Gransnet forums

Relationships

Too excited for new baby.....

(17 Posts)
icbn2802 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:37:14

I recently learnt that I'm to become a grandparent for the second time.
Was a total surprise & my initial reaction was to burst into tears, give my daughter a massive hug & then proudly display the scan photo she gave me onto the fridge.
I'm now beginning to wonder whether my reaction is a little OTT as no one else who knows the news has even mentioned it. I personally feel quite upset & put out by it. I feel it's the greatest news in the world & just don't understand why others reactions are so neutral. She's a lovely girl has a loving partner-I just don't get it?!

Luckygirl Wed 08-Mar-17 14:42:37

Just enjoy - on your own way.

tanith Wed 08-Mar-17 14:43:34

I don't think you are OTT at all its very exciting for you and your daughter. Not everyone will feel as you do as you've found out, I wouldn't let it upset you just enjoy the moment yourself and don't worry about anyone else's reaction.

Ilovecheese Wed 08-Mar-17 14:59:17

I suppose it depends who the people are who have not mentioned it, and what their own circumstances are. Like for instance, if someone is having problems conceiving themselves, they might find it difficult. I think your own reaction is not over the top at all, I have been as excited as you when each one of my grandchildren was on the way

vampirequeen Wed 08-Mar-17 15:48:59

I cried each time I was told I was having another grandchild but then I always cry when I'm really happy.

icbn2802 Wed 08-Mar-17 15:50:43

It's my mums reaction & two of my other daughters. No one in a situation to be upset really. I'm just so excited but I can't speak openly to anyone for some reason. Just feeling a bit deflated really. This is another beautiful baby coming into the world & I'm having to 'button it'

Ilovecheese Wed 08-Mar-17 15:59:29

When I was expecting my third child, no one was excited except me. (my mum was dead by then so I don't know what her reaction would have been) So I understand very well that feeling of being deflated that no one else seems to feel any joy about a new life. My husband at the time was o.k about it, but not excited like I was.

vampirequeen Wed 08-Mar-17 16:04:18

I'm onto grandchild number 5 and I still cried when I was told about her. I feel the same joy every time. Others think it's weird because I should be used to it by now. Each child is unique and a joy. How could you ever get used to that sort of news.

It is sad how some people just don't get that but it's just the way they are.

Cherrytree59 Wed 08-Mar-17 16:14:29

My DD had experienced a miscarriage first time round so I felt that I need to keep a lid on it.
I was ecstatic that I was going to become a GM but I didn't want to tempt fate. So quietly hugged myself at the thought of a GC.

Not sure how far gone your DD is but could it be that everybody just wants to make sure everything is going along nicely with your daughters pregnancy and will leave the jubilation for nearer the time or after the actual birth.

A big [hug] from me to you.
Wishing wonderful times with your future GC flowers

PRINTMISS Wed 08-Mar-17 16:28:22

That is great news icbn why shouldn't you cry, it's your daughter, your grandchild, be happy, have a good cry.

icbn2802 Wed 08-Mar-17 18:07:59

I have printmiss its all so exciting. OK I've done this before 5 times as a mum & now 2nd time round as a nana but one isn't more special than another. I only found out two days ago so is still big news & I just can't quite understand that nobody seems to be making any comments at all. I'll never forget the joy on my daughters face as she produced this little black & white piccie from her bag. How can I not feel so emotional, happy, over the moon for my daughter, partner & their little bundle?

callgirl1 Wed 08-Mar-17 18:20:41

Nothing wrong with your reaction icbn. When we told my grandma that I was expecting my second baby, her reaction was "Disgusting!" I dread to think of what she`d have said if she`d lived long enough to see that I had 5!

Niobe Wed 08-Mar-17 22:48:42

I burst into tears when my brother and his wife told me I was going to be an auntie because they had been trying for five years and were due to start IVF the following week.

Grannyknot Wed 08-Mar-17 23:08:38

icbn luckily you don't have to "button it" on here - your excitement is leaping off the page! smile. "Talk" to us on GN about it as much as you like - and congrats.

grannypiper Thu 09-Mar-17 07:37:23

ICBN Congratulations flowers

icbn2802 Thu 09-Mar-17 08:03:26

I know it's early days. Daughter's 15 weeks but everything does appear to be going well with no concerns.
My husband (not her real dad) is chuffed to bits & my two other daughters are at least happy & smiley at the prospect of being an auntie again - one even commenting that it'd be nice if she was expecting a little girl as 'it balances it out' with her already having a nephew, it's these little snippets just make me smile, as it's an acknowledgement of the happy news.
I'm only glad that my daughter isn't aware of the apparent 'little interest' I've encountered- it's disheartening enough for me, how on earth would she feel I wonder?

hulahoop Thu 09-Mar-17 08:41:34

I also cry when told about another grandchild but am a crier anyway I can fill up easy when happy and cry when seeing GC being excited eg unwrapping presents and doing shows at school my family always say mum will cry at this they don't mind I am what I am and they love me anyway.