Gransnet forums

Relationships

Problems with children

(12 Posts)
glammygranny Tue 12-Dec-17 10:31:09

I have 2 children. Their father and I were married very young and it didn't work out and we divorced while still in our 20s. He's a very bitter man and swore he'd spend the rest of his life making me pay for leaving him and he has been true to his word.
I've always felt that the children do all they can to appease him for an easy life. This means that I get the scrapings of the barrel when it comes to quality time with them. My elder child lives overseas and comes home once or twice per year. She's always been a very moody controlling child (just like her father sad to say) I love her dearly nevertheless. She has 2 small children. My relationship with her was always very good up until she hit her early 20s. I took very ill and cancer was suspected. I didn't have the time or the energy to devote to her and she took it very personally. So much so she decided I could fly over to go to her wedding but not as mother of the bride! I wasn't invited to the meal so needed to amuse myself and come back to the evening do. I didn't go as I just didn't feel able to play games when I was so unwell. So long as I say nothing and keep the peace all is ok. She would contact me via messenger most days usually to talk about herself and rant about others. She was happy to accept gifts but rarely if ever sent me a card. She came up with lots of excuses as to why facetime with the children was not possible so I feel my grandchildren are strangers. If I want to go to see her I'm only allowed to spend a day with her and must pay for my own accommodation. This is of course very expensive so didn't happen too often. She came home recently (She always stays with her sister). All my suggestions of fun things to do were met with reasons as to why not. I politely told her I was very sad and hurt that I only seemed to get the few hours of the visit that no one else wants but that each visit her father gets to do fun things with the children. She exploded and told me I must be very unwell. I told her as a matter of fact I was and that I had been off work for 3 months. She never commented. Because I dared to question her I was not allowed to see the children and she said she'd see me in a coffee shop 5 mins walk from her sister. The meeting was understandably odd. She spent the whole time bitching about people in her work but never once asked how I was. Since she went back I've not heard anything. I've sent her a few messages but they have been ignored. It's very hard to apoligise when you don't know what you've done. My mother tried to intervene and was given short shrift also.
My husband ( I remarried 6 years ago) said I need to accept this is how she is and to concentrate on what I do have and realize that said daughter has always been a very selfish and self centered person. He is sadly right. My best friend often said that one day my daughter will have a rude awakening the way she treats people. She is however still my daughter. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I broker a peace deal?

Luckygirl Tue 12-Dec-17 10:55:09

TBH I do not think you can, from what you say. I am sorry that you are having to go through this.

All you can do is concentrate on the good things in your life, and develop new ones. You cannot change her from this distance. flowers

Smileless2012 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:21:51

Sadly glammy you cannot "broker a peace deal" with someone who doesn't want peace and from what you've posted it's not peace that your D wants.

I don't wish to upset or offend but from what you've posted what your D does want is to control, bully and humiliate you.

Perhaps she needs to be taught a lesson in life, that eventually, regardless of who you're abusing in this way and their relationship to you, there comes a point when enough is enough.

Not sending any more messages unless and until to hear from her may be the place to start.

Enjoy this time of the year with those that you love who love you in return and hope for better times in the New Yearflowers.

M0nica Tue 12-Dec-17 15:55:34

You say near the start of your post that your daughter is just like her father, who you describe as saying that he'd spend the rest of his life making me pay for leaving him.

That is exactly what your daughter is doing to you now. As soon as you (in her eyes) rejected her by taking attention away from her because you were ill she has controlled and manipulated you and, no doubt enjoys seeing you jerking at the end of a piece of string.

You must now act with the same resolve with your daughter as you did with your ex-husband. You have nothing to apologise for and nothing you do will appease her. Sadly I think you just have to swallow hard, enjoy what is good in your life, your husband and other daughter and put you relationship with your other daughter on hold. Send her Christmas and birthday cards with the briefest of greetings. Inform her of any major events in your life; moving house, being diagnosed with a significant illness etc etc. and then leave it to her.

If she makes unreasonable demands on you 'I can see you tomorrow morning somewhere 200 miles away', tell her quite simply that you cannot make a meeting at such a distance at such short notice. Suggest an alternative but do not plead or beg for contact leave it to her to realise that you will no longer dance to her tune. With luck her attitude will gradually change. If not you are spared behaving in a humiliating manner and feeding her desire to control you like a puppet to no avail.

