Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

The best travel cots. And mattress,s

(11 Posts)
ThespiGran Fri 30-Dec-22 17:19:45

Hello
This is my first post on Gransnet. Im a proud nanna of a 24 day old little darling. Im wanting to buy a good travel cot for when my grandson stays at mine. Ive seen one and suddenly thought about safety. Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks in advance.

CanadianGran Fri 30-Dec-22 17:24:41

First of all, welcome and congratulations! How exciting to be a grandmother for the first time. I think any brand you buy will be up to date with all safety regulations, just don't buy second-hand.

I had a folding cot that was used quite a bit, even for nap times if mum and dad were visiting, that was used until the grandchildren were about age 2. I have since donated it since they are all past that age.

ThespiGran Fri 30-Dec-22 18:51:38

Thank you for the welcome. Little darling has put a smile on my face from the moment I wake up. Ive now joined a privileged group of people. ie grandparents. So happy.

Canadian gran, when you said dont buy second hand, a neughbour has one and its in very good condition. Its heavy though and black mesh. It doesn't have an attachment that allows me to change baby. The heaviness is good I suppose because its strong.
I think Im going to possibly hold out for the one with the changing attachment.

Grannynannywanny Fri 30-Dec-22 19:02:48

Congratulations on your new grandchild! The Lullaby Trust provides valuable information on travel cots. I’ll try to attach a link here. Don’t be tempted to try to make the travel cot softer by placing blankets or any padding under the baby. If you feel you must add a mattress it must be the specific mattress for that travel cot to ensure it’s a perfect fit and there are no gaps.

I didn’t add a mattress to mine and all 4 grandchildren slept as soundly as they did in their deluxe cots at home.

www.lullabytrust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/fact-sheet-mattresses-bedding-and-cots.pdf

Grannynannywanny Fri 30-Dec-22 19:13:42

I mean I didn’t add another mattress to mine in addition to the thin mattress supplied with it.

CanadianGran Fri 30-Dec-22 19:19:53

The reason I suggested not to buy used is sometimes they are older and the safety regulations have changed. If you can look up the brand and model and check for any hazards on-line, then by all means go ahead. I know when I donated my cot it was in excellent shape since it was not used often, even though I used it over the course of about 6 years with various grandchildren.

VioletSky Fri 30-Dec-22 19:21:10

Have you asked the parents? They may have a preference

ThespiGran Fri 30-Dec-22 23:21:14

Oh, thank you very much for the link. I will take a look. Tonight I actually bought one after a couple of hours of looking. If i have to return it I can within 14 days. I will tell the parents about the Lullaby trust aswell.

ThespiGran Fri 30-Dec-22 23:25:35

Hi again.
Ive just bought one. Bit will look up the brand etc. If I need to return it. I will be able to within 14 days. I did look for a couple of hours today. I possibly should have spent more time. I never thought Id be studying travel cots on a friday night. lol
But, honestly, my new grandson has given me a bit of a new lease of life.

CanadianGran Sat 31-Dec-22 20:32:55

I'm sure whatever you've chosen is fine. It is wonderful to have a new little one in the family, isn't it!

ThespiGran Sun 01-Jan-23 13:43:14

Happy New Year! And yes its fantastic have a little one in the family. First one for me in 34 years. Have a nice January 1st.