Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Must have ideas adjustable table

(20 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 30-Jan-24 16:10:46

Bought two tables for my grandchildren to use. They are advertised as being suitable to carry quite heavy weights! They are, in fact, flimsy and unstable and imo not fit for purpose and downright dangerous. On top of that their 100 day returns policy doesn’t include free returns so I have to arrange that myself! I should have read the reviews which are scathing but I’ve never had a problem with other things I’ve bought from them in the past.

NotSpaghetti Wed 31-Jan-24 00:14:29

If you bought online and have had then less than 14 days I think you can use the distance selling laws and then I think you may not have to pay return.

Do please check it out.

LadyGracie Wed 31-Jan-24 08:46:43

I bought 2 of these tables to use for our hobbies, painting, drawing and other craft projects.
They are flimsy, fall apart with the slightest movement, a total waste of money.
DH has made some adjustments and modified them so they are better suited to our needs but nowhere near perfect.

ginny Wed 31-Jan-24 08:55:28

Glad I saw this. I was considering buying one. Thanks.

MayBee70 Wed 31-Jan-24 09:00:37

After several emails and a bit of messaging they’ve reimbursed me. I’ve asked them to stop selling it because they’re usually such a reliable company. I doubt if they will, though. I can make it less flimsy by taping up some of it but even then it collapses on itself at the slightest touch.

Aldom Wed 31-Jan-24 09:04:26

Thank you for the warning. I've never used the company, but have seen their adverts and wondered what their products are like.

MayBee70 Wed 31-Jan-24 09:13:13

Their products are great. I’ve bought lots of stuff from them over the years which is why I didn’t check any reviews for the table. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy other things from them.

LadyGracie Wed 31-Jan-24 09:26:55

I agree most of their products are great,
The tables were my first disappointment.

NotSpaghetti Wed 31-Jan-24 09:31:29

So who are they, this company?

OldFrill Wed 31-Jan-24 09:48:20

Must Have Ideas - it's in the title

Chardy Wed 31-Jan-24 09:54:26

I bought one online which has has a top that doubles in size - HOOBRO on Amazon. It wasn't expensive and could support an elephant. I use it daily, it was a brilliant buy.

MayBee70 Wed 31-Jan-24 12:45:45

Thanks Chardy. I did see one on Amazon that is a sort of camping table that looks sturdy and it was only £12. I’ll check yours out. Much as I used to loathe Amazon I find myself using them a lot these days and they have a very good returns policy I believe.

NotSpaghetti Wed 31-Jan-24 12:52:57

OldFrill

Must Have Ideas - it's in the title

Ha ha! I thought the OP wanted ideas!

NotSpaghetti Wed 31-Jan-24 12:55:08

Chardy - re your Hoobro table, is it a breakfast-table size please? I've had a quick look on Amazon but they seem to be mostly console/side type tables

MayBee70 Mon 05-Feb-24 20:22:57

I just looked on their website and although they still have the table on it they say it is out of stock. Let's hope they have actually removed it realising that it isn't fit for purpose.

Doodledog Tue 06-Feb-24 00:14:03

I got one of the adjustable tables so that I could use it for Zoom during lockdown and adjust the angle and height of the laptop accordingly. They work well, but only if they are anchored firmly - eg with the legs under a sofa pointing towards the sitter or under a coffee table with the legs pointing away. They won’t work otherwise.

Maybe try doing that before sending them back?

MayBee70 Thu 07-Mar-24 12:00:30

To be fair they reimbursed me with the cost of the tables. But I’ve just seen another advert from them. I thought they’d stopped selling them! And still saying they’re strong enough to put a sewing machine on!

Doodledog Thu 07-Mar-24 12:06:22

They would be if they were firmly anchored.

They are quite hideous though grin. As something I used to bring out for Zoom calls mine was ok, but it wouldn't have been out of place in a care home with medicines on it. It's folded down and stashed behind a sofa these days, as I now have a study (ex boxroom) and I used that for Zooming.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Mar-24 13:42:52

I think the design is quite an old one that was quite sturdy but the ones sold now are Chinese copies.

Doodledog Thu 07-Mar-24 13:54:18

Someone said above that they are £12. I can't remember for sure what I paid for mine, but it was more than that - maybe £29.99. Maybe they are different models? I have a heavy coffee table that sits parallel to the sofa, and I used to point the legs away from me and push them under the table, so the tray filled the space between me (on the sofa) and the table - does that make sense? I would put several books under the laptop to get the height right, so it took a reasonable amount of weight. I never found it unstable, but it wouldn't have stood on its own with any weight on it at all. It worked better this way as I didn't want to be very close to the screen, but for close work you would set it up so the legs went under the sofa and the tray much closer.