Gransnet forums

Chat

Specsavers Hearing Aids

(49 Posts)
NotTooOld Tue 18-Jan-22 16:31:17

I'm waiting for my new Specsavers digital Bluetooth hearing aids to arrive next week. I did my research and I have friends who swear by these, say they have changed their life and so on and as I have got to the stage of not being able to hear what the grandchildren say, I thought I should take action. Has anyone got these and what is your experience of them, please? How did you cope with the technology?

muse Fri 24-Jun-22 11:41:09

I started with a Specsavers test but had to go through the hospital for their tests as I had tinnitus.

My free NHS aids are bluetooth and the BeMore app has two settings, each with 4 different functions. Brilliant. For example, if I’m in a cafe I choose the restaurant setting and then ‘speech focus’. That enables me to hear anyone with me and cuts out much of the surrounding noise.

All parts of the aid are replaced free of charge. The only thing I’d have to pay for is if I lost one. I think that’s £75.

Give them a go dissillusioned2022. The audiologist will talk you through how to use the app.

CrazyMazy Fri 24-Jun-22 09:22:18

I had NHS Hearing Aids for 20 years and over that time had several different types of hearing aids. But it was the attitude of some of the Audiologists that made me go private. When I was younger and working they treated me with respect but now I am elderly I was verbally abused by many an audiologist and quite often I would be seen by a different person. It has been costly to go private but at least I can chose a hearing aid that meets my challenging needs as I age. I can arrange my own appointments and not be left waiting for hours in hospital clinics. My hearing is so very important to me that I am willing to forego others things to pay for my hearing aids. I feel more in control of my choice of hearing aids.

DaisyAnne Fri 24-Jun-22 09:00:00

I thought that in some areas the NHS had outsourced to companies like Specsavers. Did I get this wrong?

wildswan16 Fri 24-Jun-22 08:57:28

Do you not want to hear your family and other people when they speak to you? Have you ever wondered what it is like for the other people to have to repeat everything? What a lot you are missing out on. You say they ignore you - but maybe you aren't hearing them trying to include you!

It isn't about changing the sort of person you are. If you don't like social gatherings - that doesn't need to change. But hearing what people are saying, feeling a part of family life, is important.

Hearing aids are much smaller and less visible than they used to be. I would suggest you make an appointment with one of the High Street clinics (maybe Boots or Specsavers) and get your ears tested - then, if they think you would benefit from hearing aids you can decide whether or not you want to go ahead. You might just find it makes you a lot happier.

dissillusioned2022 Fri 24-Jun-22 07:43:03

I have been going deaf for some time, but do not like the idea of wearing NHS hearing aids, and do not like people touching my ears. I use an IPOD to listen to stories and would not want a hearing aid that I could not use an IPOD with. Also my husband has the tele up high and I hate it, never watch tele much anyway only Eastenders and vet programmes with subtitles. Also I have peirced ears and wear a variety of earings. My family get very frustrated with me and often just ignore me - I feel invisible - just somebody to fetch and carry etc. I am 72 and enjoy my own company - don't like coffeee mornings, or gatherings of that sort. Have short hair and would hate for a hearing aid to show. Keep thinking about a hering aid, but there is so much to choose from and I am not techy minded really, also have very little patience.

choughdancer Sat 21-May-22 15:50:35

Thanks NotTooOld. I think I'll do that. I'm glad you were refunded by Specsavers, and I hope you find a hearing aid to suit you soon too.

wildswan16 Fri 20-May-22 07:25:48

I love my bluetooth digital aids. I did go private and realise that cost me a little more - but I now have absolutely nothing to pay for the next five years, can visit my audiologist as often as I want, get all the new "bits" that I need etc. Seeing the same person and knowing their qualifications is a big bonus too. If they need any adjustment that can even be done remotely without me visiting their practice.

The technology really isn't complicated. A simple app on my phone. They connect directly to my iphone so I hear directly into the aids and I have three easily changed programmes for normal and noisier situations.

