Gransnet forums

Relationships

Beside myself with anger

(82 Posts)
rossie140748 Mon 20-May-19 06:02:02

This is my first post and am not very technical but need advice please. For the past 18 years have been living with my partner who has a cunning daughter, she has been married and divorced three times and always manages to extract money from him for rent arrears etc. She has had thousands of pounds over the years. This time when she changed from being a tenant jointly with her mother (my partner being guarantor) to buying a house with her mother (partner's ex-wife) they defaulted on the last payment of rent, therefore partner had to cough up once again. Am so very angry, not just because of the money but because he is so stupid to stand as quarantor (he originally did it because daughter had small children, they are since grown) and I feel that they have got one up on me, spoiling my happiness and saying 'we will always come first'. He is also angry but is very good at covering up his feelings. At the moment I want to demand that he leaves her out of his will, which at the moment is divided three ways between daughter, his son and myself. I don't want the money, he can leave her share to his son, am just so angry that she and ex wife have come between us yet again.

Dolcelatte Sat 25-May-19 05:03:05

Why haven't you married, OP? You would be in a much more secure position if you were married. Do you have your own money and financial independence?

Don't be jealous of your partner's daughter, try to build a good relationship with her. You risk losing everything if you try to come between father and daughter.

Starlady Sat 25-May-19 03:33:39

IMO, notanan makes some good legal points, OP. In fact, instead of worrying about what money his DD is or isn't getting, I think you need to think more about your own situation and how to protect yourself financially. You and your partner also need to make decisions, if you haven't already, about what happens if one of you goes into the hospital, especially, say, if it's a matter of critical care. If one of you is in critical care, in other words, does the other get to visit them or only "next of kin" (in his case, his DD and DS)? Who gets to make medical decisions if, unfortunately, the ill one cannot? I don't mean to worry you, and these may not be immediate concerns. But my point is you and he may have other things to work out besides what he should/shouldn't do about his DD.

notanan2 Wed 22-May-19 13:50:45

You have no rights to any of the life you have built together unless you have made legal agreements pertaining to the aspects you intend to share. And I do not mean him saying he will will it to you, I mean him putting your name on things you contribute to or things he says are joint.

That would be fine if you were on the same page, and both wanted financial independance and no expectations or duties to each other: just each other's company. As such, the guarentor issue shouldnt affect you.

notanan2 Wed 22-May-19 13:44:49

Also, I understand that cohabitation is not on a par w/ marriage in a court of law. But we're not in a court of law here, and IMO, it's harsh to brush off 18 years of a relationship, including cohabitation, as 'just dating."

As the OP is about
A: how her partner spends his money and
B: how his assets are split on his death

It may be harsh but it is true. She has no more of a say in his finances than anyone else, with the exception of any joint ventures they have paperwork for. And if she has relied on him and his family considering her differently despite him not giving her any legal protections or rights, then a harsh wake up is needed before things get worse for OP.

OP please dont pay towards any property that isnt in your name, including (him: I pay the mortgage you pay the bills/upkeep type "splits")

Please keep savings in your name. Dont take on joint debts while you have no rights to his assets. And prioritise your own pension if you are not yet retired.

Or marry. And if he doesnt want to, then do the previous 2 parragraphs times 10

Starlady Wed 22-May-19 05:37:13

Oh, also, Movingon, as for my own father, he and my mother had reciprocal wills, etc. But if they were divorced, as in the DP's case here, and if he were to cut me out of his will, I would be very hurt. And if he did it at someone else' request, I'm sure I'd feel even worse - whether she were his wife or not. The court would see a difference there, surely, but, as his DD, I wouldn't. All I would know is that another person influenced my father against me.

Starlady Wed 22-May-19 05:25:40

That being said, Rossie, I've been rereading your post and a few comments :jumped out at me:

"...they defaulted on the last payment of rent, therefore partner had to cough up once again."

"Am so very angry, not just because of the money but because he is so stupid to stand as quarantor... and I feel that they have got one up on me, spoiling my happiness and saying 'we will always come first'.

"At the moment I want to demand that he leaves her out of his will... I don't want the money, he can leave her share to his son, am just so angry that she and ex wife have come between us yet again."

No, they have NOT come between you, at least, not intentionally. They put their hands out for money which they needed b/c of their bad choices. No offense, but they probably weren't even thinking about you at the time. And they don't know, surely, that you think DP was "stupid" to become guarantor or that you feel they've "got one up on" you, etc. You are feeling this way, unfortunately, b/c of your own reactions to the situation, and maybe, somewhat of an inability to deal w/ the fact that he has been married before (maybe not, of course). However, the wish to make your demand seems to have come only "at the moment," so hopefully, it has passed. Please don't do anything in the heat of the issue. IMO, that's never a good plan.

Starlady Wed 22-May-19 05:13:02

Movingon, I agree that it would be wrong for the OP to make demands on her partner regarding his will, I said that in my earlier post to you. In fact, I would be upset w/ anyone who asked me to cut my child out of my will, even if that person were married to me.

Also, I understand that cohabitation is not on a par w/ marriage in a court of law. But we're not in a court of law here, and IMO, it's harsh to brush off 18 years of a relationship, including cohabitation, as 'just dating."

