Gransnet forums

Relationships

Son in laws

(8 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 13-Mar-15 15:21:40

This may seem trivial but not to me.

I have two daughters , younger one in a second marriage . Her first husband first came to my home when he was seventeen, now in his forties. We have a very close bond , suppose he is the son I never had and I could not care more if he had been my son. What does one call a son in law who is no longer a son in law? I have kept to my son in law but recently this has caused confusion, I was arranging for a parcel to be collected and said to the woman - my son in law or his wife will collect it !

Have requested a move of house and was asked for name of family in the area - my son in law who isn't my son in law sounds most odd. He isn't a friend , much closer than a friend , he is part of my family.

loopylou Fri 13-Mar-15 15:37:33

'Unofficial son', former SIL, friend?
That's a hard one, isn't it?

soontobe Fri 13-Mar-15 15:45:07

ex son in law I suppose. That is ok for strangers.

I understand what you mean about the closeness. I know of someone in a similar position.

tanith Fri 13-Mar-15 15:55:08

Same position for me and I use ex son in law.. it seems to work ok..

Grannyknot Fri 13-Mar-15 17:39:08

Extra son grin

annsixty Fri 13-Mar-15 18:02:20

My ex DiL call each" the outlaw".

annsixty Fri 13-Mar-15 18:16:03

That should have been "and I"

Anniebach Sat 14-Mar-15 09:51:46

Thank you for replying, it's he who wants me to move to the part of town where he lives, he said - wish you would move to the bungalows close to our house, you are getting older and I would be happier if you lived close by.

I just cannot call him an ex , I know it's sentimental ,