Gransnet forums

Relationships

what's the worst personal comment you have received from a person ?

(139 Posts)
lynne Wed 21-Sep-11 14:41:54

I'm off my head during a panic attack

whywhywhy Thu 06-Feb-20 13:10:37

I HAD a friend who said that she had never seen me so fat! Hence we are no longer friends as she wasn't joking and even offered to buy me an exercise DVD. I was going through the change for goodness sake and my weight did rocket! I was depressed enough as nothing would fit and I thought I was going to burst. Thankfully I got it under control but her words hurt me so much.

vampirequeen Thu 06-Feb-20 02:51:53

A work colleague asked if I'd lost weight and preening at the unsort after compliment I answered that I wasn't sure. 'Oh,' she said, 'I thought you had because your bum seems to take up less of the corridor than before.'

Another colleague upon seeing a photo of my soon to be DH said with obvious shock, 'Ooooh he's gorgeous.' Then she paused, looked me up and down quizzically and continued, 'Haven't you done well for yourself.' As if I didn't deserve to be with someone so good looking.

kissngate Wed 05-Feb-20 22:55:33

When I was 45 I was in a queue at the Post office when a guy I knew who had retired from work asked me if I was collecting my pension as well.

Another time at work I changed office (not job) but got someone else's extension number. I must have sounded very similar to them as folk kept telling me their HR issues before I could stop them. Anyhow I was in the ladies toilet nearby when lady whose ext number it was came out of toilet at same time as someone who had spoken to me. She said you and ... sound just the same. She replied as long as you dont think we are same age. As I remained in cubicle she said I'm surprised she hasn't taken VR and claimed her pension. I was 52 at the time and discovered later she was 50. She never knew I'd heard her but it did hurt.

timetogo2016 Tue 04-Feb-20 08:31:47

You don`t look that old Grandma followed by hugs and kisses.
Dentist said your teeth are good for your age, Consultant said your bones are good f y a.
Hairdresser said you haven`t got many grey hairs have you especially f y a.
So I have now got to the point that before someone finishes a sentence I say don`t say for your age to which they laugh.

Hetty58 Mon 03-Feb-20 23:38:54

I've always been slim to medium build. Every time I saw my mother (as an adult) she'd always say 'Oh, you've put on weight, haven't you, what size are you now?' I'd reply '12, Mum, still a 12' and get 'No, you can't be!'

May7 Mon 03-Feb-20 22:11:05

When I was 10 years of age hot pants were all the rage. I was walking past my neighbours house and she said loudly"you really havent got the legs to wear those have you " I was 10 years of age and I felt miserable. I worried about my leg shape for years after and wore t shirts over my swimwear. Some women just cant help being mean can they. Couldn't care less now.When I got to my 20s I wore hot pants again yeah. Im in my 60s now and dont wear them but I would if I wanted to. You have to be so careful what you say to children it does so much damage to their self esteem

SalsaQueen Thu 09-Jan-20 18:15:53

My late MIL never liked me (the feeling was mutual but I was decent towards her), and used to criticise my hair, make-up, weight, ability as a Mum, etc., etc.

She once said I was "barrel-shaped", which was quite harsh. I told her she was ape-shaped........ (and she had very hairy legs so it was true) haha

BelindaB Thu 09-Jan-20 10:23:43

My mother also constantly put me down and yes, I have had life-long self confidence issues. I was absolutely determined that it wouldn't happen to my own daughter and told her every single day that she was beautiful and could do anything. If she could dream it, she could do it. It just took hard work. She has a lot of issues, but self confidence isn't one of them!

Silverlady79 Mon 30-Dec-19 11:00:58

My "new" MIL, (second marriage) aged 92, "so.... how DO you get out of the bath then?" I was tempted to tell her I got her precious son to wheel in a winch from the bedroom but desisted! I have at least lost three stone since then. No remarks from her about that..every barbed comment that comes my way from her makes my miss my mother so so much.

GagaJo Tue 24-Dec-19 09:47:29

Par for the course with my mother.

Alishka Mon 23-Dec-19 13:29:59

flowers @ GagaJo, that's horriblesad

GagaJo Mon 23-Dec-19 01:41:04

I feel for you Alishka. I have a similar story. I also had breast cancer. I decided I wanted a prophylactic double mastectomy and had immediate reconstruction. The first time my mum, my MOTHER, saw the scars, she said, 'It's like Frankenstein.'

She never did apologise. At the time, I said, 'Thanks!' and she tried to justify herself. What a cow.

