Gransnet forums

Relationships

snoring!!

(17 Posts)
devongirl Mon 03-Jul-17 11:11:57

My OH used to be a non-snorer when we were together in the past, but now that we have recently got together again I find that he is snoring not only occasionally but most of the night! We have considered moving in together but - and - I do feel bad about this - I don't think I can stand this every night sad

Thoughts/experiences?

MawBroon Mon 03-Jul-17 11:12:54

Can you hear me from Devon? Not surprised, I even wake myself up ☹️☹️☹️

MissAdventure Mon 03-Jul-17 11:15:05

Maybe he has sleep apnoeia? Its where the back of the throat gets saggy as we age, and then vibrates on itself when we're relaxed.
You can buy snoring remedies, things to hold your nose open, etc, but I'm not sure how successful they are. Ear plugs for you, maybe?

kittylester Mon 03-Jul-17 11:15:42

My thought would be that it might be a good idea for him to be seen by a GP. There are somethings that can cause snoring, such as sleep apnoea (which ever way I spell that it looks wrong and my computer hasn't heard of it!) which can, and should, be resolved.

From the other point of view, if the snoring is putting you off then maybe you shouldn't be thinking about moving in together.

devongirl Mon 03-Jul-17 11:22:23

My thoughts too kitty - I hate the idea of having to wear ear plugs every night.. We haven't spent the night together very often this time around so it might just have been an unfortunate occasion but I'm reluctant to take that chane!

maw no, I can't hear you smilesmile

Luckygirl Mon 03-Jul-17 12:00:43

I snore loudly and I have taken to sleeping in the spare room as OH is not well and the last thing he needs is to be awake all night. We start the night together, but I creep out when he drops off - which he does quite quickly as he takes sleeping tablets. And then I arrive with breakfast in bed for us both in the morning. Works for us!

devongirl Mon 03-Jul-17 12:30:23

Sounds good!!

MissAdventure Mon 03-Jul-17 12:39:20

I went away with a work colleague once, and he was like a pneumatic drill with his snoring.
I'm a heavy sleeper, takes a lot to keep me awake, but oh boy his snoring did! It felt like he was sucking in everything in the room; curtains, furniture, and then blowing it out in a huge gust of snoring.

Luckygirl Mon 03-Jul-17 12:40:17

My OH says he is surprised my face in still in one piece in the morning!

MissAdventure Mon 03-Jul-17 13:03:03

My colleague had the audacity to tell me he had "hardly slept" most mornings too! Stony faced, I found myself saying "oh really?!"
I was really angry with him for not telling me before we went that he snored so loudly!

annodomini Mon 03-Jul-17 13:30:41

I share a room with my sister when we go off on a trip together. She wouldn't believe me that she snored until I recorded her on my phone! I use blue-tack as ear plugs - recommended by GP as it doesn't leave a waxy deposit. I've used the same method with snoring friends as well.

Smileless2012 Tue 04-Jul-17 16:37:25

Mr. S. snores so badly that most of the time we sleep in separate rooms and when we go away I have to take prescribed sleeping pills or I'd never be able to sleep.

What really makes meangryis when he chooses something on tv to watch, falls asleep and snores so loudly that I can't hear what's being said. To add insult to injury, when I give him a prod and say 'your snoring', he looks all hurt and innocent and says 'was I'hmm.

Luckygirlgrin.

eddiecat78 Wed 05-Jul-17 10:41:17

apparently I don`t snore - but I breathe annoyingly!

Armynanny Thu 06-Jul-17 10:22:08

My OH snores and it's been dreadful trying to sleep. I've recently found these ear plugs and swear by them. I hear him a little before I drop off to sleep and if I wake to go to the toilet but it's not as loud as without the plugs. I used to have to go and sleep in the spare bedroom but don't need to now. They are well worth the money- bought from Amazon.

KatyK Thu 06-Jul-17 10:37:00

My DH snores soloudly, it's unbelievable. People say it can be because they are overweight. He is very slim so this isn't the reason. Lile Smilesless can't stay in hotels as neither of us get any sleep - me because of the snoring and him because of me complaining about the snoring! He's seen a doctor about it and we've tried various remedies but nothfing works.

devongirl Thu 06-Jul-17 16:54:31

Somehow it seems really unfair that the person whose sleep is disturbed is the one who has to be made uncomfortable! Also I worry that with earplugs in, I won't hear the alarm go off..

Menopaws Thu 06-Jul-17 20:31:19

I do exactly the same luckygirl for same reasons, never thought I would but still start and end the night together and the bit in the middle is lovely in a big bed where I can hot flush away to my hearts content and play on iPad without disturbing him. Doors right next to each other so can still chat if nec