Gransnet forums

Chat

Update on granddaughte's operation

(29 Posts)
TheMaggiejane1 Thu 25-May-17 11:17:22

Some of you may remember that many months ago I asked for ideas for fundraising £50.000 for an operation to help my 7 year old disabled GD to walk. Many of you were very kind and helpful so I thought I would let you know that we succeeded in our efforts and her operation is to be carried out at Great Ormond Street tomorrow! Fundraising was an amazing experience, we took on some challenges that we never thought we could do and there are so many lovely and generous people in the world.

Life has been a bit difficult over the last few months as as soon as my GD's operation was arranged my D, her mother, found out she was pregnant. It was a very fraught and worrying pregnancy but she gave birth to a beautiful daughter in March. Unfortunately 2 weeks afterwards my daughter had a pulmonary embolism and has been very ill. However she has made enough progress to be able to go to GOS with her daughter for the operation and we hope after my GD's 3 weeks stay that things will start to improve!

I will be so glad when tomorrow is over, I feel like a nervous wreck at the moment.

gillybob Thu 25-May-17 11:55:20

I'm not surprised you feel like a nervous wreck TheMaggiejane1

You and your poor family have been through an awful lot. Life just isn't fair sometimes is it?

I do hope that once this this operation is over things will start looking up for your little GD and the whole family.

Sending you all good wishes.flowers and sunshine

grannylyn65 Thu 25-May-17 12:08:26

flowersflowers

Crafting Thu 25-May-17 12:18:20

themaggiejane1 you must be exhausted with worry. Congratulations on the birth of you new granddaughter. I do hope your DD makes a good recovery soon. What a shock for you all. Very best wishes for your DGD op tomorrow. Hope all goes well flowers

annsixty Thu 25-May-17 13:10:42

Such a worrying time maggiej hope all goes well for you all. Best wishes and flowers

nanaK54 Thu 25-May-17 13:21:03

All good wishes from me too flowersand sunshine

TheMaggiejane1 Thu 25-May-17 14:03:42

Thank you ladies. She's such a positive little character, I'm sure she'll take it all in her stride.

ninathenana Thu 25-May-17 14:58:17

Best wishes to you all.
I hope your GD and her mummy both make a speedy recovery.

Luckygirl Thu 25-May-17 16:13:14

Enough! - you must be so frazzled by all these worries. Let us hope that with your DD on the mend and the surgery about to go ahead for DGD your life will take a turn for the better. I do hope so.

Faye Thu 25-May-17 16:47:45

Maggiej sounds like your family have been through a lot recently. Congratulations on your new grandchild and my best wishes for your DD and GD. flowers

Cherrytree59 Thu 25-May-17 21:18:24

I wish your grand daughter a successful operation.

You truly are an amazing family raising the funds for your DGD operation.

I hope that your DD makes a full recovery and you are all able to enjoy a lovely family life with your DGD and her baby sister.

Grannyknot Thu 25-May-17 21:54:24

Well done mj smile - I remember your original post. All the best for your granddaughter.

Maggiemaybe Thu 25-May-17 22:28:06

My very best wishes to you all, TheMaggiejane1. Your family has certainly been through the mill lately. Surely you've had your fair share of troubles and everything will go well for you from now on. flowers

Penstemmon Thu 25-May-17 22:44:08

Rooting for you and your family mj Hope that life becomes easier for you all. flowers

cornergran Thu 25-May-17 23:34:43

My best wishes to you all flowers

TheMaggiejane1 Fri 26-May-17 07:45:30

Thank you for all your kind wishes, she went down to surgery at 7.30 and the operation takes 6 hours so it will be a long morning. I'm staying at my daughter's to look after their 12 year old and there are lots of things I could be doing but I don't seem to have got myself moving at the moment! Must keep busy, must keep busy!

gillybob Fri 26-May-17 08:05:07

It will be a very long 6 hours indeed Maggiejane but try to focus on the fact that it will be over soon and then hopefully life can start getting back to normal (whatever normal is? I often wonder) . Do try and keep busy but don't forget to sit down, have a cup of tea and relax. You will need your strength for the days ahead. Do keep us posted. I do hope your DGD's op goes very well. Best wished to all. smile

Grannyknot Fri 26-May-17 09:07:56

We'll sit with you Maggie and keep you company. (I know about long hours with a child in surgery).

flowers

TheMaggiejane1 Fri 26-May-17 11:34:34

Thank you grannyknot, that brought tears to my eyes. I've walked into town and back and there's a pile of ironing I should be attacking but can't seem to find the energy. Oh it's such a long 6 hours and she went down an hour late apparently!!

TheMaggiejane1 Fri 26-May-17 15:06:02

Well, I've heard from them at last. She's out of surgery. They have had a difficult hour in recovery with her, apparently, she was in pain and was very frightened, which is unlike her as she's usually very calm about things. Anyway she's calmed down now so they can start to relax a bit. She's got to lie on her back until Monday! When physiotherapy consists of sitting up apparently. A few tricky days coming up I fear.

annsixty Fri 26-May-17 16:46:10

In spite of that difficulty you must all be very relieved it is over.
Good wishes for a steady recovery and a successful outcome for her.

Luckygirl Fri 26-May-17 18:07:54

It can be scary in recovery for a little one - she will have been confused and her brain will have been a bit addled from the GA. But she will forget all that once she is truly on the mend - not long now; this is the most difficult bit, and it is nearly over. flowers

TheMaggiejane1 Sat 27-May-17 13:00:45

Further update! She timefaced me and her brother last night! She had eaten lunch (lying down!) and she was really excited about showing her brother her 'wee bag'. Lots and lots of physiotherapy ahead but such a relief that the actual operation is over. Thank you for all your supportive messages.

Luckygirl Sat 27-May-17 13:44:12

It is remarkable how quickly children recover. Such good news.

Grannyknot Sat 27-May-17 18:42:13

maggie I think it's "facetime" ? (but easily done). It did make me smile.

Great that it's all behind all of you and she is on the mend.