Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Do you have a favourite grandchild? Take a survey on favouritism - £100 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(116 Posts)
JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Mar-17 11:25:29

We at GNHQ would like to find out a bit more about what GNers think about favouritism, and whether members have any favourites among their own grandchildren. Obviously this will be a sensitive issue for some - please rest assured that your answers will be anonymised and we won't trace individual answers back to individual GNers. All GNers who complete this survey will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 voucher from a store of their choice.

This survey is open to all UK GNers who are grandparents.

Click here to complete the survey.

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Livlee Wed 01-Nov-17 19:29:20

Completed the survey. Good luck everyone! smile

Carado Fri 27-Oct-17 12:43:52

Grandchildren are there to be cherished, not favoured. I love them all - and any more will be most welcome.

Saggi Wed 25-Oct-17 09:16:26

Favourite....of course I have favourites!! My 10 year old grandson is an avid reader ( like me).... hates football ( like me) .... loves me ( like me)..why wouldn’t he be my favourite grandson?!? My 5 year old granddaughter on the other hand is noisy( like me) .... smarter than her brother( like me)... energetic ( like me)...outdoorsy (like me) untidy (like me)...and has been known not to suffer fools gladly( like me).... and anyone who asks this ‘favouritusm’ question, if a grandparent is a fool!!

Vange Tue 24-Oct-17 06:50:58

Not easy for me - I have 4, but am only in touch with 3, as my son no longer speaks to me. I'd say I love my oldest grandson because he was the first; his sister because she was the first girl; then my son's first child before he split from his wife, because the baby was only a few months old then. Now he (my son) has a daughter, but as I say, I've never even seen a picture of her, because my son (I think) feels guilty, & is projecting that onto me because he knows I disapprove of what he did. SO - love them all - but one I have to send love to from a distance.

Riverwalk Tue 24-Oct-17 06:39:34

Yes, it's odd - been around for so long with a £100 prize and only 111 entrants. Even the professional compers have given up. grin

NfkDumpling Tue 24-Oct-17 06:01:03

grin

Marmight Tue 24-Oct-17 01:46:56

I've been wondering about this for some months Dumpling. I think GNHQ have forgotten about it. The voucher must have increased 50% by now grin

NfkDumpling Mon 23-Oct-17 07:05:06

This survey has been on since March, how long is it going on for. Is it for real?

fiorinda Sun 22-Oct-17 13:03:38

When my daughter was expecting her first child a work colleague said to me that getting your first grandchild was like falling in love, and that she didn't think you could ever love subsequent grandchildren in quite the same way as the first. And I believe she was right. I love both my grandsons with all my heart, but feel so much closer to the first one. He stayed with me from being 6 weeks old, and I got to spend 2.5 years worth of visits with just him. The 2 boys have very different personalities, and the older one is so laid back and easy going, and has always been so well-behaved and amenable. His little brother is a drama-llama and so moody. Funny as anything, cheeky and adorable, but not as easy to be with.

You can't help how you feel about your kids or grandchildren - the important thing is not to let them be aware of the differences. My ex-husband was my daughter's best pal (he's not her father) till our son was born, and both my kids grew up very aware of his favoritism. I'm confident that neither my grandsons nor their parents have any idea that the older is my favourite. Only my husband knows. And you now. grin

M0nica Tue 10-Oct-17 21:56:16

Absolutely, DGD is my favourite granddaughter and DGS is my favourite grandson. And that accounts for both of them. I only have two, one of each

NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Oct-17 18:11:27

I completed the survey... do we know anything about the results?

maclinks Thu 05-Oct-17 22:49:19

no, try and make sure I don't do that. Children can be very perceptive if you show favouritism

DoraMarr Sun 24-Sep-17 20:58:57

I do. My first granddaughter was a tiny baby who needed a lot of care. I first had her overnight to stay when she was a little less than six weeks old, to give her exhausted parents a break and the chance to have a good night's sleep. I have always felt very protective towards her, and, because she lives near, I have seen her two or three times every week, had her to stay overnight and looked after her during the day. She is now an extremely engaging and active ten-month old, still quite small for her age, but healthy and happy. My second grandchild is a beautiful little girl who is, at five months, forwarder her age. I don't feel she is as vulnerable as my first granddaughter and, because she lives in another city, I don't see her as often. I hope both sets of parents and both little girls never find out, but the heart knows what the heart knows.

Grandma2213 Sun 24-Sep-17 01:28:02

I have to be honest ... yes the youngest is my favourite though I would never let on. I think it is because despite her young years she has a great sense of humour that appeals to me. She can cheer me up on the darkest day! Of course she is pretty, clever and talented like all the others but she just has something more.

Nelliemaggs Sat 23-Sep-17 13:24:39

I have six and see 3 every few years, two of them every fortnight and 1 of them lives with me but I can honestly say I haven't a favourite. I can think of any one of them and I feel a tingle of love. They are all affectionate and I love them all too much to single one out.

Maisiesnan Fri 22-Sep-17 21:02:58

My mother had a favourite and we all knew it, it caused so many arguments with the children.I vowed I would never have a favourite grandchild and I now have 3 lovely granddaughters who I love to bits

Persistentdonor Fri 22-Sep-17 18:17:37

I suppose I can claim to have a favourite grandSON because the others are all beautiful grandaughters. But a favourite grandCHILD? No.

WaspiKate Fri 22-Sep-17 12:02:52

No favourites in this part of the family. I know how it feels to be the least favourite so wouldn't do that to anyone. Everyone is unique and love is endless.

dahlia08 Fri 15-Sep-17 12:04:22

I love them equally. The younger one will need me more and is closer. They are different when they get older. X

millymouge Fri 01-Sep-17 13:24:11

Yes I do have a favourite, and to be honest I am not sure why. However, which one it is out of the six fantastic grandchildren that I have is between me and my conscience. I would never let it show or make any difference to the way that I treat them, to me they are all absolutely wonderful.

jacqui67 Mon 21-Aug-17 16:51:08

Mt 3 G C all think that they are the favourite so I cant be doing to much wrong, I do find that they all have things which make me love them even more, but also that all have the odd trait which I dislike just like my own kids, after all no one is perfect.

kwal Mon 14-Aug-17 17:19:38

All 4 of my grandchildren are my favourites but all for different reasons, if that makes sense. They all have unique qualities and if I had to choose one - I couldn't.

glammanana Sat 12-Aug-17 17:47:48

How long is this post going on for it has been on the boards since March this year we don't usually have survey's for this length of time.

Coolgran65 Sat 12-Aug-17 13:40:48

I think that 'do you have a favourite' is a difficult question to answer. I love all of my DGC so much. But some of them I 'know' better than others and so have a more familiar relationship with them.

Some of them live so far away (facetime once a month, visit every couple of years)...... others are a few hundred miles away (visit 2 or 3 times yearly). Those DGC who are local are as familiar to me as the nose on my face.
It's hard not to feel a little more close to those with whom we are more familiar.

dessa Fri 11-Aug-17 13:33:21

I don't have favourite and I don't think is right to have one. The best is to love them same. The little one would feel soon or later who's favourite and this could cause conflicts amongst siblings. My motto is: Treat them the same and love them the same.