Gransnet forums

Relationships

Older Children and my partner

(8 Posts)
JantyK Wed 30-Aug-17 17:23:47

I feel like I'm stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea as my daughters have declared that they want me to leave my husband and think I am unhappy with him. He has, in the past, been wayward and went through something of a mid-life crisis where he had a number of short lived affairs and left me for a few months. It made him (and me) incredibly unhappy and so we decided to work things out, which have happened. But this was 7 years ago and although life isn't totally perfect it is certainly good enough to be more than acceptable and I would say that I am happy and my OH has done more than he needed to to make up for his errors, including looking after my children (both nearly 30) where he can with practical and physical support (helping to move them, welcoming them always to our house, all on top of everything they did when they were growing up including teaching them to drive, etc). Their father was incredibly lazy throughout all this time and also very selfish but of course he is the hero. They stated that I left him for much less than the OH has done (but they don't know the half of it as I have never told them). Now I feel sick as I really think we have got somewhere - a new home, new jobs and also plenty of good support to keep us going in the right direction. Their comments came because they thought the OH was flirting with a particularly predatory friend at a party (he probably was but I know what the woman is like and don't take it seriously at all). They completely lost their rag and caused a huge drama. They were going to continue in the morning and leave without saying anything until they realised I was very upset - not least because the OH said he would leave rather than see me have to choose between him and them, as he knows he 'doesn't deserve me'. This seems ridiculous after 7 years of putting things right and making sure he tries to make me happy, which has pretty much worked out. Everyone has now said they want to move on from the incident, but it has made me feel very down and I wonder if there is some advice out there to help?

Scribbles Wed 30-Aug-17 17:45:34

Tell your children, affectionately but very firmly, to butt out! Nobody knows what goes on in someone else's marriage, even our children and, unless you ask for their opinions, they have no business expressing them to you on this subject. No doubt they felt they had your best interests at heart but you should make it clear the topic is off limits, then give your OH a big hug and tell him he's not going anywhere.

Luckygirl Wed 30-Aug-17 17:48:11

Your DDs want you to leave your husband! It is absolutely 100% none of their business!

Riverwalk Wed 30-Aug-17 17:49:39

Paragraphs. smile

Norah Wed 30-Aug-17 17:59:39

Tell your DDs to worry after their own lives.

I assume drink was involved, people do flirt....

Ana Wed 30-Aug-17 18:00:45

I agree - it's none of your grown up children's business what goes on in your marriage.

JantyK Wed 30-Aug-17 18:29:13

Thanks peeps... I did tell them that and walked out of the situation when they were both having a go at me. They didn't seem to understand that I was fine with what was going on - just a bit of dancing and very public flirting (mainly from the woman, not my OH who I thought handled it all quite well). They had not only been drinking but spending most of the afternoon talking about how great their Dad is (because he likes to drip feed them with negative comments about me while bigging himself up).
I just wish they could see a bit more clearly. I'm very tempted to tell them that I left their Dad for far more than they think (e.g. finding out he was a transvestite six months after marriage, his relationship with a woman through my second pregnancy which involved him spending most of his spare time with her but because 'nothing happened' was apparently OK and then allowing me to work just 12 hours after I gave birth even though he was totally capable of doing the same work...)
But I don't want to come across as bitter or that I am trying to bring them down to win a point. Particularly as the oldest gets married next year.

Divawithattitude Wed 30-Aug-17 19:31:22

River walk, what on earth does your comment mean?

Can you not read unless there are paragraphs, is that the problem?

Sorry JantyK, but you need to tell your children to mind their own business.