Gransnet forums

Relationships

Want to find love

(10 Posts)
Lily65 Tue 07-May-19 17:23:22

Welcome to GN and good luck with your search.

donald23 Tue 07-May-19 17:21:29

actually most people are disappointed by online dating

Tedber Thu 02-May-19 20:09:16

cazzajen My advice to you would be to stop looking for anyone else to make you complete. Enjoy your life in the way you want to. Look at what makes you happy You seem to think somebody else can make you happy? Wrong...only you can make you happy. Being a 'couple' isn't the be all and end all. Being happy and content is! Stop looking for a partner and get out there enjoying your life on your own and who knows where it will lead?

lynch222 Sat 27-Apr-19 16:04:00

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

tiredoldwoman Tue 23-Apr-19 18:10:36

Cazzajen , I think you should keep trying with on line dating , even if you don't meet anyone it can be fun . Chatting is safe , you can always just delete any that you don't like . I'm sure you'll find someone that will think you're just wonderful . keep us posted ?

FlexibleFriend Mon 22-Apr-19 13:19:34

Most people are disappointed by online dating as most people feel the need to lie. They knock at least 10 years off their age and want a woman much younger than themselves. Some find it most don't.

Starlady Mon 22-Apr-19 09:17:38

I think the above two posters have given you some great ideas, cazzajen! Happy hunting and good luck!

stella1949 Mon 22-Apr-19 02:39:44

I met my DH when I was 53, we volunteered together. I do think this is a good way to meet people - since you are working, doing things together and get to know one another in the "real world".

I'd suggest looking for volunteering opportunities in your area, where men and women are involved. Or think about attending U3A classes which attract men and women. At the very least you'll meet some new people, and you never know when "Mister Right" might come along. Good luck.

BradfordLass72 Sun 21-Apr-19 23:47:35

I doubt you'll find it on a dating site.

I was once commissioned to write an article on such sites and my research showed that most (although not all) people were disappointed.

Men were looking for sex and/or someone to look after them (if they were older) and women wanted companionship more than sex. This is, of course, a generalisation based on a number of interviews.

The conclusion was that long-term face to face relationships, and not just the hit-and-miss dating and hoping, work better.

I suggest you look at what groups are available for people over 50 in your area and try to join a few.

If, as you say, you are slightly disabled, then that broadens the field as well, as there are also clubs catering to those needs. At least where I live.

Here are some websites which may help:
www.ageuk.org.uk/
grey-power.org.uk/

But as I am not in the UK now, I rely on other GNetters to give more accurate information.
Best of luck flowers

cazzajen Sun 21-Apr-19 18:10:51

I'm only 60 and very young at heart. I have been separated for 2 years now and oh do I miss someone to plod along with at home. I've looked at dating sites and all the men are saying they're into sports, cycling and walking etc and all looking for a 20 year old! I have osteoarthritis and so can't walk miles unless I have my little 3 wheeled walker and that's not going to attract attention is it! I'm overweight as well.
On the plus side I have a wonderful personality but how to I get someone to see past all the surface stuff and see that?