Gransnet forums

Relationships

Non-romantic dating websites

(11 Posts)
Tabitha Mon 06-Oct-14 22:14:16

Hi all

When I was looking at this Relationships site a while ago, I thought I saw that some mature women (am 60 myself) had used some dating websites where you could put on your profile only and you didn't have to put in a photo of yourself. That's what I'm after - anyone know of such a site? Am not trying to hide anything, (I'm not married or anything) - just that, being my age, am quite old fashioned and would die of embarassment if anyone I knew happened to see my pic on a dating site!! Totally my problem I know. Also it's not even "romance"/a boyfriend that I'm after - more of a long term friend/companion who might fancy sharing a house in the future if we got on well enough.
Anyone had experience of looking for/finding? the sort of relationship I'm after? i.e. a non-physical one, but a long term companion/friend. Am looking for a steady type - have had enough male dramas and excitement in my life and am ready for a peaceful stage now!

Any ideas gratefully received ....

Starling Tue 07-Oct-14 19:03:38

If you google "friendship website" some come up. Does it have to be a man? There seem to be some for making new female friends.

Starling Tue 07-Oct-14 19:05:38

Also some have come up with the suggested search: "friendship sites for over 50's"

vampirequeen Wed 08-Oct-14 09:16:27

I was on dating websites and never put on my photo for the same reason. It never seemed to be a problem.

Tabitha Thu 09-Oct-14 15:51:03

That's interesting, I always thought that with sites like Match.com etc with photos it was compulsory to put a photo on or they wouldn't accept your profile. Obviously I was wrong! Thanks for letting me know.

Tegan Thu 09-Oct-14 15:55:51

I think you'd be better off joining local groups that do things that interest you; u3a or Ramblers etc. That way you broaden your social circle and are more likely to meet someone you get on with.

Tabitha Thu 09-Oct-14 16:02:18

Thank you Starling for having looked up some websites on my behalf.
I do have quite a few friends, both M and F (she says, defensively!) but my quest was to find a poss potential housemate. It's not the friendships I;m lacking but I don't like living on my own and want the security/companionship of a like-minded person to share the/a house on a long term basis. I have house-shared with various F's over the years and generally got on well and they are still friends, but on a more permanent basis thought a M would suit better. Can't quite explain why.
It's a difficult one. Not looking for a friend, not looking for a boyfriend, but a housemate. I know there are sites like Spareroom.com etc but they all seem a bit transient and non-permanent - maybe I will give them a go though & see what replies I get, if any. Sorry long reply!

Lona Thu 09-Oct-14 16:23:40

Tabitha I think you're either very brave or very optimistic. Good luck smile

Tegan Thu 09-Oct-14 17:25:58

I do know exactly what you mean, Tabitha; back in student dig sharing days I always found men easier to live with. But I think, at this stage in your life, you could be opening up all sorts of problems co habiting with a man.

Starling Mon 13-Oct-14 23:50:41

Tabitha I've just come across this article from 2010 - the comments if you scroll down are quite supportive too
www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthadvice/lesleygarnerlifeclass/7449908/I-am-60-and-want-to-find-a-companion-but-I-am-celibate.-Where-can-I-find-someone-else-like-me.html

Tabitha Mon 20-Oct-14 22:24:16

Hi Starling
Just logged back on after a week and found your message. Thanks very
much for sending this, very interesting - I shall think on it!