Gransnet forums

Relationships

DD and family moving 5hours away, could be worse!

(12 Posts)
Stormer Sat 11-Aug-18 16:31:06

Don't want to sound like a cry baby! but I'm afraid that's how I feel, so I apologise in advance. Firstly I come from a family of nomads, my own parents left Ireland and all their respective families when I was a year old, with two older brothers. That meant I never knew what it was like to have cousins and aunties and uncles around, my own dad had a sister and a brother, the sister moved to America and we didn't know much about her, never spoke or wrote my whole life. My mother was close to her family, there were seven of them the only living relative is her sister in Ireland, and I speak with auntie on the phone and keep in touch, though I've never had a chance to go to Belfast this past 16 years. So I also moved away from my parents when I was 45 and the children were 11 and 7. We ended up in Cornwall due to a project into renewable energy that he'd got involved with. I didn't really want to leave, but this was something he had to see through, so we upped and left. Six hours via car, so it's wasn't round the corner. I have to say it wasn't easy, there were a lot of family conflict on my husbands side, and I'm afraid I didn't deal with the upset well, and I'll live to regret that for as long as I live. The time spent here has been chaotic, due to husband's breakdown in our second year here. Things went from bad to worse, and to cut a long story short our children didn't have a great time here from the ages of 13 and 9. I tried to keep the family together and in the end, after 11 years calm was restored, but with a consequence of my husband's becoming brain damaged due to lack of oxygen. He still get's about, so don't be too alarmed, but at 59 he is very slow with co morbid difficulties. Five years ago, as we were seeing the light again our first grandchild was born, then three years our second. I always had to work full time, due to husband's illness at a place walking distance to our home, so I could do the caring also, We gave up the car, as I hated driving and he could drive no more, plus money in keeping it running was an issue. I often lent money or paid for stuff as my daughter and other half struggled, quite a sum over the years, plus there were always crisis to deal with in having to move for some daft decision or another. I felt strangely needed by all this chaos, does that make sense? Even though I was put upon. Now my daughter and family are moving 5 hours drive away, there are no swaps in the social housing sector nearer home, and trust me it's the truth. They wanted a garden and this house swap came up. I can understand totally why they want this house, they would not get a place here in Cornwall, unless it was another flat with loads of stairs in not so great areas. I'm really caving in here, like I don't know whether I'm coming or going, had chest infection after chest infection and husband still needs caring for, though to be fair he's really been a brick and done whatever he can to help. Two people close to me here died, and one very dear friend moved back to her hometown due to family commitment, and with my husband having suffered with what in effect is a stroke, and with him having been diagnosed as Bipolar before the brain damage, our lives weren't the best place to make friends and influence people, and I shut myself off apart from these few folk who I could let my family be who they were. My fault always worried what others think!!! With my daughter going there is an added annoyance. I had some money that my daughter had in an account for me, four thousand, she was to pay it back and had had a windfall of £11,000 herself due to a relatives legacy. She spent my money, and the £11,000 and didn't tell me that my savings had been spent in effect twice, once before they got the inheritance and then again as they spent this new money. I'm so upset that they have done this, so not only are they moving but our relationship is not what it was. We always had a laugh, she was always a challenge, but I've always loved her, still do. She'd be forever messaging me with her annoyances in life. I have forgiven them on one hand, but her other half is leaving a well paid job here to go onto agency books, no doubt that he will work hard, he always has. So you see I'm sad that they are moving, especially not to see the boys, the live 40 miles away at the moment, but we could go on the train for a day visit once a month or every three weeks. They had stopped coming as often to see us, which was understandable working six days a week with two small boys is so very difficult. So I never got upset so long as we could go up on the train. I know I have to let go, but I'm so hurt It's making me ill. We do have a son, who still lives at home, he and his girlfriend just can't get a home together either, he's now 23, but it's not right that they should be here with us, they need their own place. If I won the lottery I'd buy them homes, even my daughter, she has hurt me in the past, little things though, that I've let go, she is a force to be reckoned with. There, I've vented, and I'm sorry if I'm sitting on a pity pot, but that's how I feel at the moment. Our home is very big, big gardens, and it takes a lot of upkeep, but I have found that painting outside and gardening whilst school is out and I'm not at work, has been very helpful. (I'm a school cleaner for three hours during the day, I get my small NHS pension, we don't have a lot coming in, but we own the house, I'm in two minds to sell up, but our Son's job and GF are here. I do have a good neighbour next door, but all their family are in the area, so I don't encroach. All there is here is my husband son and his girlfriend, so I'm also feeling lonely to top it off. God I sound so pathetic. Any way, I'll sign off, just my thoughts, sometimes it helps to write it down. I can't go over it, under it, or round it, I just have to get through it. If there are grammar and spelling mistakes, I typed it without thinking.

