Gransnet forums

Relationships

Valentine plans

(164 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 11-Feb-19 21:38:18

Has anyone planned an exciting/romantic/sexy evening on Thursday, unbeknown to their partner/husband/lover?
Have you decided on your gift to him/her or is it already wrapped and safely hidden.
E-card or real card?
Have you planned a special outfit in case he springs a surprise dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant?
Will you be cooking a Valentine's £20 dinner for two from a supermarket?
Do tell.
I'll be at my OH's house where he says there will be no expense spared. We won't be having alcohol as neither of us drink and I have given heavy hints about the food I will eat. After 5 years, I think that message has sunk in.
My presents to him are a cashmere sweater and silver cufflinks engraved with his and my initials.
Over to you...

PECS Thu 14-Feb-19 14:50:16

So.. soppy nana that I am! 1 fpr each grandchild????

Lily65 Thu 14-Feb-19 09:50:02

Try to join in my home counties er " get together". We can always find room for more.

Its all very tasteful, Bert Baccarat on the stereo, nibbles and Mateus Rose. Only the pampas grass is a hint of what is available indoor.

MissAdventure Thu 14-Feb-19 09:03:25

My plan for today is to return a toilet seat which arrived without the appropriate fittings from eBay.

MawBroon Thu 14-Feb-19 08:34:34

The thing about Valentine’s Day now is that it’s irrelevant, but at the same time it’s a day for potentially causing offence. Nobody cares. Everyone’s past it. Maybe it’s even a bit creepy in 2019. And yet, how you play it has to be carefully managed. The fact is that the day of flirty love messaging and 20 long-stemmed roses is over, but the day of proving your emotional sensitivity has arrived. It’s a test, basically. For men.

Juggernaut Wed 13-Feb-19 16:11:44

I spent our fourth St Valentine's day together giving birth to our DS!
After receiving a baby as a St Valentine's present, flowers, chocolates, jewellery all pale by comparison!
I did get a rather beautiful diamond eternity ring the year after our DS was born thoughgrin

kittylester Wed 13-Feb-19 15:06:18

trueblu, you will get much more advice on this topic if you start a thread about it.

maryhoffman37 Wed 13-Feb-19 14:41:24

Our Christmas present from youngest daughter was a box containing two "date nights." They consisted of two DVDs, chocolates, dates (!), popcorn and a fine bottle of Merlot. We decided the second lot would be enjoyed on Valentine's Night, so that's us sorted. We've saved the wine, popcorn and dates for this one. The DVD is in a sealed envelope!

Trueblu Wed 13-Feb-19 14:06:39

This is my first post on grandsnet. Not a pleasant subject to ask about. Ex husband of 23 years is dying. Sons are visiting him. I live two hours away. Should I visit or not? Not had anything to do with him a part from weddings etc. So many good reasons why we divorced. He has a partner who doesn’t live with him there. Is it usual to visit, will I feel guilty if I don’t? Eldest son said don’t but it’s up to me. Not sure he would know me as he’s wandering all over the place and of course asking for me. I know it’s up to me but would like to know if anyone has been in this situation.

Willow500 Wed 13-Feb-19 09:12:17

We've been married for 48 years and together since we were 11 - I have never had a Valentines card but equally never sent one. In fact we're not even in the same house tomorrow grin

narrowboatnan Wed 13-Feb-19 08:49:52

Valentine Day is also our wedding anniversary. When we got wed February 14th was the only date the registry office had available for that month. At least we never forget the anniversary ??

Rowantree Tue 12-Feb-19 23:41:01

We never bother with it.
Enjoy, if it floats your boat. I'm spending part of the day having a bone scan!

nannyof4 Tue 12-Feb-19 22:32:01

Its nice for the youngsters to celebrate,going on over 30years here nothing planned,my birthday is just after so will hopefully go out then.

Missiseff Tue 12-Feb-19 22:28:12

That's hilarious Barneyoldbat, love it!

Lollin Tue 12-Feb-19 22:19:26

Very interesting reading. Since marrying we agreed not to buy each other anything at all agreeing that we celebrate our love for each other without needing a specific day. Still lovely ideas to read, enjoy your celebrations.

bikergran Tue 12-Feb-19 21:29:48

I will look at my last valentines card DH gave me..and the red roses I pressed, he used to send one of the girls out to buy a card and little bunch of red roses when he could no longer get out himself..oh how I wish he was here and I could cook him a little romantic meal.

Enjoy your evenings/lunches with your loved ones everyone smile flowers

BlueSapphire Tue 12-Feb-19 20:55:22

And I have got a card for late DH, he died last February, and will go and buy some red roses, which he always bought for me; if it pleases me, why not?

BlueSapphire Tue 12-Feb-19 20:49:52

I have bought myself a bottle of pink fizz and I will sit and drink a couple of glasses on my own.

justwokeup Tue 12-Feb-19 20:37:17

No cards, no special meal or gift in this house but it is a memorable day for me for other reasons, so I'll be thinking of that. Bless all you lovely romantics, and all of you not so romantic, and hope the day is a happy one for all of you.

shirleyhick Tue 12-Feb-19 20:32:37

I am single so will not be doing anything. Wishing everyone else a lovely day and evening

trendygran Tue 12-Feb-19 19:39:30

I’ll be another one having a meal for two on my own .I always used to make a special meal when my DH was alive ,but that stopped just over 10 years ago. A friend has recommended the Waitrose meal ,which is the same price as Mand S. Would love to have someone to share the meal -or any meal- with, but have not found anyone so far,apart from a lovely man who is happy to share a coffee but is .used to his own company after 22 years of being a widower .- shame!

Daisyboots Tue 12-Feb-19 19:33:08

My Dad was the kindest man you could ever wish to meet but not a romantic bone in his body. Despite 57 years of marriage Mum had never received a Valentine card from him or anyone else. He would take her out for a meal but nothing more romantic than that. So the first Valentine's day she lived with us I bought her the most loving one I could find addressed to "someone special". She knew it was from me but she loved it and kept it until she died 11 years later. When my brother was born Dad went to see Mum in the maternity hospital carrying a suitcase. Inside the case were flowers for her because he was to embarrassed to be seen carrying them on the bus.

ClaraB Tue 12-Feb-19 19:28:56

My DH is the most unromantic man on the planet and many years ago he decided we didn't need to do Valentine's Day. I might buy an M & S or Waitrose meal as I would like to celebrate it and I know that he will enjoy eating it.

Peardrop50 Tue 12-Feb-19 17:55:33

We've been together since 1965 and married since 1970. Stopped buying in to the commercial racket a long time ago. We rub along together nicely, treat each other with respect, show our love for each other every day one way or another. I receive a bunch of flowers spontaneously now and then and am more than happy.
For those of you who like to celebrate St Valentine's Day have a lovely time.

Lily65 Tue 12-Feb-19 17:51:11

We will be going out for a hack and then back to her place for threesome.

allule Tue 12-Feb-19 17:47:57

About three years into our marriage, I got a Valentine's card. Great effort, obviously, as he then forgot my birthday two days later.
Another fifty years with no repeat, but luckily I couldn't care less!
Good luck to those that do smile