They really have made an enormous difference.

NotTooOld Thu 19-May-22 21:59:03

No problem, choughdancer.

Just wanted to say I did eventually return my aids to Specsavers and got my money back with no problem and no argument at all. You do have to make sure you are within the 100 (or it may be 90) day return period.

I've come to the conclusion that although I'm reasonably tech savvy I am not a patient person and the digital aids were just too much faff for me. I've decided to do without for a few months and then maybe consult an independent audiologist about getting some simple and basic aids that might suit me better. I really can't be a**ed with the digital ones.

So there you have it, choughdancer, I'd skip the digital ones, especially as you say your mum is not familiar with IT, and get the simplest ones you can find. Maybe try some new NHS ones? Good luck!

silverlining48 Thu 19-May-22 21:02:29

Would suggest nhs referral via Surgery. Or enquire at Boots or Specsavers. As I wrote above my dh is very happy with his new nhs aids. Wishing your mum well. Being hard of hearing is so isolating.

choughdancer Thu 19-May-22 20:31:47

I'm going to take my mum to get some new hearing aids, and wonder if you have any advice? She's 99, totally non digital, does not have a smartphone, doesn't know what an app is etc. etc. She had NHS ones about 10 years ago and more recently found them awkward (I think they were probably just worn out!). My brother bought her some off the shelf ones that look like small draughts (the game not the wind!), which keep falling out, so I think it's time to get her some decent ones. I would be so grateful for any advice and apologise NotTooOld for using your OP!

ayse Thu 19-May-22 19:38:36

My DH has NHS digital hearing aids plus free batteries plus servicing etc. He’s going to be going back soon for reassessment. BTW, he lost one hearing aid and Specsavers NHS charged him £90 for a replacement whilst a straightforward NHS one from the local audiology dept cost £50.

silverlining48 Thu 19-May-22 19:30:25

My dh old aid broke down the other day, he couldn’t hearcat all He was given an appointment today and was given a new set of the latest aids and was told hearing aids all work the same way and the ones he now has are £2000 each. He was given two packs of batteries and feels confident in the service he has from the hospital.
Private businesses are profit motivated so have their own agenda.

Puzzled Thu 19-May-22 17:11:06

Friends who have bought hearing aids, many do not use them, despite having spent thousands, ("itchy", "can't get on with them".
Was referred by my Doctor. Within 30 mins came out hearing rain thundering on my umbrella! They were set up after a hearing test to asses each ear.
After three years changed for digital version. After 5 years one failed. "About the life" was the Audiologist's comment so given new ones, set up after another hearing test.
A satisfied user.

Grandma2213 Sat 19-Mar-22 02:51:29

Libman I had NHS hearing aids from Specsavers which I rarely wore because I found everything too loud, especially the grandchildren! When I finally went back after lockdowns for an updated test I admitted it and the lady just readjusted them. They are much better now.

Franbern Fri 18-Mar-22 13:45:29

I have had NHS hearing aids for over twenty years now. Current ones via Specsavers. Seen them change from bulky ones to those that are virtually invisible when in place. I take them out at night, and i f I watch tv from my bed I have a wonderful set of earphones that puts the tv sound directly into my ears from that with no-one else disturbed, no matter how loud I have it.

I think that a part of the problem is that people getting hearing aids for the first time, have the idea that they then put them into their ears and everything is wonderful again. This is not the case, and any new hearing aid should be used just for a couple of hours a day at first, slowly increasing this time over the next three or four weeks. This way, there will be no irritation to the ears, and your own brain will slowly acclimatise itself to the noises you are hearing.

Even when getting replacement aid, I do find the first couple of weeks with them quite difficult - then my brain gets together with them and all is okay.

But too many people, seem to give up trying to use hearing aids far too quickly. They also seem to think that paying out vast sums of money for them MUST mean they are better - usually they are not. NHS ones are excellent, but having paid out those vast sums people are more likely to persevere with their use, the 'free' ones from the NHS they just discard.

