Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Dyson Animal vacuum cleaner

(9 Posts)
railman Mon 18-Apr-16 12:04:55

We bought one of these Dyson products a year or so back, and at first it seemed OK - good suction, etc., as the makers claim.

But, it now seems that the front cover over the roller, with its "self-adjusting head" just keeps detaching itself from the rest of the head, and its suction capability has reduced dramatically. It doesn't reach the edges of carpets either, and using the tools is a bit like a test from the old 'Krypton Factor'.

We do clean it and empty it regularly - but having forked out a vast sum for the machine, we are now disillusioned by these products - anyone else having similar issues with them?

Also, from my perspective, the parts seem very flimsy and insubstantial - maybe too easy to replace?

tanith Mon 18-Apr-16 13:30:22

I have a Dyson Animal but its probably 8yrs old it still works fine, no broken parts in fact after I've cleaned it it looks almost new. Maybe you got a 'duff' one? You could e-mail Dyson and ask if they have problems with your model..

sammyislost Mon 18-Apr-16 15:49:00

Is it not still under guarantee? Mine has a 5 year guarantee on it. Only claimed once so far - for a new hose!

Tizliz Mon 18-Apr-16 16:14:12

I have a new Dyson, not the same one, and I am very disappointed. Not the same standard they used to have and the design is terrible. You have to take it to pieces every month to clean the filters. I also must have too much dust and hair in my house as the tube can't suck it up fast enough and I have to clear it out manually every 2 weeks. They sent an engineer out and he said it was a shame my other one broke (DC04) as they were the best and the new ones are not as good.

mollie Mon 18-Apr-16 16:37:03

Bought ours last year and still very happy with it. No issues at all... Had one of the other Dysons for over 12 years without any problems and only stopped using it because it was too heavy...perhaps we've been lucky.

Kittye Mon 18-Apr-16 18:34:31

I had a Dyson animal a few years ago, the suction was so strong I felt exhausted using it. It was far too powerful for me. I must be a weakling smile I gave it to my son. I've had several of the "normal" Dysons and had no trouble with them.

cornergran Mon 18-Apr-16 22:15:15

Had ours for 5 years, still going strong.. Effective cleaner. Would agree, use the warranty.

Nanabelle Tue 19-Apr-16 00:26:13

I have the smallest upright Dyson, and had it serviced by Dyson a couple of years ago as it needed a new part which cost the same as a service (and the new part was then included!). It came back like new - with great suction and sparkling clean too.

railman Sat 23-Apr-16 17:25:41

Thanks for all your comments - appreciate the advice.

I have discovered that the lower part of the brush head was not properly connected in place - so removed, re-attached it and I am now advised it sucks as well as when we first bought the thing!

So - to quote "all's well that ends well" - (sorry about that it is 23rd April today!!!!)