Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband can’t cope with new dog

(7 Posts)
ruthiek Sun 05-Nov-17 19:51:01

Can't believe I am saying this , after 45 years of having dogs, a month or so ago we got a 4 year old rescue , DH who has been a rock during a really awful year for both us , was the instigator in getting the dog but is now finding it hard because the dog is not trained at all , so do I push him to keep the dog or look after dh who seems to struggling with everything ?

Bridgeit Tue 07-Nov-17 21:26:40

Could you perhaps take the dog to training classes? Not an easy choice to make, wishing you well & that you can come to a decision soon

merlotgran Tue 07-Nov-17 22:11:40

Two threads????

Bridgeit Tue 07-Nov-17 22:24:09

Ohh I see what you mean Merlotgran, I picked this one up on unanswered dated sun 5th Nov , how weird , it didn't click with me

merlotgran Tue 07-Nov-17 22:25:59

I didn't realise there were two either until I spotted this one.

Bridgeit Tue 07-Nov-17 22:31:00

Well spotted,how very odd, I think I'm getting to old for all this .lol

Bluegal Wed 08-Nov-17 17:17:16

RuthieK... What was the reason you got a dog? If your husband was all for it, could there be reasons he is against it now? I mean other things going on in your lives (as you mention its been a really hard year for you)

Most dogs, whether pups or rescue, need training. Not many dogs just fit right in. Also they will pick up if they are not liked/loved. A rescue dog has generally been through a lot, which is why they have been abandoned and probably need extra care (not always the case before others say how wonderful their rescue dogs are).

If your husband is negative towards the new dog, the dog will be negative towards him.

I kind of get the feeling your DH is struggling with other issues and a pet of any description is not the answer.