Gransnet forums

Relationships

Attraction.

(96 Posts)
Caretaker Mon 29-Aug-16 11:53:37

What attracted you to your partner.

hulahoop Mon 29-Aug-16 20:39:33

Went out with him because I had a free night then found him easy to talk to didn't like beard though he shaved it off and six weeks after we met we got engaged still love him he as supported me through bad times been together over 40yrs hope we have many more ??

Coolgran65 Mon 29-Aug-16 23:31:26

I noticed his fabulous big brown eyes.
We met at a house party and he left at midnight to take his two teen sons home but came back. Little did I know his siblings made sure the only empty seat was on the sofa beside me awaiting his return. We chatted and he asked me to dance, and chatted more.
When I was ringing my son to come collect me he said he'd give me a lift home, we yarned until 4am.
We went to the cinema 4 nights later, and there were electric sparks. There still are.

I learned later than when he came back to the party hoping to chat to me that he should have been home getting some sleep as he started work that morning at 6am. So he stayed up all night, dropped me home and went straight to work.

We are together 19 years and I still love him to bits.

ninathenana Tue 30-Aug-16 00:06:23

We met on holiday in Italy. He was with his cousin and I was with mates. He's good looking has a lovely smile and 43 yrs ago was a very fit rugby player wink wink

grannyactivist Tue 30-Aug-16 03:27:20

I met my husband at church and he became my best friend, then romance, very unexpectedly, blossomed between us. He was the kindest person I'd ever met. He was mature beyond his years and not only was he a good listener, but he had the ability to befriend people from all walks of life and make them feel they mattered. He hasn't changed and he will always be The Wonderful Man to me.

We got married thirty years ago today when he was a boy of 23 and I was ten years older and already had three daughters. He has been an unfailingly kind husband and a wonderful father to our children, who adore him. I love him deeply and have a huge amount of respect for him.

kittylester Tue 30-Aug-16 07:15:29

Happy anniversary, ga! why are you up so early? flowers

LullyDully Tue 30-Aug-16 08:10:51

I.just felt I had known him for.ever and come.home.( Plus the passion of course.)

grannyactivist Tue 30-Aug-16 08:49:34

Kitty - I just had a wakeful night; lots to think about at the moment.
Thanks for good wishes, we're feeling pretty pleased with ourselves today. smile

kittylester Tue 30-Aug-16 09:43:10

Hope you are ok, ga! flowers

Auntieflo Tue 30-Aug-16 09:52:43

Lots of lovely wavy chestnut hair. I met him at a dance hall, and he walked me home. One thing led to another, see photo. Also there is more , quite a bit more, of me now, and he has lots less hair.

Mildred Tue 30-Aug-16 10:48:05

Lovely picture auntieflo

goose1964 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:03:26

nothing but I knew I was going to marry him

Seasidenana Tue 30-Aug-16 11:05:52

Whatever it is was I wish I had ignored it and walked away. 30 years of my life wasted.

Gagagran Tue 30-Aug-16 11:08:21

His lovely thick, shiny dark hair and appealing brown eyes! He's still got those eyes but the hair has mainly departed.

We met at a colleague of mine's 21st birthday party and he bought me a gin and bitter lemon which impressed me as we were all usually pretty skint.

51 years on we have weathered quite a few stormy interludes but we have a strong relationship. He is my rock.

DotMH1901 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:09:02

I knew my husband from school but we didn't go out together until we met up again when I was 18. He had the most lovely blue eyes and was always laughing (in fact it was hard to get him to be serious about anything for more than a couple of minutes). He had a beard and mustache (always had a thing for bearded men smile ) and he was always willing to help out.

