Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Carpet Cleaners

(18 Posts)
Hildagard Mon 30-Nov-15 12:41:22

Morning I am thinking of buying a carpet cleaner, are they any good, tips on buying please.

Ginny42 Mon 30-Nov-15 18:42:15

I'm watching your post with interest as I'm very tempted to buy one too! If you have a large family or with pets/both to clean up after it would seem like a good idea to buy one.

I have cream carpets throughout but most of the time there is only me, so I'm thinking perhaps I should hire one.

vampirequeen Mon 30-Nov-15 22:23:12

We have a vax upright that we bought in a sale. It's brilliant. Our front door opens straight into the living room so all the dirt walks in. We can use the cleaner and have walk dry carpets straight away. It's so easy to use but it's heavy to carry around so take that into account if you struggle to lift things.

Hildagard Tue 01-Dec-15 12:21:26

Thanks for reply vampire queen which model do you have, there seems to be quote a few.

Hildagard Tue 01-Dec-15 12:21:55

Quite a few?

vampirequeen Tue 01-Dec-15 13:03:05

It's a Vax Rapide Ultimate.

Be careful when you look at cleaners. Some are just carpet refreshers when you read the small print not proper deep cleaners.

Hildagard Tue 01-Dec-15 13:04:32

Thanks v much x

5boysnan55555 Wed 02-Dec-15 00:29:22

I have vax carpet cleaner and do find it hard work and it's quite heavy. It's about 4years old now and I've only used it twice. Lent it out to family etc and I don't think they were too fussed about it either. I also have a vax tile and wooden floor cleaner and find that hard going. Think I need to get some muscle .

toto Wed 19-Jul-17 00:38:50

You have to do proper research to get the best carpet cleaner that fits for your needs. Indeed though some cleaners are advertised as cleaners, they are not really deep cleaners but freshners... you have to read the fine print or check detailed reviews from independent reviewers. This site has decent suggestions www.beststeammop.co.uk/best-carpet-cleaner-uk-reviews/vax-dual-v-carpet-cleaner-v-124a-upright-carpet-and-upholstery-washer-review/

jusnoneed Wed 19-Jul-17 11:43:54

I have a Vax canister carpet cleaner, the small orange one. I don't have any cupboard storage so have to have cylinder cleaners that don't take up too much room. It works well.

Really need to get it out... lol.

Franbern Wed 09-Aug-17 18:54:22

I have recently purchased a Vax carpet Dual Power cleaner. Have been considering purchasing such a cleaner for over a year so have done quite a lot of research. Picked this one as it is quite light weight. Also wanted one that had extension hose, etc for stairs.
Very easy to use, downstairs I have no carpet, just a rug in the living room. Cleaned that beautifully in no time.
Find it very easy to use. Perhaps not so good for someone with hard wear areas, children or pets. For me it is perfect. Cleaned the landing light cream carpet beautifully. Purchased it on line direct from Vax and they are offering very large discounts, so got this at an extremely good price.

mrsmopp Sun 29-Oct-17 03:00:41

Reviving this thread as I'm fed up with my current carpet cleaner. All it does is spray the shampoo on the carpet and hoover it up again, and the carpets don't look much different. I see this van dual power has brushes which my machine doesn't have. Maybe that would make all the difference, hopefully. I am having a think about giving my old machine to a charity shop and getting one that does the job properly. Hope it doesn't leave the carpets too wet?

moleswife Tue 14-Nov-17 16:36:05

I'm also thinking about buying one - my sister-in-law has suggested a Vax because she's been recommended by her daughter. One thing I do know is that getting the average carpet cleaners in does not give you a very good result - they are in and out within minutes leaving wet carpets throughout the house which I believe, erroneously perhaps, encourages moths!! So please let me know what you ultimately advise!

mrsmopp Tue 14-Nov-17 18:33:31

Well I need one that is powerful and effective without being too heavy. Our old one nearly pulled my arms out of the sockets.

Nandalot Tue 14-Nov-17 19:19:50

My vax is very good. I have an aged carpet in the living room and it brings it up a treat. I do it in the morning and it is walkable straight away and dry by the evening, It was also very useful last week when the decorator took off the radiator in the spare room and it leaked soaking half the carpet. I was able to use it to suck up the water and part dry it.

mrsmopp Tue 14-Nov-17 22:52:38

Which model do you have Nandalot as Vax make a few different ones don't they. Glad it does the job for you.
I am giving my Bex Bissell to a charity shop.

Nanabilly Wed 15-Nov-17 09:41:15

I get the professionals in . They do I think it is a 5 steps clean and they put dryers around the room for a while too . I have had very good results at What I consider a very good price.
I see so many adverts though for supposed cleaners being posted through the letterbox when in fact they don't have the professional equipment just something you can buy in argos. I learned from experience they are nowhere near as good as The proper equipment and carpets are left set and frame days to dry and then The house gets a stagnant stink
The proper equipment is too large to get in the front door it is left outside and pipes run through the door or window.

Stansgran Wed 15-Nov-17 11:07:22

I had the local company I've used before. He has two men with him and although it was all finished by 3pm the carpets were thoroughly dry by morning. It was a very cold day and I had had doors and windows open as I don't like the wet wool smell at all.