Gransnet forums

Chat

Knickerbocker Glory A Great Dessert Name

(73 Posts)
silverspoon125 Wed 25-May-22 08:22:58

Knickerbocker Glory popped into my head this morning (not sure why) - is this the best Dessert name and what's your favourite, craziest, funniest

Lexisgranny Thu 26-May-22 13:19:06

Many of these desserts Knickerbocker Glory, Banana Split etc remind me of visits as a child to Selfridge’s‘Soda Fountain’, everything there seemed to be like an American film, rather than austere post war UK. Such happy thoughts.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 26-May-22 13:28:14

As the thread started about unique names, how about Sally Lunn's? A large bun, made in Bath apparently originally by a lady called Sally Lunn. These can be eaten either as a sweet or savoury dish, depending on what you have in or on it. There is a tea shoppe in Bath going back to the year dot, where this local food can be sampled. Not for the faint hearted, they're pretty big!

hazel93 Thu 26-May-22 13:33:09

This thread made me laugh as DGD asked me only yesterday, ""Now it's Summer when can we have the "pants
pud " again "
Goes to show a classic is just that. She is only 3 !

crazygranny Thu 26-May-22 13:44:11

Black Forest Gateau?

Grantanow Thu 26-May-22 13:54:51

Violet creme brulee. But Knickerbocker Glory is good too.

dumdum Thu 26-May-22 14:05:56

Eton Mess

Lupin Thu 26-May-22 14:13:31

I once had an Eton Mess made with rhubarb and ginger. It was gorgeous.
Anything with cherries and chocolate tempts me but only Black Forest desserts come to mind, I make a Black Forest Trifle with store cupboard ingredients and it is a family favourite .

SachaMac Thu 26-May-22 14:34:55

Banoffee pie ?

seadragon Thu 26-May-22 14:44:31

We had our Knickerbocker Glories from Holburn Ices in Holburn Street in Aberdeen. The owners were Italian who spoke Aberdeonian with wonderful Aberdonian accents. They provided the KG's - a glorious combination of cream, ice-cream and fruit - crammed into a tightly sealed milk carton to eat at home. Imagine my disappointment recently when I excitedly collected 2 from a new cafe in a nearby town and they were supplied with no sealant or lid and both had turned into a soup by the time I got home....

Alioop Thu 26-May-22 14:47:47

I loved a visit to Morelli's ice cream parlour on our holidays on the North Antrim Coast. When you were small you started on a Kiddies Joy which was jelly and ice cream, then in your teens it was a North Pole which was a smaller version of a Knickerbocker Glory and then around 16 yrs old you finally got the big one. There was a tinned pudding when I was a child called Nestle Sweetheart that came in pear and strawberry flavours, you just had to whisk milk into it.

Lizzie44 Thu 26-May-22 15:12:20

I first saw a Knickerbocker Glory on holiday as a child in the 1950s. I couldn't take my eyes off it and the people eating them at a cafe in Bournemouth. My mother told me the name which added to its exoticism. The tall glasses, the long-handled spoons, the ice cream, the bright red sauce swirling through it, the glace cherry on the top. How I longed for one but I knew it was way beyond anything we could afford. An ice cream cone on the last day of the holiday was our special treat. I vowed that one day I would have a Knickerbocker G. But, by the time I could afford one I could think of nothing I'd least like to eat.... just the sight of all that sickly sauce. Ugh.

Fiona44 Thu 26-May-22 21:24:29

Knickerbocker Glory with my gran at Nardini's in Largs, the deep glass, the special long spoon, the delicious layers, the luxury... what memories! Thanks OP, had forgotten that!

grannybuy Thu 26-May-22 22:54:43

Snap Seadragon! If that cafe was still open, they’d be very popular.

grannybuy Thu 26-May-22 22:56:16

Clootie - in clootie dumpling - is the cloth in which the pudding is wrapped for steaming.

travelsafar Fri 27-May-22 06:46:58

Lemon meringue pie with crumbly pastry,sharp lemon filling , and crisp meringue, can't beat it.??

Audi10 Fri 27-May-22 09:08:53

Banana long boat for me loved it

Elegran Fri 27-May-22 09:28:26

hulahoop

My oh used to live Charlotte Roux think that's how you spell it, his mum used to have to order it,I have never seen it.

I think that was Charlotte Russe.

Elegran Fri 27-May-22 09:30:13

My mother used to make a jam rolypoly, a suet pastry spread with jam and rolled up, steamed in a cloth - jam oozing out when she sliced it. The local name for that was "dead baby", It put me off it.

annsixty Fri 27-May-22 10:03:30

My favourite unusual name and a lovely pudding as well is Danish peasant girl with veil.
A delicious concoction of stewed apple, fried buttered sugary breadcrumbs and cream.
Simple ingredients coming together in a delightful way.

Bluecat Fri 27-May-22 11:09:08

In the Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin books about the British navy in Napoleonic times, the ship's officers are very partial to their puddings. Two favourites are Spotted Dog and Boiled Baby. Both are suet puddings, the former presumably being the same as Spotted Dick. Boiled Baby was also known as Drowned Baby, though both names are quite off-putting.

Treetops05 Fri 27-May-22 19:30:13

Marydoll

Tablet ice cream sundae or crème brûlée with raspberries.

Tablet ice-cream? How? Please, please tell - 50% Scot with a love of tablet (which I make) but Tablet ice-cream? Heaven x

Marydoll Fri 27-May-22 19:37:52

Topsy Irene, one of the restaurants we frequent, has it on the menu. Vanilla ice cream, with tablet pieces throughout the ice cream, toffee sauce and tablet crumbled on top, all in a tall sundae glass. Finished of with an Italian wafer! It is to die for, if you have a sweet tooth.

To tempt you even further, that restaurant is not too far away from you. wink