NotTooOld Fri 11-Mar-22 15:00:17

Floradora9

DH got these but returned them and went to Boots . They were more expensive but far better.

I'm tempted to take mine back. I've had them less than 100 days. Did your DH get his money back without hassle?

Floradora9 Thu 10-Mar-22 18:16:04

DH got these but returned them and went to Boots . They were more expensive but far better.

NotTooOld Thu 10-Mar-22 17:22:51

Marmite - they are definitely a mixed blessing, aren't they? What has really put me off is reading on the internet that hearing aids can affect your own hearing, so the more you wear the aids the worse your own hearing will get. I wish I'd known that before I got mine. I'm pretty sure Specsavers told me that was not the case but the seed of doubt has been sown with me and it is too late to unsow it.

NannyJan53 Tue 08-Mar-22 21:24:19

I have had NHS hearing aids for 15 years now. Never had a problem with them.

In January I had a hearing test and was issued with Phonak aids, they connect to Blue Tooth on my phone, and now on a phone call the speech goes direct to into my ears, which is an absolute boon for me. No more asking people to repeat themselves. The batteries are free, and I cannot see that private ones are any better, as they are tailored to your hearing test results.

Marmite32 Tue 08-Mar-22 17:22:29

NottooOld - I feel the same about mine (NHS). I only wear them when in conversation with someone and they do help a bit. I realise I depend on lipreading a lot.
Husband persuaded me to try private ones and a rep. came to the house to do an assessment and I had a trial period.
I can honestly say they were no better than the NHS. And one cost over £3000.
The main problem is the inconvenience of remembering to put them in,where are they?keep them clean etc

NotTooOld Tue 08-Mar-22 16:42:05

Sounds like a sensible idea, GrandmaKT. I only wear my Specsavers hearing aids for watching TV now. They crackle when my hair touches them and sometimes I think I can hear better without them as they make my ears feel blocked up. They are just a big faff for not much benefit tbh. I'm going to have to go back and get them sorted, I suppose.

GrandmaKT Tue 15-Feb-22 20:11:16

I have NHS hearing aids from Specsavers. I find it hard to know whether they help my hearing or not. I don't understand why when I have a hearing test it isn't the same format as a sight test - e.g. test what you can hear without the aids then test what you can hear with them in. I just get tested without the aids, given the aids they say I need and sent on my way, is that the same for everyone?

LOUISA1523 Tue 15-Feb-22 19:56:05

Bossyrossy

The cost of private hearing aide is extortionate. NHS ones are just as good and free.

They are not just as good and they are not extortionate ?...my mum got some moulded ones from Boots ( she has a very small ear canal therefore the domes do not go in far enougj) ..... they are brilliant she heats so much better now especially in groups...no more batteries to mess with ....they cost 2.5k with 15 percent discount....which I don't think is extortionate at all ( she could have got them cheaper but opted for the high end ones with more power) when they have made such a difference

Deedaa Tue 15-Feb-22 19:20:48

I just wear a pair of bog standard NHS hearing aids from Specsavers. They work, I forget I'm wearing them, they're free and the batteries are free. I have an annual hearing check and I'm due a new pair at the end of this year. What's not to like?

NotTooOld Mon 07-Feb-22 22:19:00

Just came back to say I now have my Specsavers hearing aids and they are very good, well worth the money. This morning I went for my first walk with the aids connected by Bluetooth to my phone, so I was able to walk along listening to a podcast or the radio. Brilliant! They are very easy to put in and do not fall out easily although you do have to take care when putting on or taking off a mask. They do not irritate my ears and I can forget I am wearing them, they are so comfortable. The app would not download to my phone while I was at the shop but I have since downloaded it at home. It was very easy to connect it to the hearing aids and now I can adjust the volume on my phone, as well as on the actual hearing aids, if I want to. I have to see the audiologist again tomorrow for some more instruction on what the app can do. If you are not keen on using the app, you don't have to. It just gives you access to extra features. Perhaps I should add that there are other purveyors of hearing aids!