Gransnet forums

Relationships

A Very Sad Day.

(87 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 02-Sep-14 20:59:33

At 7am this morning my lovely mum finally left us. She clung on to life with every bit of her failing strength until even she realised it was time to let go. The last two weeks have been very hard but she is now at peace and I am grateful that her suffering is at an end.

God Bless, Mum xx

NanKate Thu 04-Sep-14 07:20:19

Love your story of your Mum 'haming it up' in Cornwall. She sounds quite a gal. smile

absent Thu 04-Sep-14 07:13:37

What an utterly fabulous memory of your Daphne du Maurier Mum enjoying her moment in the literal and metaphorical sunshine. Keep that lovely picture in your mind. Thinking of you with all the arrangements and admin concomitant with a family death - stay strong.

NfkDumpling Thu 04-Sep-14 07:04:23

I don't know how I didn't see your message.
So sorry Merlot.
Knowing the time was right for her to go doesn't make it any easier.
flowers and (((hugs)))

suzied Thu 04-Sep-14 06:34:31

Not sure where my message went. You will always have that mum shaped gap in your life, but hope the memories help fill it. Xxxx

suzied Thu 04-Sep-14 06:32:58

Sorry was trying to put the flowers picture����

rubylady Thu 04-Sep-14 00:48:38

really sorry, that should have read of your beloved mum. Sorry.

rubylady Thu 04-Sep-14 00:47:16

May you continue to remember the good times with your beloved mum. smile

merlotgran Wed 03-Sep-14 23:49:30

Thank you SO much everyone. I feel much better having read all your lovely posts which mean a lot.

tcherry, I'll try to cut it short but Mum looked a lot like the late Daphne du Maurier. We took her on holiday near Fowey about ten years ago. All the bookshops were plastered with books and posters showing D du M in a loose white jacket, grey slacks, dark sunglasses and leaning on a black walking stick. I noticed Mum (never one to miss a dramatic moment) was gradually getting into character helped by the fact she was wearing exactly the same clothes.

We stopped for lunch outside a pub in Charlestown. With ten minutes to go before opening time we wandered down to the quayside to look at the tall ship that was used for the Hornblower series. I noticed Mum wasn't with us and then I spotted her, sitting on a bench, leaning on her stick, gazing out to sea. A coachload of tourists clutching D du M books were walking past doing double takes, nudging eachother and pointing.

Did Mum realise she was causing them to scratch their heads and check out the date of D du M's death?

Of course she did!! grin

hummingbird Wed 03-Sep-14 21:47:51

Thinking of you, Merlot, flowers

tcherry Wed 03-Sep-14 21:04:36

merlotgran what was your happiest memory of Mum flowers

Penstemmon Wed 03-Sep-14 20:31:57

Condolences Merlot flowers A sad time for you and the family.

mrshat Wed 03-Sep-14 20:19:09

Condolences merlot - a sad time for you and your dear ones. She is now at peace flowers

Purpledaffodil Wed 03-Sep-14 19:38:13

Such a hard time you've all had Merlot. At least your lovely Mother is at peace now. flowers

ps Wed 03-Sep-14 19:24:50

merlotgran Sincere condolences to you and those closest to you. Your mum is now at peace. Remember the good times and the love you shared.
God bless.

Agus Wed 03-Sep-14 18:36:52

tiggy sorry to hear your sad news flowers

numberplease Wed 03-Sep-14 17:27:46

So sorry Merlot

Nelliemoser Wed 03-Sep-14 16:54:57

Merlot Sorry to hear this. Think about all the good times.

When my mum died I made sure the the address I wrote for the Minister to read, (I could not not have done it), I told all the good and funny things about my Mother and not the difficulties she had in her last few years.

It helped me and our family and her sisters to remember the good times again.
flowers

TriciaF Wed 03-Sep-14 16:49:52

Condolences from me too Merlot.
You and your Mum obviously had a lovely relationship, nothing can replace it. But hopefully you'll adjust.
This reminds me of the last years of my Mum's life, when luckily I was living nearby - we hadn't been very close before this, but got closer during those last years.

Nonnie Wed 03-Sep-14 16:36:01

So sad Merlot I have been off GN for the last couple of weeks as lots of people visited us so I have not followed your thread but I remember you said she had given up and was refusing food. She has got what she wanted and you must be happy that she is at rest. flowers

yogagran Wed 03-Sep-14 15:59:06

Condolences Merlot flowers

sparkygran Wed 03-Sep-14 15:11:21

Merlot am thinking of you flowers

Gagagran Wed 03-Sep-14 14:02:06

I have just caught up with the postings and am so sorry for your loss merlot. Even though you were prepared for it the finality is still a shock. Sending flowers for you and positive vibes to get through the next few difficult days.

tiggypiro Wed 03-Sep-14 13:50:44

I am so sorry merlot. I lost my mother in a similar way a few weeks ago but console myself with the thought that she was ready to go and it was what she wanted. You did everything you could when she was alive so just remember the good times now she is no longer with you. My very best wishes to you.

Pittcity Wed 03-Sep-14 13:22:52

Since you have so many flowers merlot we will raise a glass of wine in memory of your Mum and think of you.

nannyfran Wed 03-Sep-14 12:30:42

It sounds as if you had a warm, loving relationship relationship and will have many happy memories which should help. I hope you find comfort during this sad time.