Gransnet forums

Chat

Expensive, but worth it, purchases?

(90 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 22-Mar-17 20:33:25

Two of my favourite gadgets are ones I would never have bought for myself because of the price. My cordless Dyson vacuum cleaner was a Gransnet prize and my iPad mini was a gift. Now that I know their worth I will replace them when the time comes, but it's got me wondering: What else is out there that I think is too expensive to justify buying?

Tallulah57 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:01:35

I would love to try the new Dyson hairdryer but just couldn't justify the £300 shock. Anyone been lucky enough to give it a go?

Coolgran65 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:09:53

I agree with the cordless Dyson.

My other expensive purchase isn't a gadget - it's footwear. Or what would be expensive if I didn't buy it reduced..... still expensive ?? My walking shoes are German made, can't recall the name but I bought them about 10 years ago in TKMaxx where they were reduced to £105 (still massively expensive). Olive green suede, light as a feather and very very substantial. I bought them prior to going to Edinburgh and doing a lot of 'cobble walking'.

I've a pair of Gabor grey suede lace up trainer type, again could wear them for ever.

A pair of tan leather lace up Reiker boots which were £65 - paid full price for them.

And a pair of Clarks boots listed on the Clarks web site at £89 and I got them on eBay (new) for £16.

My feet look normal but are very narrow and bony and there's always been a difficulty getting shoes to fit. Lace ups are very helpful.

Years ago I wouldn't have considered paying for expensive footwear, now they are my everything - comfort is my goal with a little style as a bonus.

Coolgran65 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:12:05

Oh..... I'd love that Dyson hairdryer. Definitely couldn't justify the price.

Morgana Wed 22-Mar-17 21:16:02

Bought a pair of expensive jeans some years ago
They were about 90 pounds. I never told anyone how much they cost
I felt ashamed of the price. BUT they fit perfectly and lasted ages. So they were worth it!

janeainsworth Wed 22-Mar-17 21:24:36

The original Miss Dior perfume blush

Badenkate Wed 22-Mar-17 21:50:07

They have a Dyson fan at our surgery in the nurses clinic which I had a look at last week while having an ECG. It just blows out around the edgae and you can put your had right through the centre where the fan would normally be. They are quite amazing. I don't have a hairdryer though - my hair just dries naturally.

Badenkate Wed 22-Mar-17 21:50:58

'edge' and 'hand' sorry.

gillybob Wed 22-Mar-17 23:16:33

I have a Dyson fan positioned (as I speak/type)!within inches of my bed. DH has covers pulled up to his head but I am boiling over as usual (due to menopause). It was expensive (bought it on a 6months interest free Argos deal) but it has paid for itself 1000% as its so effective and so quite. I can also up the speed/cool with the little remote control.

hummingbird Wed 22-Mar-17 23:59:47

I've got the Dyson hairdryer (a gift from my lovely daughter), but to be honest I'm disappointed with it. Yes, it's very light and easy to use, but at the end of the day, all you get is dry hair! ? I definitely wouldn't pay that sort of money myself! I've got the Dyson fan too. Now that's brilliant!

Christinefrance Thu 23-Mar-17 00:46:03

Definitely shoes for me and Clarins face creams. I have a problem with the heat as well so may try the Dyson fan this summer.

suzied Thu 23-Mar-17 06:17:10

I guess anything you love and use/ gives you pleasure is worth investing in and justifies the expense! I love my Bernina sewing machine as I use it everyday and it's brilliant.

gillybob Thu 23-Mar-17 07:59:20

It's worth it's weight in gold to me Christinefrance and I couldn't be without it. It's also super safe where there a little ones as there are no blades whirring around either. I sure it all year around on various settings and because it's so quiet it doesn't bother DH . smile

Stansgran Thu 23-Mar-17 08:28:36

Suzied snap. I love my Bernina.

Versavisa Thu 23-Mar-17 10:40:35

Best thing I've bought in a long time is a water softener. Not cheap but easy to use and maintain. Lovely to have soft water, minimal use of toiletries and cleaning products and much less cleaning to do. Wish I had thought of having one decades ago.

grannyactivist Thu 23-Mar-17 10:43:00

Interesting about the Dyson fan: another item I looked at, but couldn't imagine how to justify the expense.

Jayanna9040 Thu 23-Mar-17 10:48:00

An original picture. I looked at it in the shop every time I went past but couldn't justify the money. Then one day it was gone. I was devastated. Then I spotted it propped up against the wall. Bought it there and then!

vampirequeen Thu 23-Mar-17 11:36:40

I love my Dyson hoover and would like a Dyson fan. My most expensive purchase though was our bed and mattress. DH has back problems and the mattress he chose (I can sleep on a line) was very expensive but helps him enormously.

goldengirl Thu 23-Mar-17 13:14:01

It's worth the expense if (a) it's what you really want (b) it does what you expect from it (c) it lasts longer than a cheaper version

I'm trying to persuade myself to buy a Dyson cordless. I have battery operated vacuum cleaners but they get bunged up very quickly and aren't easy to clear out though they're nice and light to use.

I like Clarins body lotion - but that lasts for ages. Therefore justified

I love YSL fragrances too

I love Rieker shoes but have to think whether they're really necessary as I have to have one raised. But clothes I don't like spending too much on - we have cats and kids [GC that is, not the four legged variety].

ninathenana Thu 23-Mar-17 14:33:56

The most expesive thing I've ever bought appart from our house and car is our beautiful wooden sleigh bed and good quality mattress. £1000 + but sooo worth it.

MargaretX Thu 23-Mar-17 15:15:00

I have pieced ears and as I get older the earlobes are becoming long and flabby (they need lifting)
Most of my earrings don't fit or hang right and last November I went into a jewellers and bought real diamond studs set in white gold.
Not only do they look good but they have kept my ears healthy and I keep them in all day and everyday.
They cost the same as a small holiday break but I have not regretted it all.

millymouge Thu 23-Mar-17 15:17:49

Another Bernina lover here. A much appreciated gift from DH

FlorenceFlower Thu 23-Mar-17 15:48:57

Yes, love my Bernina sewing machine. Got it from my parents for my 21st birthday present so it's now 40+ years old. Still feels like new, wouldn't be without it!

?

Stansgran Thu 23-Mar-17 16:14:00

We should have a Bernina lovers owners thread

shysal Thu 23-Mar-17 16:55:26

This is the third thread on which I have mentioned my GTECH cordless vacuum cleaner, hedge trimmer and grass strimmer. I wish I could justify buying one of their electric bicycles, but at over £1000 I just can't!

I read reviews of the Dyson fan and some mentioned that it was very noisy, which put me off. What do others who have one think?

I buy expensive NYDJ jeans because they fit me so well. They can be well over £100, but I find them cheaper on Ebay.

An impulse buy was a turquoise iridescent Baccarat pendant that I spotted in a jeweller's window. I have worn it many times and it is always admired, but I still have a feeling of guilt. I have conveniently forgotten the price, but it was 3 figures. blush