Gransnet forums

Relationships

A difficult problem

(16 Posts)
Nannanoo Fri 17-Mar-17 21:23:43

Twelve years ago I started a relationship with a nice man who was recently divorced. I had been widowed for three years at the time. We moved in together and got on pretty well except that his ex-wife wouldn't leave us alone. She didn't want him, but she was darn sure no one else was going to have him. His two daughters also put a lot of pressure on him with constant requests for money, babysitting, decorating, repairs - anything that would prevent us from spending time together. He seemed unable to stand up to them, and to be honest I felt really neglected, so I moved back to my own flat.
Just over a year ago, we bumped into each other again, and have started to have the odd lunch date.
He is very kind to me, and and I enjoy his friendship and company, but he is putting a lot of pressure on me to return to having a physical relationship.
I find it very difficult to tell him that although I like spending time with him, I no longer find him attractive as I once did.
I suppose in truth, I also feel rather compromised. I always offer to pay my half if we eat out, which he absolutely refuses (he is very wealthy and I am not), but I hate to think that at our ages, lunch and interesting conversation should be a precursor to a quick fumble before he rushes back to his needy former wife and middle-aged children.
He has proposed marriage on many occasions recently, and I have refused just as frequently, but he seems undeterred in his attempts to 'get things going' He has even suggested that I ask the doctor to give me something - perhaps he thinks there is something very wrong with me if I don't leap on him with joy!
Maybe it really is impossible to have a platonic friendship with someone of the opposite sex!

Any advice on how to deal with this gentle, kind and charming, but frankly rather silly bloke? I don't really want to tell him to go forth and multiply, as I am genuinely fond of him, but it's difficult to enjoy our friendship when he seems to be hell bent on acting like a randy teenager!

norose4 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:45:37

Nannanoo, well he had his chance didn't he, it is a shame, but you have moved on a bit &therefore can't just slip back into the way things were between you.Men (usually the good ones )are indeed very silly at times, they just don't get it & are usually a step behind (as apposed to the users, who are generally players & a step ahead!) perhaps continue at your pace for awhile & see if things can be rekindled & if he doesn't show signs of being prepared to accept that then he will have to be a 'randy tenager elsewhere?Good luck

norose4 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:01:04

Ps, just re read your thread ,I missed the 'seeing the Dr bit! 'Arms length definitely !the cheeky monkey !

rosesarered Fri 17-Mar-17 22:05:12

You just have to tell him bluntly that there will be no more intimacy, and if he wants to stay friendly with the odd lunch date, then settle for that, but not if he talks about his family all the time.Tbh, it's probably time for you to move on and meet somebody new.Good luck.

jusnoneed Fri 17-Mar-17 22:16:17

Tell him you are only interested in a simple, no ties, platonic relationship. If he's not happy with that and cannot accept your friendship it's time to say farewell. Don't be pressured into something you don't want.

nina1959 Sat 18-Mar-17 07:47:14

It sounds as if he hadn't been emotionally ready to make a life with you before now, it takes men longer to adjust than women and this would have been hampered by his family putting him on a guilt trip for daring to have a life without them.
Now, time has moved on and he sounds like he is ready to make a life with you.

Time to be clear about what you want.

f77ms Sat 18-Mar-17 08:02:02

I had a similar experience quite recently . Lunch dates with a really kind, gentle chap who was recently widowed . The thought of a physical relationship quite honestly made me cringe so when it seemed to be going that way ( for him at least) I wrote him an email being very honest about the fact that it would never go any further than lunch dates so if he was not happy then we should call it a day ! I didn`t expect to hear from him again but actually he is happy to keep it on a platonic footing and we still meet up for lunch . I think you need to put your cards on the table and tell him how you feel , I would not be happy about him asking you to go to the DRs , cheeky devil ! but men can be very tactless sometimes . The X wife and demanding daughters may always be a problem unless he is firm with them and he may not be able to be - maybe time to move on if he is not flowers

Christinefrance Sat 18-Mar-17 08:13:16

I agree with f77ms, have a frank conversation with him saying exactly how you feel. If he does not want the same things then it's time to leave this relationship behind. It's sad when friendships end but better that than something one sided.
Good luck

thatbags Sat 18-Mar-17 08:26:42

What others have said. He seems very good at telling you what he wants. Time for you to tell him what you want, and what you don't want. Good luck.

BlueBelle Sat 18-Mar-17 08:37:06

It's very rare ( in my experience ) to have a platonic relationship with a man who yoh have previously been intimate with Men often have one way brains that don't see a difference between cosy intimate one to one meals and a trip to bed that's not meant to imply all men at all but if he was used to a relationship with you his brain will have gone straight back into that mode I personally don't think you can have cosy 'dates' with him and not expect him to see this as the beckon on back to where you were
Unfortunately you may have to put distance again if you are sure you don't want him as he will hang in there with hope while you are meeting up

In answer to your question NO a platonic relationship after an intimate relationship has finished, won't work one or other will always have the hope it will return to what it once was I m sure someone will come on and tell me it worked for them but in my experience it would be rare

Anya Sat 18-Mar-17 08:41:26

Can't be doing with 'silly' people of either sex.

In the words of my 5-year old GD (when her sister was dithering over how to kindly tell a boy in her class she didn't want to be his 'girlfriend') JUST TELL HIM

She'll go far that one grin

rosesarered Sat 18-Mar-17 08:48:24

Anya grin Yes, very direct eh?

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 18-Mar-17 08:51:38

Run for the hills, seriously, you deserve better.

Nannanoo Mon 20-Mar-17 13:23:17

Thank you fellow Gransnetters for your good advice. It's remarkable how some sensible words from others can straighten out the most complicated situations.
I feel much more able to state my case now, and will be frank about my feelings. I think I shall have a glass of wine to celebrate my new confidence, and I wish I could treat you all to one! smilewine

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 20-Mar-17 20:17:58

Good for you Nannanoo!

norose4 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:26:49

???