Gransnet forums

Relationships

Paying out money

(7 Posts)
ooonana Thu 12-Oct-17 14:08:22

Seventeen years ago I was widowed, and palled up with a man also widowed whom I had know a long time. In our married lives we were tied by business so I guess in the early days of bereavement we leant on each other, as we knew each other.
As the years have gone by I have downsized and moved to within half a mile of him and we have enjoyed a close relationship to start with but now there are obvious differences in us appearing. He is mid seventies, I am late sixties and love travel, eating out etc. He is more a home bird, still in the family house, very full of golf and his own pastimes. He is constantly trying to tell me we are both oldies and should behave so. He gets down and is quite difficult sometimes.We have shared a lot of paying for outings, meals etc and he eats at my house in the evenings regularly and I pay for theatre tickets, days out etc.It seems because I don’t agree with a lot of what he says and will not conform to be a clone of his first wife he is now saying all the things we do we should split 50/50. In a way he is trying to say if you don’t agree with me and conform to him I have to pay half of everything we do. He seems to keep a mental tag of who’s spent what. In my mind it’s roundabouts and swings, in the past he has enjoyed lots of lovely times at the expense of me and my family. Am I wrong to feel hurt, I am obviously going to pay my way( we are both comfortably off) so my pride doesn’t get hurt but I do wonder what other people do in these relationships ? It’s very much a brother sister set up.

Bluegal Thu 12-Oct-17 14:24:08

To be blunt ooonana, I think the sensible ones, just end it!

Leaving the finances out of it, A relationship should be fun and exciting. It would seem yours is neither.

You have no obligation to stay in this relationship so why bother? You don't owe him anything either financially or morally. Accept you enjoyed each others companies when you needed it but now its time to move on.

I am sure you will feel a huge relief and be able to make plans that you want and not be tied to anybody else's plans or desires (or lack of them). T.B.H. he just sounds like a millstone around your neck. JMHO

paddyann Thu 12-Oct-17 14:46:32

dont let him make you old before your time,we have friends who seemed to decide they were old in their early fifties,anything new bought for their house was "for the last time" its very depressing I have no intention of giving in to old age at 64....so we just dont see as much of them as we did You must live your life as you want and if he's on a different page let him get on with it without you.

Christinefrance Thu 12-Oct-17 17:15:42

Yes there doesn't seem to be much fun for you in this relationship ooonana Think I would be letting things cool. Go ahead with all things you enjoy with other friends and meet new people. Life is to short to miss out on the fun.

Bambam Thu 12-Oct-17 18:10:35

Hello ooonana, You are a lot younger than your friend, he is happy as a homebird, his golf and his own pastimes.
You long to travel. So do it! Book with Solo to somewhere absolutely amazing and just Go and have an adventure.
I have a friend, widowed for a long time, who goes away with them a couple of times a year. The last time to China.
Shes made Solo Friends and there are four of them regularly meet up on trips now.
Live your life! If he's a true friend he will be pleased for you, if not at least you will know that he will only be friends with you, if you do as he says. If so drop him, plenty of fish in the sea.
Bon Voyage!!!

vampirequeen Thu 12-Oct-17 19:20:55

He's let himself grow old. Don't let him make you grow old.

M0nica Thu 12-Oct-17 21:42:38

What on earth has age got to do with behaviour? There is no such think as 'behaving like oldies'. That means anything from dressing in beige to dancing on a table waving your knickers in the air.

It sounds to me as if this gentleman is dragging you down. Gradually cool the relationship down. Find some activity that takes you out on days you would otherwise give him a meal. Perhaps the fact that he is wanting to make sure all bills are divided equally suggests that he too would like to cool the relationship.