun groups that used to be around for young teenagers? As far as I can see the music industry is failing to provide happy bubble gum music for the 10-14 age group, thus forcing them to listen to what is adult music.

Correct me if I’m wrong, please do, because I’m feeling so sorry for youngsters of today who seem to be missing out on happy music.

Galaxy Sat 05-Jun-21 12:47:50

I am not sure how calling young girls tarts helps address that misogyny though.

hollysteers Sat 05-Jun-21 12:49:24

EllenVannin do you have statistics regarding suicide among pop singers?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the rate of suicide was no more than in the general population.

Namsnanny Sat 05-Jun-21 12:49:58

Yes you make a good point hollysteers
I have a relative who teaches music, so I hear a little about the difficulties.

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 12:51:24

Galaxy

I am not sure how calling young girls tarts helps address that misogyny though.

Well we all know what tarts are and how they dress. No-one is calling young girls tarts, just pointing out that they are dressing like tarts.

muse Sat 05-Jun-21 12:52:01

Blondiescot

Absolute nonsense - as someone else has pointed out, artistes like Elvis, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones were all denounced for allegedly corrupting young people - and I bet a lot of you moaning about today's music loved them! What about punk - that was my music in my early teens, and somehow I survived and became a (relatively) normal adult...
Music has always been about rebellion - and long may that be the case.

Agree Bondiescot

Music is changing for each generation. Some music overlaps generations, such as soul, motown and indie. My parents in the 1960s couldn't understand my love of soul. I don't listen to as much new music as I used to but still at 71 enjoy indie music and new indie artists.

You ask who there is now Chestnut. My eldest granddaughter at the age of 14 (2 years ago) introduced me to an artist called Billy Eilish who would be classed as alternative indie.

I found it easy to enjoy music my children liked as there is a 20 and 22 year gap between us. However, there is a 55 - 60 year gap between myself and my grandchildren.

Like my parents not liking or understanding soul music, I don't enjoy listening to or understand rap. However, there's a wide range of genres these days so there is plenty of choice for the 10-14 year olds. I agree that there are some artists I would want my grandchildren to listen but artists such as Billie Eilish are not a let down.

PaperMonster Sat 05-Jun-21 12:52:03

Haha! My ten year old loves 80s music and soft rock!

Namsnanny Sat 05-Jun-21 12:52:40

Sorry, with regards to music education I mean!

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 12:52:51

Although many of the girl groups dress like strippers or S&M performers.

Galaxy Sat 05-Jun-21 12:54:51

Yes tart is a horrible word to describe young women, you are complaining about music today harming women, and I think there is a debate to be had there, whilst using derogatory language about women yourself.

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 12:57:37

Muse can you suggest a decent song by Billy Eilish? I'd like to take a look/listen on You Tube. I seem to remember her singing some depressing song and I couldn't make it through to the end! Has she written anything fairly happy?

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 12:59:20

Galaxy

Yes tart is a horrible word to describe young women, you are complaining about music today harming women, and I think there is a debate to be had there, whilst using derogatory language about women yourself.

We are not calling young girls tarts! Get a grip. They are dressing like tarts because that is what they see on TV.

Galaxy Sat 05-Jun-21 13:05:41

I wont get a grip thanks though. Your statements appeared to be mired in the misogyny you are complaining about.

SiobhanSharpe Sat 05-Jun-21 13:06:52

Sadly, if they're dressing 'like tarts' it's because they're told to by their management. Sex sells.

trisher Sat 05-Jun-21 13:09:26

The Rolling Stones were such bad boys! And then there was The Who smashing up drum kits and guitars and Jim Morrison and The Doors all stoned. While we paraded round in skirts so short our parents had kittens.
My DS loved Kurt Cobain and a band called Placebo.
Guess what we all came through it and we've grown up comparitively well.
The Brit Awards aren't all the music there is around and some teens may only listen to that sort of stuff but actually they have a huge variety of music available to them and many make really good choices. And personally I'm not sure that the "fun" groups are really a good choice there's better stuff out there.

Hithere Sat 05-Jun-21 13:14:37

No, the music world always oversexualized their participants and went to make the most profit.

Just because some singers are classics now, doesnt mean they raised a few eyebrows when they came out

Kate1949 Sat 05-Jun-21 13:24:22

I can remember seeing The Rolling Stones at a small venue in the '60s. We were right at the front. Brian Jones did a wee into a beer bottle! Fortunately his aim was good grin

Galaxy Sat 05-Jun-21 13:28:26

I mean Kylie went through a very interesting phase which was highly sexualised. There is definitely a conversation to be had about young girls in the music industry, I mean look at Billie Piper for example and that must have been over 20 years ago.

Nezumi65 Sat 05-Jun-21 13:37:26

Kylie/Madonna etc were highly sexualised. Madonna used to bang on about sex all the time. I think you are forgetting some of the lyrics of the 80’s - orgasm addict anyone? I remember my mum complaining about some Howard Jones lyrics confused

I think you are seeing the past through rose tinted spectacles. I find a lot of the music these days fairly bland rather than raunchy. And there is plenty of gentle, relaxing music. Have a listen to Ben Howard for example. He’s popular with the yoof.

Nezumi65 Sat 05-Jun-21 13:37:58

And what everyone else said about the use of ‘tarts’.

Nezumi65 Sat 05-Jun-21 13:41:12

When my kids were young I used to play Batyar rather than Bigmouth in the car. Batyar is a cover of Bigmouth by The Smiths but on Romanian. I felt the original lyrics were not very suitable for young children.

vegansrock Sat 05-Jun-21 14:12:13

Weren’t oldies horrified by Elvis and his sexy gyrations?

Galaxy Sat 05-Jun-21 14:15:30

I think Billie Piper is beginning to talk about what happened to her when she was very young in the record industry, it will be interesting to see if women who have been through it speaking out has any impact.

Chestnut Sat 05-Jun-21 14:17:02

Galaxy

I wont get a grip thanks though. Your statements appeared to be mired in the misogyny you are complaining about.

Well instead of coming here to pick holes in other people's posts why don't you comment on the subject we are discussing.

Galaxy Sat 05-Jun-21 14:22:38

I have been. It's part of the whole picture, the language we use about women, and the exploitation often very very young women experience. The example of Billie piper, she was 15 when she was releasing her first single, the way those women were treated was horrendous.

Ellianne Sat 05-Jun-21 14:23:25

Talking of orgasms, what about 1969 when Jane Birkin having an orgasm made it to the top of the charts? I still remember the erotic sounds of her having sex. Wasn't it organ music too? So unique it was almost Art! I believe it was Number One in the charts for a while.
The Beatles lyrics are full of innuendos. Just because it isn't explicit it is still there.