Gransnet forums

Relationships

Stopped from seeing my grandchildren

(48 Posts)
Pallmall1964 Tue 06-Nov-18 12:02:46

I was looking after my grandchildren until a month ago when I got a chest infection and could not have them for a week I asked my daughter to see them and she said you can't see them I thought you were ill.its been a month now and every time I ask to see them she comes out with you are ill.i have severe emphersema and chronic bronchitis and on oxygen but she still let me have them every day it wasn't till I got this chest infection that she started this,she seems to be enjoying my pain my eldest gs is 8 and the other two are both under one.she met this man two years ago and has admitted he does not want her to come here. her friends have even told her to get in touch with woman's aid because she would be working and he would storm in and start shouting at her to get home because he did not like her working near men or throw her car keys in bushes so she could not go to work.he even demanded she come home because there was something wrong with the 8 year old,when she got home he said nothing wrong with your son but someone is trying to blackmail him he said he has joined a site and he was masturbating with these girls and now they were trying to blackmail him.he said it's not cheating everyone does it.he has also slammed my grandsons head in to concrete on purpose in front of my dd and because my gs who 8 spilt a drink so he put a tea towel over his fist and punched him in the stomach my dd said she shouted at him for it.he has given up work because he has four kids with his wife and that was only leaving him with £100 month to live on he has two with my dd.she now goes to work two jobs to keep the family going the kids get an awful time with him while she is at work.she buys him drink every night and he also goes out on a Tuesday to the pub,she is not allowed anywhere she puts up with it she even found text asking his wife to give it another go.i usually take my gs8 on holiday and when I was waiting for the flights to be released she asked me to get her and the gc a ticket I asked her three times if she was sure,she was adamant she was doing something for her and the gc so I booked six tickets for July.i have just seen a message on her facebook she is looking to book a holiday for them including him she has not told me and I have paid for six tickets to turkey.i really don't no what I have done,

notanan2 Sun 06-Jan-19 17:09:58

Women don't leave because they are most at risk of escalated violence and murder when they leave and abusive partners make sure they know that!

notanan2 Sun 06-Jan-19 17:08:07

And do you know which GP they are registered with? They wont discuss it with you but you should still inform them of what is going on.

notanan2 Sun 06-Jan-19 17:06:32

Sounds like a police matter to me

Jaye53 Sun 06-Jan-19 16:37:17

Typo as soon as possible

Jaye53 Sun 06-Jan-19 16:36:32

Please phone NSPCC first as soo. As possible

Luckylegs9 Sat 01-Dec-18 17:21:55

Agnes's, putting a towel over the face of a child and punching him in the stomach, then smashing his head into concrete are life threatening, he is fortunate he didn't die, whatever the circumstances of this mans control, the over riding factor is the child's life. No child should be beaten and abused.v all the factors you mention could be sorted at a refuge, they are as nothing compared to the children's suffering.

Buffybee Fri 30-Nov-18 15:18:26

PallMall, if Social Services are not taking you seriously, I would contact the Health Visitor, they are very much into child safe guarding and would have a legitimate reason to visit the property as your Dd has a baby.
If I could advise you to speak to them calmly and in control as if you go in with "all guns blazing" they might not take notice or think that you are just causing trouble.
DO NOT go on about your daughter or your relationship with your daughter.
Just tell them plainly that you are very, very worried about your Dgs as that he is being punched by his Stepfather.
That is all you need to tell them, they will figure out the rest themselves.
The little boy needs help!

Nelliemoser Mon 12-Nov-18 07:39:57

Lynne59. If you ring the NSPCC your referral will just be passed on to the local Child protection services . But it does need doing. These services have been in crisis for the last eight years.

agnurse Sun 11-Nov-18 22:52:30

Luckylegs

It's not as simple as her just walking away, for a number of reasons:
-her self-esteem may be so poor she doesn't feel able to leave
-she may have pets he has threatened to harm if she leaves (many shelters won't take animals)
-she may not have money - if they share a bank account or if he controls the account he could freeze their assets
-she may not have a job of her own, or if she does, it may not pay well
-the violence may well escalate if she tries to leave, potentially even to the point of becoming homicidal (not a theoretical risk; there are cases where it has happened and statistically the point where she tries to leave is the most dangerous for her)

This is why most agencies don't just focus on telling the woman to LTB. They focus on helping her to be safe, however that looks for her. Obviously leaving would be best, but it's not always a simple and easy process.

BlueBelle Sun 11-Nov-18 21:28:32

Are you going to be fit enough to fly to Turkey if you are on daily oxygen ? I don’t understand why you would buy six tickets you know your daughter is ‘not allowed’ to come to you, so he d hardly let her go on holiday with you Are they twins that are under one ? That seems an awful handful to go to Turkey as you are so unfit
If you are not able enough to help these children then your husband must set the ball rolling to get some help they can’t be left to be injured and bullied This is an awful situation

M0nica Sun 11-Nov-18 20:03:30

Yes, this is an issue, where someone needs to contact someone and make a fuss. As oldbatty says send an email if you are afraid of talking to them direct.

