Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Internet Security

(4 Posts)
Antjexix Tue 03-May-16 10:37:24

I need secueity for my laptop and was wondering which one to choose. I bought Norton and Mc Afee before but I know there is so much more on offer. What would other gransnetters advise please? smile

Antjexix Tue 03-May-16 10:42:22

I fear I have posted under the wrong subject again blush. I'm still quite new to this ,so I do apologise.

Knowsley Sun 31-Jul-16 19:59:28

I used to be in charge of computer classes for a large metropolitan area for Age UK, and currently volunteer as a computer mentor for a local charity.

I would not pay for Interet Security products, as the freeware (software you can download for free) versions are more than sufficient for home computing needs. For most computer users with a Windows Operating system, I would dowloadig freeware versions of the following:-

Avast antivirus (Best Free Antivrus in a recent Which? survey) - make sure you only have 1 antivirus program installed as 2 or more would drastically slow down your computer. So make sure any other versions are properly uninstalled.

I also use 2 free versions of antimalware programs, Malwarebytes ad Spybot 2. The free versions of these programs have to have the scan option manually requested. I usually run one on the 1st of each month and the other on the 15th of the month. Set an e-mail calendar reminder to remind yourself.

After upgrading the computers of many of my friends, family and class members computers to Windows 10 (there was a free upgrade offer which runs out shortly) I also downloaded another free version of 'Advanced SystemCare 9' which will ensure the user a faster, cleaner and more secure PC by optimizing and fixing all kinds of PC issues.
I always try to recommend solutions which are free to download ad use.

GandTea Sun 31-Jul-16 20:14:15

It is worth checking if you can get free security software from your bank or broadband supplier. Barclays give Kapersky free to it's online customers and BT include BTprotect (mcafee) with some of it's broadband offers.
I have used AVG free AV in the past and found it quite adequate.