Gransnet forums

Relationships

Adult Children

(78 Posts)
showergelfresh Sun 19-May-19 12:41:17

You love them but do you like them?
I’ve been thinking about this recently and wonder what others felt about their AC.
Do you like them?

paddyann Sat 03-Aug-19 15:31:27

I love and like both mine see them often , daily in my sons case .I used to see my daughter daily too until she moved away all of 35 miles but I dont drive so its hard to get to her.We do visit her a lot though because she has serious health issues .

They are both clearly our children,have the same interests and hobbies and talk a lot.just like us. They are both good hearted and helpful to anyone who needs help .My daughters newest friend says she's never met anyone so unselfish in her life.Even though she was struggling with
pain she still volunteered to look after her friends 3 children for a whole week while she sat with her dying mother.

Organised a cleaner and washing and ironing to be done while she was away and food in the fridge and wine for when she came back after her mothers funeral.Shes a woman I'm proud to call my daughter .If I could take her illness and see her well I'd do it in a heartbeat

grizzlybear27 Sat 03-Aug-19 13:36:21

I love both of my sons, but the youngest is the easiest. It wasn't always this way. The eldest has always been the most dominant. He and his ex wife have 3 children, who are wonderful. But he is very bitter after his ex cheated and left him, also has broken up with latest girlfriend. He seems to treat me, as if I am all the bad things about both women, lies etc., which I don't. He has broken off all contact with me, for last 2 months, but speaks to his Dad. We have emotionally and financially supported him.

Razzmatazz123 Sun 28-Jul-19 12:36:02

They have opinions I don't like and sometimes behaviour I don't like. Often watching them make mistakes I made myself is hardest. However I love and like them, I enjoy time with them. If we upset each other we talk it through. Sometimes perspectives change and sometimes not and that's OK. We are different people, I didn't want carbon copies of myself.

Miep1 Tue 21-May-19 12:09:16

Have lost sight of whether I love them or not after being told to ++++ off by all 3. They tell people I'm dead, so I think I am now, as far as they are concerned after 10 years. Quite liberating really, but when their current source of income dries up, I hope they remember there are no pockets in a shroud.

dragonfly46 Tue 21-May-19 11:50:13

You will probably not believe me but I love and like both my AC. They are both different but very kind and caring. When I was diagnosed with cancer they showed how much they care for me too. I have to say they are my favourite people and I would rather spend time with them than anybody else I know.

eazybee Tue 21-May-19 07:31:22

showergel your posts are really bloody nasty aren’t they? No wonder you have problems with relationships with you dc. Fortunately some of us are much more emotionally intelligent and mature,
grin grin grin

The Gransnet administration allows swearing because apparently we are all grown up.
The above is clearly a prime example.

morethan2 Tue 21-May-19 07:23:32

I love all three, I mostly like all three but and it is a very big but I often don’t like or approve of what they do, think or say. Unless it seriously affects me I keep stum, after all they aren’t clones of me or their father and have their own personalities and opinions and rightly so.

Sara65 Tue 21-May-19 07:22:32

Agree Ginny

ginny Tue 21-May-19 07:06:40

I have 3 DDs , I love and like them all . As a family we spend quite a lot of time together.
Of course we don’t all agree on everything but we discuss things and are happy to agree to disagree. We are all there for each other in good times and bad.
I feel loved by them and it makes me very happy that they often include me in outings separately or with all three of them.
When I read some of the problems people on here have with their families I feel so sad for them and I know how lucky I am.

Glammy57 Mon 20-May-19 22:46:41

I love and like my daughter. She is good, kind and caring - having given twenty years to the N.H.S. She treats all of patients with respect, they being homeless or addicts. She raises a lot of money for charity, is a fantastic single mother, adores her parents and her cat! ?

showergelfresh Mon 20-May-19 22:32:34

All very insightful and interesting posts.

I spend more time with my GC than my AC but when I do see them the bottom line is I generally feel the same as MOnica's post above.

Its good to chat with them - I never see them together always separately - and we are all quite similar with similar opinions and its always good to chat with young people anyway - I think as they're often quite refreshing with new ideas - but yes, there are times when we rub each other up the wrong way and with the one with wife and children I have to zip up my mouth as many others have said on this thread and I know to be very common amongst us, which is why I asked the second question...

"Do you ever get fed up with keeping your mouth shut and having to pretend you've never changed a nappy etc. when mum shows to how to spread cream on baby's bottom?"

This actually happened to me when first GS was born but it wasn't DIL who showed me how to change his nappy but DIL'S mother! Grrrrrrrrrr.

GS is 5 now but I will NEVER forget that incident...

Do any of you have stories like this one to share?

M0nica Mon 20-May-19 17:50:53

I love and like both my children. I also admire and respect them.

