Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Read gransnetters’ feedback on OrCam assistive technology device for blindness or visual impairment

(2 Posts)
linallin Sat 16-Dec-17 08:17:30

My initial thoughts on hearing about the device were, 'great it will enable me to read books and newspapers again as physical pages,'
For me, the Orcam was useful for that. It is a great thing and I can see how useful it is if a person has no useful sight. However, I have RP with central vision.My hobby/passion is art and obviously the camera can't help with images. Ditto, playing the ukulele reading music. I used to like to read in bed and the camera needed more light than I had, so didn't really work in dim lighting.
I found the wiring a little annoying as it was often in the way of movement. I understand the reasons for wiring but wireless would be easier to wear.
This sounds quite negative and I don't mean it to be. The idea is wonderful and, I think further down the line of sight loss I would certainly consider an Orcam. It did help with reading newspaper print and I found it quite relaxing to be read to rather than having to struggle making out words with magnifiers. The control button was easy to use and well thought out.
All in all a great idea and in the future, with some modifications I would want one.

JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 14-Dec-17 18:04:31

This is the feedback thread for the gransnetters who have been testing an OrCam assistive technology device, designed to help with learning difficulties and visual impairment.

Here’s what Orcam has to say: “Approximately 2 million people in the UK live with sight loss, according to the Royal National Institute of Blind People. OrCam has introduced the world’s most advanced artificial vision innovation to the UK, which is enabling a growing number of people with vision or reading disabilities to regain their independence. OrCam discreetly communicates visual information by utilizing a small, intuitive smart camera mounted on the wearer’s eyeglass frame. The unobtrusive and lightweight device relays text and other visual information by audio, in real time, through a tiny speaker positioned toward the ear.

With OrCam, any printed text, from any surface – newspapers, books, computer and smartphone screens, restaurant menus, labels on supermarket products and street signs – becomes instantly accessible. Family members and friends are announced as they approach the OrCam wearer. Favourite supermarket items, credit cards and denominations of pound notes are seamlessly recognized.”

Testers, please answer the below questions, as well as giving any other feedback you might have:
1. What were your thoughts when you first heard about the OrCam device?
2. What was your reaction after you starting using the OrCam device?
3. What are some of the challenges that you face due to your vision loss, and how has the OrCam device provided assistance?
4. With what activities have you used the OrCam device in your daily life?
5. Can you use your OrCam for your hobbies?
6. What do you like most about the OrCam device?
7. If anything, what is the biggest thing that the OrCam device allows you to do that you couldn’t do before?
8. Has OrCam helped you become more independent?

All testers who give their feedback on the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher.

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply