Gransnet forums

Relationships

Does sexual fidelity matter?

(129 Posts)
absent Wed 03-Apr-13 18:30:26

It's never seemed particularly important to me. I was/am sexually faithful to my previous husband, my long-term partner and now my present husband – but only because that was what I chose to do not because I thought it mattered.

Harri1 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:34:36

Well I never wanted to die regretting what I hadn’t done... things happen in life... I’m not proud of some things that I did but don’t regret them either. Very lucky to be still married for 44 years and very happy.

JenniferEccles Mon 25-Nov-19 22:35:30

Has anyone noticed that this thread is over 6 years old?!

Hetty58 Sun 24-Nov-19 20:28:54

'The British Tribe Next Door' on channel 4 was interesting, in that there is no concept of fidelity in the Himba village, and no jealousy. Therefore, monogamy is a cultural tradition only, not a natural human state.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 24-Nov-19 18:01:13

Yes def

BradfordLass72 Tue 22-Oct-19 00:45:45

In westrn society, the majority of us are programmed by religions (even if we eschew religion) to believe sexual fidelity is important.
In many cultures, infidelity is irrelevant and rarely practised.

If there are children involved, if the other partner will be hurt, if there is any chance of a sexually transmitted disease, then certainly it is wise to be faithful and thoughtful.

But these are options and there are many situations where people can be unfaithful (and not just having their socks darned by another woman!) and it causes no harm at all.

So on principle my answer would be 'no' but in reality, in western society, you reap the whirlwind if you say 'yes'.

Granniesunite Mon 21-Oct-19 21:56:53

Love and trust. Not something to be undermined or thrown away. Once theyre gone you’re left with chaos. And if children are involved and affected ........that’s on the adults. It’s a comment occurrence today and the next generation will pay dearly for it.

BlueBelle Mon 21-Oct-19 06:31:21

Blimey you’re annoying CP
Reported

CathyaParker Mon 21-Oct-19 05:59:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kittylester Thu 16-May-13 10:59:24

petallus my post really was to point out that just because I believe in fidelity doesn't mean I'm boring. smile

Stansgran Thu 16-May-13 10:58:56

I can only imagine copulation or rumpy pumpy(or dumpy puppy) as the ipad prefers ) to be used as joke words in a married sexual relationship.good sex needs a brain as well as a body. I darned DH 's socks for years . But we were hard pressed for money. Now we are not and I chuck them out. But I understand about it being intimate. It reminds me of poorCatherine of Aragon making Henry 's shirts even though he wanted a divorce.

petallus Thu 16-May-13 07:42:39

Some people are monogamous by nature and some are not. Much easier for the former to be faithful.

kittylester Thu 16-May-13 07:11:15

I am happy, I am me, I am alive and I believe in fidelity.

youngpaul Thu 16-May-13 07:01:23

We are all well aware of the enforced man made concept of sexual fidelity which essentially perverts true fidelity (have a look at the boring scientific description). My experience and view is that the fundamental laws of nature can not be denied as all life forms are built to reproduce in order to survive.

Having had one too many devastating emotional traumas within loyal marriages I am now happily with a beautiful young woman and rejoice at the freedom we have agreed to.

Open but always agreed to first with each others consent (no secrets = no devastators) AND completely loyal to each other within our agreed terms of relationship. Allowing the natural real state of human sexual expression. Makes for a great love life and loving physical skills.

Boring Fidelity

In the fields of scientific modelling and simulation, fidelity refers to the degree to which a model or simulation reproduces the state and behaviour of a real world object, feature or condition. Fidelity is therefore a measure of the realism of a model or simulation.

Be Happy, Be alive , Be you :-)

peta Tue 16-Apr-13 17:08:06

Perhaps it is because grans who join Gransnet are more taken with family life than "errant" grans, or perhaps errant grans are too busy being errant.

jeanie99 Mon 15-Apr-13 21:45:41

What matters is what both partners want not what other people think.

Movedalot Fri 12-Apr-13 09:55:26

Tweedie that sounds really horrible! Perhaps the 'other woman' thought so too. Served him right that she dumped him.

Tweedle24 Thu 11-Apr-13 20:03:40

Petra has already commented in a simple vein.

When my husband (my ex soon after) confessed to an affair, i think I could have coped had he said it was purely sexual.(I would not have been happy, I hasten to add.) What really hurt was when he said that he and his lover had been discussing what would happen to our daughter when we separated (he thought they were going to go off together but she 'dumped' him less than a week later.)

Bringing her into decisions about our family life was totally unacceptable.

Annegranny2 Thu 11-Apr-13 15:33:51

I agree with so much that you have all said. If you want to have multiple partners then why not just be single? I also had women friends who thought nothing of being unfaithful. All the lying involved in having an affair, or many affairs, must ruin any relationship. I now know that my ex had a real problem with self esteem and therefore constantly looking for affection of a sexual nature. He eventually confessed that he had been unfaithful all our 12 year marraige and before. If I had known I wouldn't have put myself through all that heartache and children too! Much wisdom hopfully to pass on and now happily single. smile

Bags Mon 08-Apr-13 12:16:35

Certainly not! wink But they are wholey holey for all that.

messenger Mon 08-Apr-13 11:47:53

Morning Bags....are your holey socks blessed by the new Pope Francis before you use them?grin

Bags Mon 08-Apr-13 07:59:04

I have darned socks in the last few years, mainly because the ones I like best are 80% wool and 20% cotton. But now I'm making temari, I use holey wool socks as temari foundations.

Read a book by an Australian writer about a quilt someone made (it was the basis of the story), in which old socks, opened and flattened, were used as the quilt wadding. Wish I could remember what/who.

I agree, absent. Even I only darned my own socks wink

absent Mon 08-Apr-13 07:51:50

messenger Fewer people wear woollen socks these days so fewer socks, if any, are darned. In any case, we live in a much more throw-away society than when this bout of infidelity occurred in the mid-1960s. Somehow the picture of quiet and comfortable domesticity evoked by the sock darning seems more intimate and hurtful than any amount of passionate sex.

messenger Sun 07-Apr-13 23:05:41

Hi Absent...your reply..`darning his socks`I haven`t heard that expression since I was in the army...incidently absent that`s the last time I ACTUALLY did that. Does anyone still `darn` socks lol.grin

Mishap Sun 07-Apr-13 22:05:23

Trust is the important word here.

BlueSky Sun 07-Apr-13 19:35:25

And my ex too Greatnan! I left when my children were older and I could support myself with a job, and felt very proud of myself! grin