Gransnet forums

Relationships

Struggling-need advice

(14 Posts)
Jesswest Tue 16-Oct-18 09:37:51

I’ll start off by saying my in-laws are great people who are kind, interesting and who love our children (and us) very much. We have two kids (daughter is 2 and son is 3 months). They live two hours away and my family lives 7 hours away.

Here’s where things get tough. My husband works all the time in athletics at a University where there is sporting events often Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sometimes it’s less days, sometimes more. Since our children have been born, they decided they want to come every weekend in the fall (and stay with us) and most of the weekends throughout the year except for summer. Since this change, it’s put a major strain on my relationship with them and it’s the only thing my husband and I fight about. They come even when my husband is gone for away games so I don’t get any breaks.

Are they helpful with watching my older child, yes. They are always respectful, etc BUT just having people in our house every weekend has been giving me anxiety. Making sure the house is clean, having enough food in the house, picking up after them and not being able to live my own life on every weekend is stressful. I love my in-laws but now every thing they do is starting to grate on my nerves. My parents live far away so they don’t get to come very often or when my friends come to visit doesnt stop them from coming. They still come and my family/friends stay in the other room. This irritates me the most. I don’t get to see my people that often and then they have to share their visits with my in laws.

My husband doesn’t mind that much because he works so much that he’s spends a couple of hours total a weekend with them.

How do I navigate this situation? I have become resentful mostly towards my mother in law because she doesn’t recognize how stressful being a new mom can be PLUS having people in the house all the time can be. I’m not ever going to tell family they can’t see their grandchildren BUT you would think they would naturally know this is overstaying their welcome.

agnurse Tue 16-Oct-18 09:51:48

Frankly every weekend is WAY too much. I'd suggest cutting back on the visits or telling them they need to stay in a hotel.

You're not obligated to host them.

One weekend a month should be plenty. I don't even see my parents that often and they have a great relationship with DSD.

Buffybee Tue 16-Oct-18 09:57:21

Hi Jesswest! Before I comment, can you tell me why they insist on staying every weekend but not in the Summer months.

FlexibleFriend Tue 16-Oct-18 10:10:10

Whatever the reason for their visits they are way too frequent. I'd also suggest they cut back on their visits to once a month but even that sounds too much for an entire weekend. I'd have to tell them they are interfering with your social life as you're unable to see anyone else because they are always there. You shouldn't have to share your time with your friends with the in laws as well. I'd find it suffocating tbh. You're going to have to tell them straight they are visiting too often and life is becoming stressful because of it. Hard to imagine why they can't see this for themselves tbh.

Chewbacca Tue 16-Oct-18 10:16:00

I knew it! Wish I'd placed a bet now! wink

Lynne59 Tue 16-Oct-18 10:16:01

Firstly, does your husband need to work all weekend? It seems wrong that he's away and only sees his own parents for a couple of hours, yet you are left with them for the whole time.

If it were me, I'd be telling my husband he should spend more time at home with his children, and his mum and dad needn't stay then.

Your inlaws sound as though they are trying to help you by being there, at hand to help you with your children - but that's your husband's duty.

I agree that every weekend is far too often, but perhaps one weekend a month might be better?

Incidentally, my own inlaws didn't care a toss about my children as they were always too busy with their daughter and he mob.

mcem Tue 16-Oct-18 10:26:32

Very cryptic Chewbacca !!!

Nonnie Tue 16-Oct-18 10:52:40

Lynne her husband works with sport so won't have a choice about weekends.

Jess I assume you are in the USA so think it is hard to offer advice from the UK where we may do things differently. I agree it is too much but the only advice I can give is that you suggest you go and stay with them every other weekend and see how that goes down. In one way it would be more upheaval for you but then your MiL might see things differently after a few weeks and realise it if hard work. You could look after your baby and leave her to do all the work!

Elizabeth1 Tue 16-Oct-18 11:29:44

What a good idea Nonnie I would suggest a change of venue Jesswest why don’t you visit your in-laws for a change make this a suggestion and see how it goes down. I know it’ll be a bit of a disruption getting things prepared for a journey with 2 little ones but make it an adventure for you and your family. Give the in-laws a little taste of what it’s like to have weekend visitors and I’m sure they’ll recognise how busy things are likely to be.

Jesswest Tue 16-Oct-18 11:46:03

That’s a good idea. We haven’t visited their house in quite some time so maybe this is a good way to mix things up!

PamelaJ1 Tue 16-Oct-18 13:10:49

Or you could go and stay with a friend or your parents.
Leave them in the house on their ow?

Jobey68 Wed 17-Oct-18 06:29:44

This is way too much for you and I'm amazed they cant see this, of course they want to spend time with their grandchildren I completely understand that and bless you for accommodating them so frequently but you can't go on like this!

I don't think they sound like they will take gentle hints so you may have to just bite the bullet and say that you are not going to be available every weekend from now on and to mix it up a bit you will alternate with them every month,

My granddaughter lives 20 minutes away and I see her every week but we don't intrude on their family time and wouldn't dream of popping in every day just because they are on the doorstep, they wouldn't want it and we wouldn't want to do it.

Be polite but firm and explain that it's not leaving you time to do anything else like see your friends or just relax in your own house, you need your husband to back this up also.
There is no getting around the fact that they will likely be put out by this but it's better done now than your resentment growing until it turns in to a bigger issue than it needs to be, good luck! Xx

BlueBelle Wed 17-Oct-18 06:41:33

Chewbacca???

MawBroon Wed 17-Oct-18 09:03:34

Likewise chewbacca ??
I would suggest you innocently and pleasantly book some other arrangements for some weekends but give them plenty of notice first.