Mrsdof Tue 30-Aug-16 11:27:03

Met my DH at a friends house when we were 13. We argued about football and I knew from that moment I would do my utmost to marry him. He said he felt the same and we married 6 yrs later. I had his name written all over my pencil case at school, he was considered to be very good looking and he was mine! We have loved, laughed and supported Spurs through 47yrs of marriage. Here's to the next 47 grin

JackyB Tue 30-Aug-16 11:28:05

I didn't think it mattered in those days. Perhaps I thought boys you fancied were for the flighty and definitely not for me. I was glad someone was interested in me so I tagged along. Since he shaved off his beard, and then moustache, I have lost all interest. Still together after nearly 40 years though.

inishowen Tue 30-Aug-16 11:29:34

The fact that he was so outgoing. I'm shy and love to be with chatty people. We met in a pub and he came over with a book and asked if it was mine. He knew it wasn't, it was his way of starting a conversation. He had the nicest blue eyes. Our children have inherited those blue eyes, so I did them a favour marrying him!!

starlily106 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:42:31

I walked past him in the street, and I knew that I would marry him. Months later I saw him in a club, we looked at each other and that was it. We started to see each other, were so happy and then found out he had a brain tumour which was caused by lung cancer. He was given 3 months to live. We were married in the house, and he lived for 16 months, and died 1 year and 8 days after our marriage. He died in Oct. 1986, and I still love him as much as I did then. We made every day together count.

Humbertbear Tue 30-Aug-16 11:53:07

I was on a blind date with someone else but I fell for DH.

He was the cleverest person I ever met (still)
His voice
A shared love of Bach and the Beatles
We are both middle children!

We moved in together after 5 months and that was 49 years ago.

sillup Tue 30-Aug-16 11:57:36

I have no idea but, whatever it was, it's still there 47 years later despite all the ups and downs.

Neversaydie Tue 30-Aug-16 12:29:36

Met DH on the phone (through newspaper ad)He has a gorgeous dark brown voice .The reality was that in the flesh he was no oil painting though he's actually aged a lot better than many friends' husband's and still has a head of lovely(now silver )hair .His huge intelligence and interest in the world .And the fact that he adored me -he says from Day 1! It's hard not to fall for someone who makes you the centre of his world .We have been married 34years together for 36 Had some difficult times and our ups and downs but wouldn't swap him

Leah50 Tue 30-Aug-16 12:40:20

LUST, I was 16 & miserable at home with parents who hated each other. He was a gorgeous dark Maltese man I saw working shirtless at a job interview. We married a few weeks later & I found he'd lied about everything from his age to his work history. ( not speaking good English was a great excuse.) However, as we've been married nearly 50 years I'll probably keep him now.

Lilyflower Tue 30-Aug-16 12:52:32

My DH asked me for a dance when I was at my college disco. The other college men were neanderthals because the women (training teachers) outnumbered the men six to one and the chaps didn't need to try.I was quite impressed - though not by his looks or rather ridiculous clothes. I was even more impressed when he asked me out to lunch the next day and said yes.

We got on like a house on fire. We had both done history and English A levels and liked the same books and he was very enthusiastic and admiring. The more I knew him the more I realised he was funny and very clever even if he didn't look like the alpha male which was the approved boyfriend model at the time. In fact we were both a bit nerdy and old fashioned.

We met on the 27th January 1977 and are coming up for the fortieth anniversary of meeting next year and the thirtyseventh anniversary of marriage this October.

We are still having a blast and have two ridiculous, old fashioned, nerdy, clever, funny children.

gillyknits Tue 30-Aug-16 12:57:32

I met my husband at school. He arrived as a 'new boy' from another school when we were both thirteen. He wasn't in the same class as me so I watched from afar. He went out with a couple of other girls for three years and finally, when we were 17 and together in the sixth form, he asked me out.
We have been together ever since. Six years living at different parts of the country from each other and then married for 46 more years.
I don't know what attracted me to him. Looks I suppose, at first, and then personality. He makes me laugh nearly every day.

grannyactivist Tue 30-Aug-16 13:00:11

So many lovely stories here - and heartening to read how many relationships have stood the test of time. I read today that once couples have reached their silver wedding anniversary, their chances of divorce fall to less than 1% per year, so I think that having reached our Pearl Anniversary we'll probably make it after all! wink grin