Gransnet forums

Relationships

Should I be Feeling Guilty?

(24 Posts)
Nicola7722 Wed 21-Nov-18 18:28:14

Hi. Some of you might remember that I had to leave the UK together with my daughter after several years to escape an abusive relationship. Additionally, my ex had serious mental health issues. He is now suicidal.

Recently his mum did not send me a birthday card (she sent one to my daughter) and I was wondering whether she blames me that he ended up in this state given we had a tough time over the years with my daughter being ill (something she inherited from me) so we suffered financially and mentally. However, when she got better and my ex's parents encouraged him to go back to work he did not seem that interested (possibly due to mental issues) and neither was he too keen on me working.

Should I be feeling sad and guilty for making the situation worse by leaving ?

janeainsworth Wed 21-Nov-18 18:48:54

You escaped an abusive relationship. That's nothing to feel guilty about.

Perhaps his mum just forgot your birthday. You don't say how much contact you and your daughter have with your ex-inlaws, so it's hard to comment on whether or not she blames you for anything at all.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Nov-18 18:49:20

Blood is always thicker than water at times like this so I wouldn't be worrying over a birthday card. Although she may have felt awkward about whether to send you one or not.
The main gist of this is that you escaped an abusive relationship which his mother must have known about initially of his mental state-----she is his mother !
Maybe by leaving him she may have realised too that the onus of his " care " would fall on her hence her encouragement to get him back to work, not a great move to suggest to someone with mental health issues.
I certainly wouldn't blame yourself by leaving nor should you feel guilty about the whole thing.
Working would be good for you if you feel you could do it or if there's a financial need.

Nicola7722 Wed 21-Nov-18 19:21:31

Janeainsworth: Well I mainly have contact with his siblings who remembered my birthday but occassionally his mum texts to say hello to me and my daughter. I know his mum is distraught over the way her son ended up (as he refuses help) so I can imagine what she is going through.

Nicola7722 Wed 21-Nov-18 19:25:04

EllanVannin: yes she did say that once I left (as everyone realised that I was going to have to leave) the 'onus' would be on them to care for him. It was obviously impossible for me to handle it all by myself when I had a young daughter to look after

oldbatty Wed 21-Nov-18 20:14:59

Blood is always thicker than water

no its not

Melanieeastanglia Wed 21-Nov-18 20:44:36

No, I don't think you ought to feel guilty. You had to leave the abusive relationship to protect yourself and your daughter.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Nov-18 21:03:23

More often than not it is oldbatty. A mother will support her son over his wife. Yes ?

oldbatty Wed 21-Nov-18 21:05:55

er no

Luckylegs9 Wed 21-Nov-18 21:26:29

You did what you needed to do to leave an abusive marriage. It is hard for your mil though, you can't turn your back on your child whatever age he is, particularly if they have mental issues, she must be worn out. She is probably so busy she just forgot your birthday. Send her the odd text I am sure she would love to hear from you and she understands why you did what you did. I am sure you would always be there for your d too.

Madgran77 Wed 21-Nov-18 21:51:08

I think blood is thicker than water is a silly phrase! A mother who knows her son is abusive and who has emotional intelligence is perfectly capable of understanding why her DIL had to leave!! Maybe she just forgot the card Nicola. Could you send a friendly text just asking how she is? flowers

MissAdventure Wed 21-Nov-18 21:56:01

I have known of a few cases of mothers in particular who can see no wrong in their abusive childrens behaviours.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Nov-18 22:16:54

What are you worrying about a birthday card for, that’s really so unimportantand
No one on here can tell you how you should be feeling only you can know if you should be sad, guilty relieved or anything else you did what you felt you had to do, so that’s really all there is to it
You sound as if the whole family have been through the wringer and you re concerned your daughter got a card and you didn’t the poor mother is probably out of her mind with worry looking after her son I would think cards are low down on her list to remember

notanan2 Thu 22-Nov-18 00:12:06

Card giving naturally tails off as you drift away from people. I think thats the most likely explaination

pinkwallpaper Thu 22-Nov-18 01:27:04

My friend has it seen or spoken to her son since he left her DinL for another woman when she was 8 months pregnant. She has fully supported her DInL and grandchildren. She would have remained in contact but he refused as he said she had sided with D in L and felt she should have backed him only as he was her son. This was 15 years ago. Sad but friend was appalled by his behaviour and still feels she made the right choice. So blood is not always thicker than water.

Baggs Thu 22-Nov-18 05:56:59

No, you shouldn't be feeling guilty, nicola.

You didn't make the situation worse by leaving. You made the situation you and your daughter were in better by escaping abuse.

The situation your ex and his family are in is and never was your responsibility.

If your daughter were suicidal mightn't you forget to send a few birthday cards?

Baggs Thu 22-Nov-18 06:38:44

is not and never was

Nicola7722 Thu 22-Nov-18 06:40:02

Luckylegs9. I did send her a text to thank her for card sent to my daughter and i will still send her a small gift for Xmas.

Nicola7722 Thu 22-Nov-18 06:43:40

Pinkwallpaper . His siblings definitely support me as they know I had no choice but to leave given the abuse and the fact that he refused help with his serious mental illness

Nicola7722 Thu 22-Nov-18 06:45:23

Baggs I definitely made the right decision by leaving even though it was a very difficult one. Trying to help someone with mental issues who refuses help and tells you that you are the 'crazy' one is difficult to handle especially when you are trying to look after a young child

Nicola7722 Thu 22-Nov-18 06:49:05

BlueBelle it is not the card itself I was concerned about (would have been happy enough with just a text) but the fact that she might be partially blaming me that situation got worse since i left. But in saying that I know for sure that his siblings fully support me as they know what I went through between trying to cope with his mental illness (which he refuses to accept) and abuse that either came with it or worsened coz of the illness

BlueBelle Thu 22-Nov-18 06:52:33

But Nicola with all that’s gone on in your life can’t you relax a bit and in Disney’s word ‘let it go’, a card is only a card Maybe your card went astray in the post
Maybe she forgot
Maybe she has bigger things to think of
Maybe she just doesn’t want to
Let it go

notanan2 Thu 22-Nov-18 07:27:26

You are investing too much in her opinion. It is nice that his family supports you but your emotional wellbeing shouldnt relyon it.

Look, we all get into habits of sending cards or gifts to people we are seeing less and less of until you realise it is silly and stop. There is no malice behind it, you just realise that you are still in the habit of it even though you are no longer close.

If she resented you then why would she have send the previous cards.
And for arguements sake, if she DID blame you, so what? You know you did the right thing and the opinion of someone you no longer see regularly doesnt change that.

Nicola7722 Thu 22-Nov-18 10:42:13

Notanan2 you hit the nail on the head with your sound advice. Bluebelle I need to let it go..thanks