Gransnet forums

Relationships

Falling Down

(9 Posts)
blue60 Wed 28-Jun-17 14:03:45

Over the past year, I have tripped/twisted my ankle four times. Each time this has happend my DH has reacted with annoyance rather than concern or sympathy.

Instead of asking if I'm ok, I'm asked how it happened. If I knew that, I would avoid.

When I'm in pain from such an accident, no sympathy is shown and I just feel like a bit of a nuisance.

Charleygirl Wed 28-Jun-17 14:11:23

Like myself you obviously have a "weak" ankle. I strengthened mine by exercising it. Also I am extra careful how I walk because if I twist my ankle again, and it is the same ankle that is pinned and plated, I may break it again.
What a kind, caring man your DH is!

rosesarered Wed 28-Jun-17 14:12:09

Not a great reaction from your DH is it blue ? Sometimes men
have their Mr Fixit head on instead of realising all we need is sympathy!
If you are not tottering around on high heels then it's not your fault.
However, it could be worth a think: do you need supporting tights/socks etc for weak ankles/ are you seeing properly, had your glasses checked recently/ are you wearing varifocals? If not those things, has your balance got worse this last year?
A friend of mine has a similar problem and keeps falling, she says her balance has worsened.

merlotgran Wed 28-Jun-17 14:13:58

That's because if anything happens to US it affects THEM!!

Last year I tripped over a plant support in the garden. DH was nearby and saw it happen. When he hauled me to my feet he just said, 'I've told you not to garden in those floppy sandals.'

They're all heart, men. grin

merlotgran Wed 28-Jun-17 14:15:15

I agree about ankle supports. I find they help a great deal if I have to be on my feet for a long time.

rosesarered Wed 28-Jun-17 14:19:34

Yes Merlot we may embarrass the poor dears when we fall over! grin

callgirl1 Wed 28-Jun-17 17:55:27

My husband`s favourite response used to be "What did you do that for?" "Er, I just felt like a change?"

phoenix Wed 28-Jun-17 23:33:54

I have posted before about my staircase/cat vomit incident, and Mr P's reaction to my dangling naked from the banisters, they ask the most stupid questions at the most inappropriate moments.

TriciaF Thu 29-Jun-17 11:40:26

My husband is the same - when I dropped the van wheel, "why didn't you ask the garage woman to do it?"