Nonnie Tue 12-Dec-17 16:03:21

Sorry to read this. I think it may be something you have to accept and learn to live with. That sounds hard but I have recently been faced with accepting something won't every change and it is hard. I haven't yet succeeded but you may be made of stronger stuff.

rockgran Tue 12-Dec-17 16:38:55

I know I am lucky with my son but not all our adult children become people we would choose as friends. It is not unusual to love them but not really like them. Perhaps you should just accept the situation and pull back a bit.

Bridgeit Tue 12-Dec-17 17:00:24

Sadly To broker a peace deal both parties need to agree. I think your husband sounds like a lovely man & he is right in what he says. Beating you head against a brick wall is only hurting you.. a time will come when you daughter may need you or realise what she is missing, but it will never happen whilst you are jumping to her tune, so sorry if this sounds harsh but you deserve better. Also how will she ever know how much you may mean to her if she has never experienced life without your involvement,best wishes

Starlady Thu 14-Dec-17 14:39:37

"It's very hard to apoligise when you don't know what you've done. "

You haven't really "done" anything, imo. However, you do know where this started. It seems odd (older dear daughter) was deeply hurt when she lost attention from you during your illness. If she was used to getting a lot of attention from you (you didn't say), it may have been a more dramatic change than you realized. NOT blaming you - you were dealing with a terrible illness - just looking at how odd may have seen it. Imo, she should have been more caring and understanding, but some children have difficulty dealing with a parent's illness even when they (the children) are adults.

Maybe some of this is being fueled by your xh, but this really doesn't seem to be about him. His threat to "make your life miserable" was probably just empty talk. This isn't about that - it is about what has happened to your relationship with odd, due, I suppose, to misunderstandings.

If I were you, I would send her one more message. In it I would say something like this: "I realize I haven't always been there for you as much as possible due to my illness. I'm deeply sorry about that. I wish I had found a way to reach out to you more. You seem to brush off my current attempts, so maybe you're not ready. Please let me know when you are. I love you very much, always have, always will."

My thought is that you can apologize for what the illness caused, without taking any "blame" for something that, of course, is not your fault. (As you may realize, I purposely avoided using words like "but" or "however" in there because if she sees one of those she might immediately delete the email. ) I made no mention of seeing her or the kids - don't want her to think your message is just a way to get what you want.

If you try a message like this and she doesn't respond, then I would let it go and get on with the rest of your life as dh says. She may reach out to you in time. But meanwhile, you still have the rest of your lovely family to enjoy.

Starlady Thu 14-Dec-17 14:42:23

Also, for now, I would avoid thinking things like "she's just like her father." It doesn't help, imo, and will just fuel your anger and hurt. If you think, instead, about how she's hurting over what happened to your relationship, you'll be able to send a more heartfelt message. If she doesn't reply within a reasonable time, that's the time, imo, to start telling yourself, maybe she's just that way or maybe she needs more time to get over the past - either one.

Starlady Thu 14-Dec-17 15:33:15

Oh dear. I realize I didn't tell you how sorry I am that you have had to deal with this illness. I hope you're doing better now.

Also, I meant to say above that the kind of message I wrote acknowledges her pain (again without saying it was your fault). Maybe that's what she needs.

Please realize that odd may have experienced a sense of "loss" due to your illness, even though, thankfully, you're very much alive. It must have hurt terribly when she wouldn't let you present yourself at her wedding as "mother of the bride." But maybe she truly felt as if she had "no mother" at that time, sorry to say. A very dramatic way of saying it, imo, but maybe that's what was in her heart.

Whatever you decide to do moving forward, I wish you the best.

Luckylegs9 Tue 19-Dec-17 19:00:26

How very hurt you must have been at her wedding. I would write her a letter, acknowledging her pain and sorry for how site feels, that you love her and miss a relationship with her, whenever she is ready to meet up and talk with you, you would be pleased to, she is very important to you, that will never change. Then do what your husband suggests, concentrate on what you gave not what you sent. I spent many wanted years trying yo make things right and walking on egg shells. Then I said enough I can't take anymore and I stopped trying, I know beyond doubt I did the right thing. It takes two to make something work, you can't do it on your own and beating yourself up makes everyone around you unhappy to. Let it go.

Luckylegs9 Tue 19-Dec-17 19:01:23

Sorry, should read, concentrate on what you have , not what you can't have.