Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Take part in a survey about genetic testing for The Wellcome Trust

(37 Posts)
KatieBGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 21-May-13 16:31:36

We've been asked by the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute to ask Gransnetters to fill in a survey they're running on genetic testing.

Here's what they say about the survey: "Your genes can tell you about your past, present and future medical health. Very soon, full genome testing (the ability to look at all 20,000+ genes) will be available in the health service. Like Angelina Jolie, you could have a genetic test and find out what you are at risk from. What would you want to know? Alzheimers? Cancer? Mental health issues? Or maybe you'd rather not know? Our research from Cambridge (www.genomethics.org) will have a direct impact on the way this testing is offered, find out about the possibilities and the ethical issues raised by this (no prior knowledge about genetics needed).

Complete our survey and tell your friends:
https://survey.sanger.ac.uk/genomethics/"

Many thanks,

GNHQ

glassortwo Tue 11-Jun-13 20:34:20

Done, very thought provoking.

libra10 Tue 11-Jun-13 13:43:09

Interesting questionnaire.

Mishap Sun 02-Jun-13 15:16:13

Done. I think that knowledge is power.

I know that I am a CF carrier and have been able to tell my children this, so that they can make an informed choice about whether to be tested themselves. One has (and knows she has at least one carrier child) and the other two chose not to (one because her family is complete, and the other because she rated the risk as low - so far so good, one healthy child). But at least they knew and had the choice.

hummingbird Thu 30-May-13 21:48:03

Done. Made me think!

grandimars Thu 30-May-13 11:46:56

Done, very interesting exercise.

Marelli Wed 29-May-13 15:42:50

Done. I feel that even if something were to happen to me later on in life that I couldn't avoid, at least I could prepare myself for it gradually.

GrannyHaggis Mon 27-May-13 18:30:13

That was a thought provoking questionnaire!

oldperson Sun 26-May-13 00:36:15

I have done it. I would want to know any pre-disposition to medical problems, curable or not. I am also interested in knowing whether mental health problems are in our genes as I have a daughter and grandson with such conditions.
I also like the idea of knowing what my ancestors were like and where they came from.

MaryXYX Fri 24-May-13 22:55:28

It's just a little too close to eugenics - in the sense of genetic testing of babies and offering abortions if they "might" have some condition like Autism. I am rather sensitive to that one as I have an Autistic Spectrum diagnosis.

mollie Fri 24-May-13 18:58:07

Completed. Interesting questions...

irishingrid Fri 24-May-13 15:42:58

Done. I would definitely want to know so that I could make the most of what I have and prepare myself and my family for whatever the future will bring.

Knowsley Fri 24-May-13 15:20:36

Done. I would hope that those who've signed up, should they be chosen, would listen to the professional analysis rather than trying to interpret any results themselves.

Deedaa Thu 23-May-13 21:20:18

Done.

NfkDumpling Thu 23-May-13 20:13:08

Done - fascinating subject.

NannaB Thu 23-May-13 13:24:05

Done.

Anne09 Thu 23-May-13 12:41:30

Done very interesting. smile

goldengirl Thu 23-May-13 10:57:47

done it. Long but interesting and thought provoking

Grandmanorm Thu 23-May-13 10:36:36

I found this very thought provoking and interesting.

chubbynanny Wed 22-May-13 14:31:54

I do believe genetic research is essential in assisting us to resolve so many of the health issues (physical and mental) that affect us. Interesting survey.

Granny23 Wed 22-May-13 11:52:04

I know this research is being undertaken for serious health related reasons but my own fascination is with the ancestry and connections side of genetics. It is great to have a scientific explanation as to why half of the folk in DH's family tree can wiggle their ears, whereas on my mother's side of the family (surname Whyte) almost everyone has early on-set snowy white hair. Trivial, I know, in the great scheme of things but I love the idea of us humans being one big inter-connected family.

inthefields Wed 22-May-13 10:43:27

Done.

I think perhaps my view differs from many here, in that I would want to know about any genetic issue as it could affect decisions such as whether to have children - or how I otherwise chose to live my life. That said, I am aware my view is coloured by personal experiences and may not be the norm.

janerowena Wed 22-May-13 10:11:39

I suspect most of us feel that way, gillybob.

moomin Wed 22-May-13 08:44:40

Also done

gillybob Wed 22-May-13 07:21:03

Just completed this survey. Very thought provoking. I think my general opinion was that I would not want to know about anything that I would be unable to prevent from happening in the future. Having this kind of knowledge and waiting for some dreadful disease to "show itself" could would ruin your life.

susieb755 Tue 21-May-13 22:08:45

My disability is genetic, so found this very interesting