Gransnet forums

Relationships

DH - noisy TV and radio

(15 Posts)
JenniferEccles Wed 01-May-19 17:19:00

It sounds to me as if your husband's dreadfully selfish behaviour goes way beyond a blaring tv on all day, bad though that is.

Why not have a word with him when he is in a reasonable mood and try to explain what impact the incessant noise is having on you.

Then if nothing changes, you need to decide whether you can stand to live the rest of your life with this selfish individual.

quizqueen Mon 29-Apr-19 02:25:29

The delights of living alone are many! Well, the cat doesn't ask for the tv to be put on.

BradfordLass72 Mon 29-Apr-19 01:44:44

Don't the neighbours complain?

Does he have a man-shed where he can be banished comfortable?

If simply telling him you'd like some silence doesn't work, a reasonable request in any home.....so therefore you'd like him to wear earphones, then I'd ask the family to join with you in making sure he realises just how much this distresses you. A united, no-nonsense front might give him pause.

If he was in my house he'd be deprived of a home comfort or two until he accepted a solution. smile

But then I'd never have let it go this far - it would have been nipped in the bud years ago.

jeanie99 Sun 28-Apr-19 21:53:29

Buy him ear phones, he can then have the TV on as loud as he likes and you can have the volume you want.
My husband has hearing loss, even uses the phones when mowing the lawn while he listens to the sport.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 28-Apr-19 12:16:51

Headphones, or move the TV to some room in the house that you don't want to sit in and keep the door to it shut while he is watching TV /sleeping in front of it.

Next time he asks what programme you want it turned to say, loudly, None! Turn it off.

NanaandGrampy Sun 28-Apr-19 11:29:09

I'm not much of a morning person and when DH gets up , the first thing he does is turn the TV which grates on my last nerve.

Ive resolved it by wearing blue tooth headphones, playing gentle music whilst reading my iPad. Cant hear a thing :-) ...then when that first coffee of the day is finished I am ready to join the land of the living :-)

cornergran Sun 28-Apr-19 11:03:58

Same thought here, wireless headphones could restore harmony if a hearing test isn’t acceptable.

Ceaser15 Sun 28-Apr-19 11:03:49

Try ‘subtitles’ on your channel changer!

EllanVannin Sun 28-Apr-19 11:02:16

Get him some headphones !

Gonegirl Sun 28-Apr-19 11:02:14

Tell him that some of the time you want silence. Fight the good fight.

Gonegirl Sun 28-Apr-19 11:00:55

What would happen if you 'insisted' on the opposite, ie limited tv during the day and the radio on in one room where the door can be closed? Preferably not the main living room.

MawBroonsback Sun 28-Apr-19 10:57:37

Has he had a hearing test?
It might also be that he is suffering from Tinnitus and finds that background “noise” relieves this.

Nonnie Sun 28-Apr-19 10:57:30

Everyone in the UK over 55 is entitled to a free hearing test and, if necessary, free hearing aids. I only persuaded DH to go by going as well. Now we both have aids but his are in the box and I wear mine all the time! Old dogs can be taught new tricks but it is not easy and a certain amount of cunning is required!

midgey Sun 28-Apr-19 10:53:56

I would be tempted to move out!

grannie62 Sun 28-Apr-19 10:48:44

DH has not very good hearing and insists on having TV or radio on loudly all day and evening - whenever he is not actually asleep. Any old show will do for him: reality TV or even children's programmes. If I complain he asks which programme I want it turned to.

I want silence.

This has been going on for years and I can't find a solution. He is very difficult with all the family because he feels that he can do as he likes now that he has his pensions.

Anyone else experienced this and found an answer?