Keep copies or a note of every contact with SS, NSPCC etc etc - and tell them that you are keeping them for the enquiry that will follow if the children or your daughter are seriously injured or killed.

And if you are not yet doing anything even though you know your DD and DGC are being abused, then you better start preparing the explanation you will need to give to the courts as to why you did nothing.

oldbatty Sun 11-Nov-18 18:34:04

Nobody has responded to my suggestion to write an email to Children's Services.

Something along the lines of " I am concerned about ***. I believe they are not safe. I have witnessed*******"

Never mind the hand wringing, get on with it.

Telly Sun 11-Nov-18 18:29:18

I think that there is probably a lot more going on here which is possibly why she is refusing your requests to see the children. Perhaps something has happened in the past month that she does not want you to know about? I would try to make sure that you see them as a matter of urgency. Think of a reason to go over - taking a gift or something? Or meeting for a coffee? Perhaps you can speak to the 8 year old on the phone? Doing nothing is not an option when, from what you have stated, a child is being abused.

Luckylegs9 Sun 11-Nov-18 15:51:06

This thread should be called. Why am I allowing my grandchildren to suffer abuse? . It's not about you, it's about the children. They need to be safe, the mother is putting up with the unacceptable, the children shouldn't have to. Contact a site for domestic violence. They are not married, why doesn't she leave? However frightened she is, how frightened must those children be.

Madgran77 Sat 10-Nov-18 18:12:46

gmelon that was my impression too from her original posts but later in the thread she has given more detail of other actions she has taken. It appears to be a complicated, painful and very worrying situation for her grandchild and her daughter and for her too.

gmelon Fri 09-Nov-18 16:22:45

Maybe I've inadvertently
misunderstood.
I did think that OP wanted to know what SHE had done wrong.

gmelon Fri 09-Nov-18 16:21:18

Yes I've read it all.

Madgran77 Fri 09-Nov-18 13:32:00

gmelon did you actually read the whole thread?!!!

gmelon Fri 09-Nov-18 12:13:22

Your question is "what have i done?" !!!
Tickets to Turkey that you've paid for.
Why the hell are you so focused on yourself.
Poor daughter.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 09-Nov-18 11:04:04

We're so sorry to hear you're going through this, Pallmall. You've had some really great support and useful advice from other gransnetters on the thread already. We hope this works

We hope you don't mind, but when these threads are flagged to us we like to link to our web-guides, which we hope may be helpful. If you'd like to, please do feel free to take a look at these resources on Domestic Violence.

We really hope your situation improves. Please keep us updated.

Very best wishes from us all at GNHQ flowers

Jobey68 Fri 09-Nov-18 09:10:09

Oh my goodness those poor children ? I can only imagine how heartbreaking it is to witness this feeling powerless to stop it. You must continue try to do everything you can to get them away from an awful situation.
Your daughter is an adult and if for reasons that quite frankly baffle me she wants to stay then that's her decision but those poor little mights don't choose to be in that environment, they deserve to be safe and loved as all children do. Never give up trying to fight for them, at the minute you are all they have

westerlywind Wed 07-Nov-18 02:48:00

I have watched similar and it is utterly heartbreaking. PallMall1964 remember in all of this you need to protect your own health. My situation damaged my health.
I am at my wits end with trying to get through to my relative. She just does not see that she is losing family and friends since she took up with this new partner.
It is so hard to watch knowing that there is really nothing that you can do. As much as we would like to lift up our DD and take them home it is just not physically possible. There is also the fact that DD is turning the abuse on my and GC. I have had GC repeat what I suspect was over heard in the house about me. I really do not want to have another generation of relative being abusive.
I suspect that SS are letting a lot of situations get by them however they are failing GC and GP to whom they have a duty of care.

agnurse Wed 07-Nov-18 02:23:15

Ah. I see. I thought they were his children.

I agree that if they're not his kids SS will take a dim view of his behaviour.

Is their natural father involved? I wonder if it would be possible for the children to spend some time with him.

Although you're correct in that she won't be charged if they're not his kids, the fact still remains that the violence could escalate if she attempts to leave. Sadly, as I said, there are cases where violence has become homicidal in these situations. Clearly that would be devastating for the children if the worst happened.

I'm not saying she shouldn't leave or that it's a bad idea. Rather I'm saying it's not as simple as just walk away. Sometimes, too, people have beloved pets that the abuser will threaten. Many women's shelters won't take animals so women will stay for their pets as well.

Momof3 Tue 06-Nov-18 22:59:07

The DD is at huge risk too if he’s punching his stepchildren/children he isn’t going to be averse to punching the Mom is he, it makes no difference if she was spoilt as a child.

Momof3 Tue 06-Nov-18 22:57:12

My deepest thoughts go out to you though I can not imagine how you and your husband are feeling at the moment flowers