Gransnet forums


D-I-Y Divorce

(14 Posts)
ShowerGel Sat 12-Dec-15 12:08:40

Anyone done this lately?

The solicitor I saw nearly two years ago quoted £10,000 for filing and sorting things out. At that point I was going for 'unreasonable behaviour' but instead former DH and I agreed to do the 2 years separation, which is looming.
The amount the solicitor would want is equivalent to a years' rental and then some, so I am wondering if D-I-Y would be the better option (former DH can't abide legal persons so it would make things better for him too).

Teetime Sat 12-Dec-15 12:25:47

DH did his 38 years ago - cost £10 but no property or disputes about children involved. No alimony or goods and chattels to share.

kittylester Sat 12-Dec-15 12:28:02

that might be the rub, though Teetime. It might be difficult to sort out property etc without legal advice.

ShowerGel Sat 12-Dec-15 12:50:18

I've already had the advice from the solicitor in January 2014 (and paid the subsequent bill).
So I know it is a 50/50 split; we don't have children between us (I have them from my first marriage).
Former DH has had the house valued, so he knows what he has to pay me. Pensions are more or less equitable.
It should be straight forward.

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Dec-15 12:52:38

There's an organisation called 'MacKenzie Friends' made up of fully qualified solicitors who've retired or have decided to 'go it alone'. They're fees are a fraction of the cost and can assist with everything, the only thing they can't do is speak for you in court before a judge. You can find them on line and so find one near to you.

I'd be wary of a DIY divorce, you could end up losing out in the long run.

Good luck.

annodomini Sat 12-Dec-15 13:24:58

You can get good advice from the CAB but if you can't get along to a Bureau, this factsheet gives useful advice.

ShowerGel Sat 12-Dec-15 14:00:00

Thanks for the information Smileless2012, I haven't heard of them and for that link annodomini, as they say in Yorkshire "I'll think on".

Pittcity Sat 12-Dec-15 14:20:59

You can do it through the County Court with a £410 up front fee. This is an option if proceedings are simple and uncontested. You also need to be good at form filling and keeping up with deadlines etc. Details on website.

louisamay Sat 12-Dec-15 20:02:35

Whatever you and your ex do, make sure you both agree on everything before you proceed with the formalities.
My sons divorce (which was uncontested) and subsequent financial settlement after an 18 month marriage cost him £12,000 and his wife £10,000 in legal fees! Ridiculous! On top of this son had to give her a lump sum!
If you can avoid solicitor's altogether, you would do well to do so.

Liz46 Sat 12-Dec-15 20:25:26

I did a diy divorce 23 years ago. The children were grown up and it was a 50/50 split. It is much better if you can agree how to split things with your ex and avoid the hassle and cost of solicitors.

Coolgran65 Sun 13-Dec-15 01:39:28

Just make sure you don't lose out on anything you might have been entitled to in the division of assets and that there aren't any assets that you're unaware of.

Purpledaffodil Sun 13-Dec-15 07:26:07

DD did her own 2 years ago. As Pittcity says, you need to fill in forms and keep up with deadlines. Hers involved no assets, but a small son. However her ex lives abroad and is totally feckless so no child support was ever going to materialise. And hasn't! It was straightforward and worth £400 and a couple of trips to the court to deliver and collect forms.

annsixty Sun 13-Dec-15 07:59:04

My DD is coming up to this stage in her failed marriage (of 23years) there are assets, children and pensions and I am struggling to get her to get her own solicitor. He has already seen one and she insists H will be fair, but there is another woman involved now and I don't know what her views, input and influence will be. I just know it is going to be costly in many ways.

ShowerGel Sun 13-Dec-15 11:17:12

I must admit the initial contact I had with a solicitor was worthwhile. It did clarify how items should be sorted.
The solicitor made sure my name was registered with the house, via the Land Registry, so that former DH could not just up and sell the house (not that he would have done that, as he is hermit crab in that house).
I think it cost me £800 for the solicitor's time.

The mortgage was/is in his name as I moved in with him; he never suggested that my name be added to it even though, at one stage, I was the one paying the mortgage.
I am sure we should be able to avoid using a solicitor now.
He has had the house valued in anticipation of the financial settlement and has made a will.