Gransnet forums

Relationships

Nasty friends of friends

(219 Posts)
Jaxie Sat 03-Nov-18 07:48:15

Last week I was invited to an informal celebration by a friend. There were three couples and myself. The conversation turned to tv. I said I could recommend a tv station that showed old, usually b&w films, and that I'd recently watched a favourite: The Winslow Boy. A man piped up and said that there was a newer version of this film. " Yes," I said, " but it's not as good; it's got that actor in Basil Rathbone's part, can't remember his name, he's rather ugly." This man said, "What do you mean? Ugly like you?" No-one said anything and later my hostess denied that she'd heard him, but we were crammed around a small table, and one participant tried to comfort me when he saw how upset I was as we walked home. The man who insulted me is an ex- policeman with a bullying manner ( here I'll say a close friend is an ex- policeman, to preempt comments from those who think I'm stereotyping). I am terribly upset. How do I deal with this man when I see him again? I live in a very small town and I dread how I shall feel to encounter him.

annep Wed 21-Nov-18 09:03:40

I thought that was a possibility Rufusmum.

Rufussmum Wed 21-Nov-18 08:06:09

Perhaps (and I'm trying to be charitable) he meant it in an ironic way - ie you aren't ugly and neither is BR.

Luckylegs Fri 09-Nov-18 14:43:51

Flaming autocorrect - Jaxie not Jamie!

Luckylegs Fri 09-Nov-18 14:41:46

I wish you all my best wishes, Jaxie for meeting and dealing with this horrible man again. I am astonished at the posters who just keep repeating “but she called someone ugly!!” as if that makes the original offence negated but if they say it often enough, all the rest of us will cease to have sympathy and empathy with Jamie and feel it was justified. Well, enough of us on here seem to be able to feel sorry for the insult she was dealt and have the milk of human kindness towards an upset lady so as not to make it worse. I’m wishing you all the best for the future Jaxie and hope you are ok.

annep Fri 09-Nov-18 08:29:03

I do think still that ugly is an ugly word to use about a person. But I also have gained some sympathy for how Jaxie is feeling. And she did say the word slipped out. But this guy has been called too many names!

Apricity Fri 09-Nov-18 08:22:53

Well said gillybob. ?

gillybob Fri 09-Nov-18 07:52:20

Just try to ignore the unkind posts Jaxie (easier said than done I know) . As you say they know nothing about your personal situation and how their remarks might hurt you. Instead try to concentrate on those offering sympathy and support ( which is where GN can be brilliant) and remember to hold your head up high when/if you meet that dreadful man again .

Jaxie Fri 09-Nov-18 07:42:24

The poster who thinks I lack perspective has no idea of the personal & health problems I'm tussling with which probably make me more vulnerable to nasty remarks of this type. I gained a great deal of comfort from the support of Gransnetters over this situation. Perhaps the Gransnetters who like to attack the aggrieved person should hold their tongues.

Bridgeit Thu 08-Nov-18 19:48:52

But she herself labelled someone as ugly! ?

adrianon Thu 08-Nov-18 18:48:37

How awful for you . I've found people who choose to lash out with provocative comments enjoy the discomfort they cause. All because they feel very inadequate themselves.
It re aligns the power balance making them feel higher in the pecking order.
I'm a sensitive soul with old school values, nasty cutting jibes sting. Its so difficult ,show no defensive reaction. Their horrible words give them no reward if you blank them.

Sparklefizz Tue 06-Nov-18 13:43:01

oldbatty Mon 05-Nov-18 21:20:52
Blimey hold the news....silly old duffer kicks off at dinner party after too many brandys and calls nice lady ugly.

Is that it?

oldbatty Love it !!! grin

Sparklefizz Tue 06-Nov-18 13:40:34

I can't believe this thread has dragged on for 9 whole pages following on from a very minor incident that happened at least 10 days ago! Some people on GN are struggling with horrible things in their lives such as ill health and bereavement - where is the perspective? The OP must have got over this by now ... after all, we can't control other people but we can choose how we react. Time to call it a day and let it go, methinks.

Buffybee Tue 06-Nov-18 13:16:19

Oh! Do come down off your high horse paddyann.
Maybe her friends thought nothing of the sort, why would they think her nasty at all for calling an actor ugly.
You have also gone off on a tangent by inferring that she could be calling her friends behind their backs.
It's quite different saying that some random actor is ugly, against saying it to someone's face.
You are taking pleasure in turning the fault onto the OP.
When the fault is the arsehole who insulted her.
Oh dear! Called him an arsehole, probably wouldn't be invited to any of your parties.
Who cares!
Friends should defend their friends against a rude boor.

paddyann Tue 06-Nov-18 00:38:55

Maybe her "friends" think she's the nasty one if its normal for her to call people ugly.I know I'd think twice about asking someone back if they had that attitude towards someone they dont even know.If they can say it about him what are they saying about you behind your back .I am very glad my friends dont have the attitude of many on here who think its OK to see others as ugly.Nice attitude to hand down the generations!

Jalima1108 Mon 05-Nov-18 23:13:14

oldbatty - that is it and perhaps a nice glass of red wine accidentally spilling all over him may have been in order.

kwest Mon 05-Nov-18 23:10:59

I think, if we are honest, anyone of us would feel upset by the remark of this rude and obnoxious man. There is no reason why you should have to put up with his company in future. If you are invited to further events with this particular group, you could ask very clearly if this man will be there and politely refuse the invitation if this is the case. You can take back your personal power by refusing to be defined by the opinions of this low-life.

Bridgeit Mon 05-Nov-18 21:27:05

Yes that’s correct Oldbatty, apparently that was his reply to Jaxie describing an actor as rather ugly.

Bridgeit Mon 05-Nov-18 21:23:39

Sorry posted twice

Bridgeit Mon 05-Nov-18 21:22:30

Babybelle, the message from GN says they have received a number of reports about my comments.

oldbatty Mon 05-Nov-18 21:20:52

Blimey hold the news....silly old duffer kicks off at dinner party after too many brandys and calls nice lady ugly.

Is that it?

MissAdventure Mon 05-Nov-18 21:09:40

I would go as far as to say its quite ugly to report someone to admin. grin
I can't see where anyone here has overstepped the mark.
Just differing opinions!

Bridgeit Mon 05-Nov-18 21:04:06

The message from GN, said that they had received a number of reports regarding my comments/ post

Babybelle Mon 05-Nov-18 20:42:50

All?Why,have many people reported you then,Bridgeit?

annep Mon 05-Nov-18 20:42:44

I can't think why you were reported. I think some people were angry that you didn't share their views. But as long as we try to make our point in a civilised manner we should be allowed to. We have to be able to discuss and debate. GN has helped ne to do this better with friends and others. It's good to listen to others and sometimes see things from another perspective.

Bridgeit Mon 05-Nov-18 20:08:41

Thanks Jalima,Maddyone & Alex, much appreciated