Gransnet forums

Relationships

What relationship advice would you give your daughter?

(82 Posts)
highandfighty Tue 12-Feb-19 13:50:47

Should she ask for it of course! My daughter's friends have organised a hen party and one bit of it involve a tea party and we all need to read out some advice we would give her for a long and happy marriage. Mine would be 'laugh a lot' but also less romantically, 'keep a separate rainy/runaway fund'. What advice would you give?

supermodels Fri 15-Feb-19 11:12:41

I would give her a advice to be careful before bonding and did never get pushed/forced into things that she don't like. Also, she need to be trust her judgement and support her choices.

AlexG Fri 15-Feb-19 09:47:58

You may love them but don't always like them. But when you dislike them more than like them, then it is time to call it a day. Simple but true and I've used this mantra on two occasions.

Poppyann1 Fri 15-Feb-19 00:01:58

NEVER 're heat pork.

HildaW Thu 14-Feb-19 14:11:58

Mind you can remember the episode in the Big Bang Theory when Amy and Sheldon drew up their Contract....seems to work well for them!

cassandra264 Thu 14-Feb-19 08:56:48

HannahLoisLuke 100% correct. But littleflo is right, too. In my 25 year marriage I was too scared to communicate the things I wasn't happy about, so everything got worse, I became increasingly resentful, and eventually that was that.

However, in my subsequent 20 year relationship (still going strong) I am aware that some of the training I later received via the workplace has come in very handy in the home.

Buy her a book on assertiveness which has had good reviews!

HannahLoisLuke Wed 13-Feb-19 23:33:06

Also keep up with your friends. Never make your man your entire world. You'll be bored and boring!

HannahLoisLuke Wed 13-Feb-19 23:30:54

Have a joint bank account for bills and saving and also separate accounts for personal spending,

Maimeo Wed 13-Feb-19 22:00:25

With regard to “running away money”, a friend advised me about it when I got married, but suggested it could be any amount squirreled away, from a fiver to five hundred...... basically when the children were young and driving you up the walls on a rainy day, that you'd have the price of a cup of coffee in a cafe when you could manage to get away.... that might mean as much at that point in your life as the price of a flight away many years later!

Longdistancegrnny Wed 13-Feb-19 21:23:38

As my girls were growing up I instilled in them never to cry over a man, and DD1 had an awful relationship with a man whilst living on the other side of the world. When she rang me to tell me they were splitting up (luckily not married) she said “I’m sorry Mum, I did cry a bit” - poor girl, it must have been bad. Wish I had been there to give her a hug then. Never mind - she picked herself up, dusted herself down and is now happily married with 3 children. Perhaps I had overdone the advice I was trying to give them!

anna7 Wed 13-Feb-19 20:53:06

Love that song Gabriella! Not sure about a running away fund. I don't think I would have been happy if my husband had a secret fund stashed away. And I would certainly not be impressed if my dils had secret savings. That said my husband and have always shared our money whoever earned it. I appreciate that may not always be the case, especially in the past.

GabriellaG54 Wed 13-Feb-19 20:40:41

I'd sing
Let's Face the Music and Dance

Diana Krall

There may be trouble ahead
But while there's music and moonlight and love and romance
Let's face the music and dance

Before the fiddlers have fled
Before they ask us to pay the bill and while we still have the chance

Soon we'll be without the moon, humming a different tune and then
There may be teardrops to shed
So while there's moonlight and music and love and romance

grin

Saggi Wed 13-Feb-19 17:00:39

For the bride .... have your own separate bank account and always keep your financial independence. Husbands treat you better if they know you have an ‘out’. Believe me since I realised this TOO late in my marriage for me ... but passed it on to daughter and her ‘out’ is imminent!

Tokyojo3 Wed 13-Feb-19 16:39:07

To PaddyAnn ... my Dad said exactly that to me in the back of a big white rolls Royce on the way to the church.... and I should have said “ I do” but didn’t and had a dreadful marriage to a sulker who expected me to be somebody different to who I really was!
My darling Dads been gone 40 years this month and I still miss him every day. My take on marriage? Buyer beware!!!

SunnySusie Wed 13-Feb-19 16:35:21

Love him for his faults as well as his virtues and hope that he will do the same.

Pussycat2012 Wed 13-Feb-19 15:54:04

Have a joint bank account so u both know where that hard earned cash is going!

Nanannotgrandma Wed 13-Feb-19 15:53:02

ALWAYS earn your own money, keep your own bank account and don’t put all your money in a joint bank account. Then whatever happens, illness, death or divorce you can manage

Boolya Wed 13-Feb-19 14:30:40

If you each try to give 75% then if one day one of you only feels like 25%, the other should balance it, hopefully.

breeze Wed 13-Feb-19 14:18:55

Was going to say never go to sleep on an argument but it's tiring staying up all night!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 13-Feb-19 14:16:26

Remember that you have your faults too, and that some of your habits may irritate your husband.

NEVER repeat anything you are told by friends, relatives in confidence to your husband and don't ask him to tell you things said to him in confidence.

Refuse to repeat criticisms of him made by others. Tell the critic to talk to him about it her/himself.

Never promise the DH will do any favours for friends and family, if they want his help they can ask him for it.

Suggest to him that these points apply to him too, "what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander."

Caro57 Wed 13-Feb-19 13:43:19

Have patience and keep a sense of humour.

My IFA strongly advises having a ‘running away’ fund. Have never needed it (yet ?) but one day it will be there to be enjoyed by me or my beneficiaries

rafichagran Wed 13-Feb-19 13:27:00

Truthfully, Don't make the mistakes I made. But she knows this already. I would just remind her.

Hollycat Wed 13-Feb-19 12:57:12

Pick your arguments. If it’s annoying but trivial bite your lip, no one likes a nag!

Overthehills Wed 13-Feb-19 12:34:04

Believe in yourself.
Don’t think you can change him.
Only talk about your husband to a friend with a bad memory!

lizzypopbottle Wed 13-Feb-19 12:01:27

In the words of Bill and Ted, "Be excellent to each other!"

Nanny27 Wed 13-Feb-19 11:47:27

Well my lovely mum obviously erred on the side of practicality. Her advice to me on the eve of my wedding was "be careful with money but never scrimp on toilet rolls or shoes" Bless her.