They are both very different, but I share iterests with both and we have days out together or chat and share information on these share interests. But neither of them is perfect and neither am I and as in any relationship, there are times when we rub each other up the wrong way.

notanan2 Mon 20-May-19 17:46:07

And there are parents who just plain dont like their kids. Personality clash sometimes... other times a missmatch of expectations/hopes.... probably mostly some sort of combination of both?

notanan2 Mon 20-May-19 17:33:58

Some posters are saying that Sara. And yes that is normal

Other posters dont like the people their children are. Which is very different from liking them but disliking some if their behaviours.

Sara65 Mon 20-May-19 17:24:11

I think we are getting a bit too serious about this, I don’t think we are saying we dislike our children, just some aspects of their behaviour, or some of their personality traits, mostly I like my eldest daughter very much, enjoy her company, and we have a real laugh together, but I find her over sensitive, and over emotional, she in turn, thinks I have a tendency to be hard and unsympathetic.

Surely this is normal? Just part of family life

whywhywhy Mon 20-May-19 16:42:17

I tried to love all three of mine equally but they didnt see it that way. My youngest son came along when the eldest son was 18 and he has always been jealous of him. Then my daughter was 16, oh well, she was jealous of the youngest as well. I've tried to be close to her but we havent spoke in 4 years and it isn't looking good at the moment. I have phoned, text and emailed and she just ignores them all and I don't know just what I have done. I get to see my daughters kids through her ex husband. I like/love the two lads but my daughter wont let me like/love her. One day.....

notanan2 Mon 20-May-19 16:36:33

^ There is examples of both on this tread

You can love people who drive you barmy at times. Thats normal and well within the boundaries of a loving relationship so long as you do actually likd and enjoy their company too.

notanan2 Mon 20-May-19 16:32:19

P.s. loving someone doesnt mean you always like everything they do. But it does mean liking who they are, otherwise its not love its something else: co-dependancy, biological urge/need etc. Not love

notanan2 Mon 20-May-19 16:23:54

And thirdly. Nothing suspicous about people who say they have happy families.

My parent thinks all families are like ours and not liking me but still wanting to spend time with me and calling that "love" is just normal family dynamics. But I have had enough love from other sources to know that you dont love the idea of someone, you only love someone if you love who they actually are. And those kinds of families and relationships do exist.

notanan2 Mon 20-May-19 16:20:47

I have been watching this tread with interest wondering whether or not to wade in... or leave posters to it to explore the issue in "safety".... so please dont take this as any sort of attack or projection on any individual poster who has been insightful enough to realise/admit that they dont like their children...

I was loved but not liked by a parent. A few thoughts:

- though they would swear otherwise, I dont think they do love me. I think that what they call loving me is more of a biological compulsion/draw to be around me, even though they dont enjoy my company. I have been lucky enough to have been loved, properly, for who I actually am to know the difference, and love doesnt/shouldnt hurt like that. The more they want to be around me whilst being disappointed in who I am, the more rejected and not loved I felt.

It is a self fulfilling prophecy: if someone is around you and they are disappointed in who you are, it naturally does not bring out the best in you. I am never relaxed around them, this leads to dynamics that they feel justifies the things they think they dont like about me. But it is not me being "myself" because how can I be, they dont like me, myself! They have developed sort of surrogate parental relationships with a couple of women similar to my age who are clearly to me the types of daughters they wished they had in me, and if they had been as nice to ME as they are to them..... well maybe our relationship wouldnt have been the self fulfilling disappointment to them that it has been....

Summerlove Mon 20-May-19 14:34:11

I think it says a lot about someone to assume that people who like and love their children and have a great relationship are “suspicious”. You might as well call them liars.

Your jealousy is very very visible, you might want to think on why you need to be nasty about it.

KatyK Mon 20-May-19 13:59:24

Yes Ellan that could be me talking. I have done everything humanely possible to help my DD. Of course I have. She is my child. She rarely tells me anything. She doesn't have to of course. Sometimes it's difficult
I am a born worrier so I think she doesn't want to burden me with stuff. She is very much a 'get on with it' type and rarely complains.

stella1949 Mon 20-May-19 13:21:32

Yes, I Love both my adult children , and I also admire and like them very much. They are very different but they have both done wonderful things in their lives. They also make it very clear that they love AND like me a lot !

Day6 Mon 20-May-19 13:19:33

I love my four ACs without question.

They are different in looks and temperament/disposition. I am very proud of them too. They have worked hard, have good jobs and get on well together (whenever they see each other.)

If I have a gripe it's a selfish one. They seem to assume that I am OK. In truth, I don't want them worrying about me, but they are not very communicative or loving - or open. I may have engendered that in them. They tell me so little. We have general family banter on our family Whatsapp group but they are not forthcoming about what is going on in their lives. I like to know what they are up to, but it's their business I suppose. They say no news is good news but in my case I can worry myself sick imagining things!

They've got good hearts, and that's what matters.

Sara65 Mon 20-May-19 13:14:31

Oh Ellan, sounds a bit like my daughters, but my little Daisy had everything going for her, and threw it all away! Seems happy though, and I guess that’s what counts
Her sister is so different, it’s hard to believe they’re related! But all makes for an interesting life!