Gransnet forums

Relationships

Counselling advice

(4 Posts)
Elenkalubleton Wed 23-Aug-17 19:23:37

Hi everyone,has anyone used a counselling service, I posted last November about a dreadful row I had with my friends husband.He came to see me and put his hands around my neck.(No I didn't go to the police) he didn't harm me phisically and I didn't want to make it worse for my friend.
He is a controlling bully,and I told him.There is more,but suffice to say she has stuck with him,and made it clear that she wants nothing to do with me.I thought I was over it,but I saw them in town 2 weeks ago and have been a nervous wreck since.Palpitations knot in stomach,then Saturday just burst into tears and cried all day.Went to Doctor on Monday she gave me sleeping pills and anti depressants.I am coping, just,hate myself for feeling this way.I had a nervous breakdown when I was in my 30 s with first husband, and am terrified of it happening again,am due to see a counsellor in about a week,on a scale,it's sounds trivial compared to some people's problems. I've known this friend for 30 years.Would like to hear from anyone who's had counselling,and did it help.

Iam64 Wed 23-Aug-17 19:46:23

I've sent you a pm.

NanaSunshine01 Wed 30-Aug-17 21:04:10

Aww sorry to hear that. Counselling will definitely help you. I'm not surprised you're feeling as you are. You're experiencing grief and loss as well as it triggering some awful memories. Go and make an appointment with a counsellor as it can only help you.

cornergran Wed 30-Aug-17 21:43:16

Hang on in there. Being understandably upset does not mean you will have another crash. I'm not sure how you found your counsellor. Whether he/she has come via the GP or you have found them yourself. Either way counselling or perhaps CBT can help you manage anxiety and deal with the feelings that sound so very strong. Yes, I believe counselling can help. In the meantime try to re-contact any relaxation techniques you have used before, perhaps look up breathing techniques in the internet, try to go out for a walk every day somewhere quiet and remind yourself you are strong, you came out of a very down time before and that takes huge strength. Spend time with people you know love you and care about you. I hope you can get the support you deserve. Do let us know how things go. Wishing you well.