crazyH Sat 11-Aug-18 17:06:32

Hi Stormer...Feel free to pop in here and unburden. I do that all the time.
You are having a "down" time right now. I think your daughter leaving has brought this on.....as you say, it could be worse. Its only 5 hours. We left our homeland to come here in 1973.....leaving my mum behind. How her heart must have broken, because she was so attached to my kids (toddlers at that time ).
Sorry about your husband's illness.
You are having a rough time. When I got divorced, I was given the large family home as part of the settlement. I sold it and moved to a small, manageable. I too don't have much coming in, a small state pension and a small alimony. But I have the money from my big house and feel a bit secure. I gave the children a fair amount from the proceeds of the whole house, but the rest I intend to keep for myself.
There are some fantastic people on this forum, who will give you some comfort and advice.
I hope you feel a bit more upbeat. This awful weather doesn't help, does it?
All the best flowers

Eilyann70 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:09:58

Stormer so sorry .flowers

rubytut Sat 11-Aug-18 17:11:12

You do not sound pathetic , I expect you feel better having written everything down.
There are times when we concentrate on the negatives in our lives past and present. It may be difficult at the moment but if you want to lift your mood write this again but from a positive angle.

ContraryMary88 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:49:32

My daughter often says to me “ I don’t need advice, because I know what I have to do, I just want you to listen to me” so I do and I just have.
Hope you feel a little better having written it all down and vented.

Auntieflo Sat 11-Aug-18 18:07:20

Stormer, you are having, and have had a bad time, but like you I sometimes just write things as they flow into my brain. It does help to get it out and also there are many here who will may be able to offer practicable help, if not a solution.
Thank you for being able to share with us, and we will listen.

Greengal Sun 12-Aug-18 00:16:57

Stormer, you have had a lot of drama in your life, and I know that hasn't been easy for you, your DH or your kids. I'm so very sorry for the bad times and DH's health issues. Sending hugs!

I don't blame you for being upset that DD and family are moving five hours away. I know you feel like you're losing your relationship with them and that must hurt a lot. I'm sure, however, that you'll find ways to keep in touch. Today's technology offers so much. And though you won't be able to visit as often or as easily, I'm sure you and they will work something out once they get settled. Glad you came here to vent and hope you keep reaching out to us!

Stormer Sun 12-Aug-18 21:38:35

wink lol.

Stormer Sun 12-Aug-18 21:44:28

Sorry people, I lost my message and posted the above, should have been at the end of message. Just to say thank you for listening, and I know I have to sort myself out, only I can do that. Onward and upward and remembering to look at the change in a positive light. I'm trying .

Greengal Wed 15-Aug-18 08:59:02

Hugs!

Jane43 Thu 16-Aug-18 12:29:14

Stormer you are clearly a person who has a great sense of duty and you have spent so much time and effort doing the right thing for everybody in your life but perhaps left little time for yourself. Perhaps your daughter’s move away will give you a little more time to spend on your own needs. Obviously you will miss your grandchildren but you will be able to speak to them regularly, write letters to them and hopefully have the occasional visit. More distance between you may make your daughter realise how much you have done for her and her family. From experience there’s no point fretting about the money not being repaid. You have to let it go and let it serve as a warning about you giving financial help in the future.

I think you should consider downsizing so that you can ease the burden of looking after your house and DH a little. Perhaps you could even give up work. This may sound harsh but there is no reason why your 23 year old son and his girlfriend can’t make their own living arrangements. I understand you want to help them but perhaps it is time they stood on their own two feet. If you don’t want to do this then perhaps your son and his girlfriend could lend a hand with all the jobs you have taken on in your house and garden.

I hope things improve for you really soon.

Newatthis Thu 23-Aug-18 14:21:19

Would it be possible to sell up and perhaps move between you daughter and son thereby being 2-3 hours journey for both. My daughter lives in San Francisco and has our first grand child and my other daughter lives in London and we live in the North West so very difficult (and expensive) to try to balance visits to both of them around work etc. but manage. You will too when the time comes. Hope all works out.