Gransnet forums

Relationships

What age did you find love 2nd time around

(37 Posts)
Kacee Mon 05-Dec-16 12:57:07

After 40 years and age 62 I find myself single again, not by my choice.

Do I just accept that this is it now and learn to get on with it or do I maybe look forward to meeting someone else.

What age and where did you find love 2nd time around?

GrandmaMoira Mon 09-Jan-17 18:20:14

I divorced my first husband after 23 years and met my second within one year when I was 44. Though I hadn't wanted a man around, it worked out well with him. He died when I was 57 and had seven years on my own now. Ideally I'd like a male friend for outings, maybe holidays, but not to live together.

MissAdventure Sat 31-Dec-16 16:59:04

I feel the same as henetha
Met who I considered to be the love of my life in my late 40s, and again, its now over
I wont be in a rush to ever open myself up to that kind of hurt again.
Luckily I rather like being alone, so will be sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

EmilyHarburn Wed 07-Dec-16 16:52:04

Kacee do you have Skype or something similar. If you want more company , and you have gone to U3a, volunteered at the CAB, joined your retired union branch etc. you may like to check out with friends and family how many are on Skype and arrange that its OK to chat with them from time to time. the nice thing about Skype is that it is easy to have a group on at the same time. Max. 25. that is 24 on the screen. When a person speaks their picture flashes. Its good fun and I've enjoyed catching up with people that way.

Good luck.

Yorkshiregel Tue 06-Dec-16 14:55:32

I haven't any need for another man in my life. The one I got has lasted this long and I really don't think I would take to a replacement. Sure there have been ups and downs, but think of all those memories you would not be able to share with a new model. No, not for me. If it comes down to being on my own or looking elsewhere, I know I can cope on my own being the wife of a man who was often away abroad with the RAF while I stayed home with the children. if I want anything fixed I can always ask one of my three sons to help.

henetha Tue 06-Dec-16 11:34:15

I was 52 when I met the love of my life. It hit me like a bomb going of and changed my life completely. It's over now but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Life is so dull now by comparison...

Thingmajig Tue 06-Dec-16 10:50:54

I met DH (2nd edition) on the internet as we have a mutual penfriend who "introduced" us. I was 40 and had been a busy single parent for years. It was ideal timing really as DD was just about to set off for uni.

We met up (he is from Copenhagen) as friends and slowly developed our relationship. Took much longer to get to the marriage stage with all the travelling! grin

rubylady Tue 06-Dec-16 06:36:39

I'm single, not actively looking for anyone but I do think you have to be open to someone and not closed off if you would go into another relationship. I haven't wanted to for a while now, very happy on my own, too ill to be bothered, but at the same time I would like to have someone who cares, wouldn't we all? So, if someone I think is suitable comes along, then I will see how it goes.

I have had guys asking me out in the last couple of years but none suitable really. Maybe I'm fussier now I am older? Or just know my own mind more after the frogs I've kissed. smile

Lyndylou Mon 05-Dec-16 21:11:06

I was married 25 years then on my own for 5 years. I was quite happy living alone, it was my children who suggested I start dating again and my daughter wrote a profile for me for Match.com. I didn't even list the profile, I paid to join up then wrote an email to someone who seemed to share my interest and we have been together nearly 12 years now. I was 53 and he was 58. Best £30 I ever spent!!

I actually believe you have to spend sometime alone after a long relationship. A new relationship works better if you have had time to learn to be happy in your own skin.

vampirequeen Mon 05-Dec-16 20:28:16

I was 49 when I met my DH.

Anniebach Mon 05-Dec-16 17:54:12

Keep counting the positives Kacee

Christinefrance Mon 05-Dec-16 17:32:22

Met and married my second husband age 59. I had been alone for 10 years but was not unhappy with this. It's a comfort to know I can live quite happily either alone or with a partner.

My present husband ( to misquote Terry Wogan ) put an ad in the paper saying 1946 model looking for new partner, previous owner changed to wind instrument. I like a man with a sense of humour.

Kacee Mon 05-Dec-16 17:14:31

I must admit I do quite like the bed to myself. I like being able to watch what I want when I want. I like being able to have ready meals all week. I like only using the washing machine once a week.

I do miss the company.

Anniebach Mon 05-Dec-16 17:00:46

Didn't think of that Ana.

Don't want to share my bed - all night , no room, my dogs, iPad, books, writing pad, killer suduko and the Nintendo, takes up a lot of room

Ana Mon 05-Dec-16 16:34:07

Two tvs in different rooms? That's how my late DH and I avoided remote control arguments! wink

Anniebach Mon 05-Dec-16 16:28:33

I don't want to share the remote control

grannylyn65 Mon 05-Dec-16 16:25:26

???

Kacee Mon 05-Dec-16 16:21:03

Grannylyn65. If I find a toy boy I will send him on to you.........when I have finished with him xx

Lynnieg Mon 05-Dec-16 16:16:51

I was divorced after 23 years, got together with an old friend. That didn't work out either and I thought that was it really. I was 45.
Wasn't even looking and I met someone at work, we've been together 15 years and married for 12. I sometimes think I'd like to send a thank you card to the woman my first husband went off with because without her I wouldn't have met my Professor (for Little Women fans wink )
Oh and he's a toy boy too grannylyn

Don't go looking, love will come to you x

Grannyknot Mon 05-Dec-16 16:08:57

kacee one of my best friends has had the following:

Adored husband no 1 but he was an alcoholic and led her a merry dance. He died young.

She married again in her late 50s to a man who had lied to her about his age (he was a lot older than she thought, she found out on the day of the wedding). He turned out to be a depressive. He died when she was 63.

She said "Okay, that's it" smile

She therefore wasn't looking whwn she met a wonderful man when she was 67, they've been together for 6 years now and she is "happier than I've ever been". He loves her, spoils her, and they have a terrific life. x

Anniebach Mon 05-Dec-16 16:07:24

Kaycee, stop blaming yourself for another's actions . Hope you have support of family and, or, friends X

tanith Mon 05-Dec-16 16:03:44

grannylyn65 grin

grannylyn65 Mon 05-Dec-16 16:02:05

So,Christmas comes round once again
I think I’ll shoot myself
Another year love’s passed me by
And I’m still on the shelf
I’m looking for a partner
A handsome man will do
[Be better if he’s nice and fit
If it’s all the same to you]
I’ve sent a note to Santa
To beg him hear my plea
That if he finds a single bloke
To send him straight to me
I promised I’d look after him
He’ll be my pride and joy
But if he can’t get one my age
I’ll take a nice toy boy!!

grin

tanith Mon 05-Dec-16 15:59:29

I was only 39 when I met my second husband having been married already 20yrs. He was a friend of my best friend and her husband so we met via my friend. We've now been very happily married for nearly 20yrs.
So it will get better as the others have suggested join things you are interested in and accept invitations to go out with your friends.

f77ms Mon 05-Dec-16 15:51:10

Kacee things will get better , even though you cannot imagine it will just now . I LOVE being on my own but now have a `friend` I meet for coffee, lunch but have no desire to take things further . Join some clubs/ classes , do some voluntary work you will meet loads of lovely people . Don`t be in a hurry to find a man , if it is on the cards you will xx

Jayanna9040 Mon 05-Dec-16 15:43:31

Plenty of other smileys out there??? With a sense of humour like that you won't be single long?