Gransnet forums

Relationships

Christening

(8 Posts)
NannyB2604 Sat 16-Mar-19 08:46:49

Hi. Our great nephew is going to be christened in a couple of weeks. Nephew and wife have asked for a John Lewis voucher ad a gift which is fine. However, just wondering if we should also buy a gift for big brother (aged 2). I know he's had a few issues with having a new baby in the house, so would a little gift help him feel included? Or should he learn that sometimes it's someone else's day?

annsixty Sat 16-Mar-19 08:53:20

I would, he is very young and has had a huge change in his life.
He will learn when he is older that other people can have their day.

ninathenana Sat 16-Mar-19 08:56:01

I would buy a small gift for him and wrap it, at that age the paper is the fun part !
Yes, he will need to learn that it is not all about him but he's only 2. There is plenty of time for that.

Reminds me that my son's Godmother bought his older sister a battery operated toy guitar the day DS was Christened. It "got lost" halfway through the party smile

mcem Sat 16-Mar-19 09:49:55

We don't give gifts to the siblings for birthdays but a little gift to big brother when he is still so young would be a very good idea. I always include something for the "big" one when a new baby arrives.
33 years ago my girls were delighted when their new baby brother "gave" them each a care bear. (They were 10 and (8)!

Greenfinch Sat 16-Mar-19 11:04:51

I agree with everyone else.In my experience,by the time they are 5 they are quite happy not to receive anything when a sibling has a special occasion.Even before that really.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 16-Mar-19 12:10:24

I, too, always give a gift to a child in this situation; usually a book about being a big brother/sister. There are lots to choose from. Books with pictures under a flap are very engaging at the age of two.

NannyB2604 Sat 16-Mar-19 17:12:00

Thanks all, very helpful. Was tending towards buying a little gift for big brother and you've all confirmed this would be the right thing to do ??

glammanana Sat 16-Mar-19 17:48:49

Last week was my GGDs 3rd birthday she has a little brother aged 10mths and we took him a wooden jigsaw wrapped in bright paper,he had masses of fun with the paper by the way.