Alishka Mon 23-Dec-19 01:24:44

Very worst ever was an overheard comment my d-in-law's father made about me.
Because of breast cancer back in 2000, when I knew that I was going to lose my left breast, I'd decided that what was best for me was to have a double mastectomy (or, as I said to my surgeon, I wanted a Union job=one out, all outgrin)
I'm slim, knew that I could dress well without falsies -so way to go!
So cut to my overheard comment - I was staying with him and his wife for a family funeral of theirs, walked into the kitchen to hear him say "looking at Alishka makes me sick to my stomach Any man would feel the same"
I tiptoed quietly out of the kitchen, no-one knew I'd heard him.
Bastard.

BradfordLass72 Sun 22-Dec-19 06:17:53

This is not a question you should ever ask a fat person because all of us are treated to frequesnt nasty comments and I'm no exception.

I had a thin and pretty sister so even as a child people were saying nasty things. ''Ey up, here comes the scrum half and the little fairy, bless her." (or Beauty and the Beast).
Or whistling the Baby Elephant Walk.
My Dad nicknamed me 'Tub'.

Perhaps the worst thing (in term sof how it affected me) was in a restaurant with my husband, celebrating his birthday, and a woman came up to our table, looked at my plate of Greek kebabs and said, 'It's fat people like you who cause thousands of deaths from famine in the Third World, you greedy pig." And poured salt all over my plate.

I have had people take things from my supermarket trolley saying, 'YOU don't need that, you're fat enough.' Even when I was shopping on behalf of someone else.

And how many dozens of times have I heard, 'No wonder you're so fat!' If I dare to eat a hot dog, packet of crisps,
and especially an ice cream in public.
That's ONE ice cream btw, just like everyone else, not a couple in each hand smile

Now, none of affects me.
I know my worth, I love my body and I simply pity people who think they have to be slimmer in order to be happy/successful/sexy etc., as I've proved otherwise.

Joan How come my mother lived with you all those years and I never noticed? grin

BBbevan Sat 21-Dec-19 17:57:51

"You have legs like a robin"
???
"Straight up and down with no noticeable knee"

M0nica Sat 21-Dec-19 17:27:18

My mother: 'You could be quite attractive if you tried.'

She was a lovely mother, just wasn't thinking when she said that.

Sparkling Sat 21-Dec-19 17:15:55

People who say such thoughtless and cruel things are really not worth worrying about, best avoided, the majority of people do not make unkind comments, we all have faults, how boring if we didnt..

KatieBell Sat 21-Dec-19 07:41:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

numberplease Fri 27-Jan-12 23:44:18

Greenmossgiel, good for you! That`s something I wish I was good at, witty repartee, but the witty replies always come to me several hours later, when it`s far too late!

greenmossgiel Thu 26-Jan-12 19:00:38

At a large family gathering, my late brother-in-law (who thought he was the bee's knees) criticised my lack of curviness around the bosom area, saying, "I thought women were supposed to have t.ts?" I retorted, "I thought men were supposed to have b.lls, but you're obviously the exception!" I was so proud of myself (as I was always very wary of him - but not after that!!) grin

Acheron Thu 26-Jan-12 18:33:52

When a very dear friend told me "you're not the friend I thought you were". That was devastating especially because I thought I had been a very good friend to him.

absentgrana Thu 26-Jan-12 15:13:19

Many years ago I had a boyfriend who told me that I walked like a well-bred cart horse – and he meant it as a compliment. confused

glassortwo Thu 26-Jan-12 14:53:47

carol that was very quick thinking good for her. grin

Carol Thu 26-Jan-12 09:44:12

Don't you wish you could have a ready put-down for moments like that tosh?

A group of female probation officers stood up in our staff room to go to another meeting room, and one of the male (and sexist) probation officers asked me 'what are you girlies talking about today, then?' Our new student quickly retorted ' we're discussing sexism amongst men who have become complacent about their abilities in the workplace!'

We all filed out and, when safely behind the meeting room door, burst into fits of giggles.

Tosh Thu 26-Jan-12 09:30:32

Gosh ..some Mother's comments are so very hurtful. Nothing I ever did was good enough for my mother and a lot of comments hurt but weren't as devastating as some above.sad

When I was teaching, Home Economics Teachers were obviously classed as 'second class citizens ' to some 'more academic' members of staff.
Our head of English used to buy a 'Scotsman' newspaper on his way to school (early), read it and put it on the Staffroom table.
One morning before 'the bell' I picked up his paper and started to read the front page.
In front of everyone he said ''O look at Mrs M pretending to be intelligent, reading the Scotsman !!''
I couldn't think of a reply at the time as I was so hurt and just wanted to cry....blush