Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Can anyone recommend a good steam iron?

(17 Posts)
Scribbles Fri 25-Aug-17 21:45:52

...and with enough gold bars, I could pay someone else to do the ironing! Ho-hum. That was a nice dream.

Oriel Fri 25-Aug-17 14:28:22

Think how many irons you could buy with gold bars Scribbles!! grin

Scribbles Fri 25-Aug-17 14:18:36

I've owned several big name branded steam irons, some good and some useless. About a year ago, I bought the best steam iron I've ever owned. It's Sainsburys own label and cost about £12. Wouldn't swap it for gold bars!

JackyB Fri 25-Aug-17 11:29:43

I get through about one iron every two years. I have had Tefal recently but when the sole gets gunged up with stuff, you can't scrape it off or use anything aggressive like oven cleaner or it ruins the surface.

After about 10 years I have finally done all the ironing and am now trying to iron the same day as things are washed. This should ease up the strain put on the iron.

My biggest mistake was that when I bought the current iron (always have one with the separate steam tank) it only had a capacity of 3/4 litre - not enough to do a washing machine-load of ironing (say, half a dozen shirts or blouses). Make sure you get one that takes a full litre!

LadyGracie Fri 25-Aug-17 11:23:28

Irons don't like me, they leak, explode, or just refuse to work. The one I've got now is useless, that's why, I suppose, it's still working after approximately 6 months. It's an AEG.

Welshwife Fri 25-Aug-17 11:07:28

I'd vote for a generator too - I JD a Bosch years ago when they were first becoming popular but that had a pressurised valve which had to be undone to refill the water tank. To do it safely the iron needed to cool down. I then got a Philips which has a see through tank which can slide out to be refilled - no hissing steam valves to deal with. I think there was little to choose between them for ease of ironing etc. I think my Philips probably has a larger water tank. My current one is over ten years old.

Kittye Fri 25-Aug-17 09:30:50

Steam generator all the way, could never go back to ordinary iron. I swear it cuts ironing time in half !

shysal Fri 25-Aug-17 09:14:14

I love my Tefal steam generator, would never go back to an ordinary steam iron. I also love my extra wide ironing board which cuts down the time spent, which for me isn't much as I mainly only iron my starched bed linen.

suzied Fri 25-Aug-17 09:11:32

Bosch steam generator is the best.

Fishpieplease Fri 25-Aug-17 08:41:38

My steam generator iron is very good. You don't need to alter the temperature for different materials (no,I don't understand either) I've had it for a few years,which makes the initial expense more bearable. The only drawback is it's bit awkward to carry round,if you want to enjoy the pleasures of ironing(!) in another room.

pensionpat Fri 25-Aug-17 08:34:40

Steam generator every time.

kittylester Fri 25-Aug-17 08:34:17

actually

kittylester Fri 25-Aug-17 08:33:39

You can mention specifics as far as I'm aware.

I second the steam generator irons option. I _ actually_ enjoy ironing now!

altbridge99 Fri 25-Aug-17 08:30:18

I swear by the steam generator irons and have bought 2 Morphy Richards ones. They are great and make ironing much easier and quicker. They are also great for vertical steaming lighter garments while on their hangers.

Ilovecheese Thu 27-Jul-17 20:30:32

I don't think any of them last more than a few years. If you really like it I would buy another but just expect it not to last.

Oriel Thu 27-Jul-17 18:27:34

Sorry, didn't realise I couldn't ask for recommendations.

Oriel Thu 27-Jul-17 18:26:02

I have bought 2 Rowenta steam irons over the past few years and both have developed leaks with water pouring out near the electric cord. I like the amount of steam they generate and the pointy sole plates but feel a bit annoyed at the faults developing just after the guarantees time out. Maybe I've just been unlucky.

Can anyone recommend One? I like a long cord by the way - 2.5-3mt

Thanks