MovingOn2018 Wed 22-May-19 03:42:52

To most people I know, a long-term relationship like that is the same as being married

Not in a court of law it's not. The majority of people that you know are obviously not in the legal field - and their opinion on this won't count in a court of law either. The court wants paperwork, not biased opinions. Marriage is marriage, and a long term relationship is a long term relationship. The two cannot be interchanged especially when some partners have acquired assets/finances, adult children and ex-spouses (like in OPs has). Her partner is an adult. A fully grown man capable of making his own decisions. He's not a child. And even if he was one does not make demands on another's life. Its abusive, and "cruel," if you so prefer to use that word. Her goal is indicated on her post. She is tired of them coming first and obviously wants to cause harm by having the last laughter over all of this. I can't predict this ending well for her.

MovingOn2018 Wed 22-May-19 03:39:46

What a cruel post, Movingon! And what year, may I ask, are you living in? IDK anyone today who sees cohabitation as "just dating"

The ONLY cruel thing about this entire post is a woman whose not even married to the man in question demanding for a father to cut his own child off of his will, simply for she feels that his daughter and ex-wife in her own words has : "have got one up on me, spoiling my happiness and saying 'we will always come first'." hmm

His will should be none of her business period! Its already been split three ways and she's getting her own fair share so why is she being so spiteful and hateful?

I'm not sure what year you're living in (only for you asked) but in the century I'm living in, every human being reserves the right to decided the beneficiaries to their will, without some controlling person putting demands onto it. How would you feel if a man you were "just dating," asked you to cut your own child off of your will? Inspite of the fact that they've got their own share fair as a listed beneficiary? Or kindly explain how you would feel if your own father did this to you.

But 18 years together on a daily basis has a lot of meaning, definitely way more than just "dating" someone two or three evenings a week, etc.

This is not how a court of law would view it if there was no marriage certificate. One can sugarcoat it however they deem fit but those 18 years will never make her entitled (legally that is, and maybe that's why she's making demands) to any of his personal financial assets (not unless there paperwork to show that she acquired them with him) which I doubt is the case for then she wouldn't need to make demands on anything. Or maybe they have shared assets, but her hate for he daughter makes her more determined to see that she looses everything from her father, even though it may not benefit her (OP that is) financially? Now how wicked is that if this is the case!

I'd unapologetically discard anyone who tried to make me cut my kids off, and I'd do so very quickly for that matter. I see all these posts about AC cutting their parents off, and parents being advised to cut their estranged ACs off of their wills, and here is an OP that's been coddled on wanting to demand for her partner to cut off his own child from his will? For what? His will shouldn't be any of her business anyway and if she wanted to make it her business, then she would have got married - the legal way! This is the reason why people have wills. They want to have a say in how their assets will be divided without having some Mrs. Controlling decide that for them too.

notanan2 Tue 21-May-19 20:34:06

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/living-together-marriage-and-civil-partnership/living-together-and-marriage-legal-differences/

notanan2 Tue 21-May-19 20:32:07

Sharon that is not true in the Uk. There is no such thing as the mythical "common law man and wife" and there are no associated entitlements.

It does exist in places like australia, unfortunately people assume its a thing here too and rely on it then find themselves left with less than nothing!

sharon103 Tue 21-May-19 20:29:14

Eglantine21 best now your partner has moved in with you to find out how you stand regarding your property. I always understood it that when a partner lives in your property for over 2 years they could make a claim on it should the relationship end and move out?

notanan2 Tue 21-May-19 19:48:16

and wondered if you’d say anything to make me think twice
No not at all you sound entirely sensible and clued up...

The problem is when people (usually women) who arent married like the OP get disappointed or upset when they arent treated like a wife/family membet IYKWIM. But that is the deal. If their partner saw them as a wife or family member, rather than a cohabiting partner, they would want to marry them no?

Eglantine21 Tue 21-May-19 18:45:07

I don’t disagree. I was just curious I suppose and wondered if you’d say anything to make me think twice?

notanan2 Tue 21-May-19 18:32:32

If the OP wanted the kind of partnership you have Eglantine then surely the OP would not be so strongly worded. She may be concerned on behalf of her partner, but not so personally furious, if they were in a mutually satisfactory/agreed "separate but together" relationship IYKWIM

notanan2 Tue 21-May-19 18:28:57

Eglantine21 I understand your stance completely and not marrying sounds 100% the right decision for you.

The OP doesnt sound like that is the kind of relationship she wants from her DP though. She posts as if she wants to be in the same position as a wife, not a partner.

DH and I want to be each others next of kin. We want all of the ties, commitments and benefits of marraige. If Im on a life support, I want DH to be the one the docs consult and vica versa. If I die first I want to make sure things are straight forward: DH is my main NOK and beneficiary. A will only does so much

Lumarei Tue 21-May-19 17:27:05

The responses to your post is the reason why I would not post anything personal.
Nobody knows the background for example is the daughter supportive of and kind to partner. Do you feel he is only being used etc. I even get angry seeing other people being used.
I understand your anger and feeling like coming least in partner’s list of priorities yet when it comes to support him one day you will end up first in line.
I don‘t agree with any sentiments that family support is a one way street - parents to children. This is true until they are grown up but after that children have to support/help parents too. It has to work both ways.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-May-19 16:15:21

I think you need first to discuss the fact that in the course of nature one of you two will outlive the other and that now, while you and your partner both are fit and in your right minds, seen from the legal position is the time for you both to make a will.

I don't think you can make a joint will when you are not legally married, and as he has adult children, I don't think a joint will would be a good idea.

If your partner is willing to discuss the matter, you might want to discuss difficult matters like resuscitation etc. while you are at it, you could point out that it strikes you as unfair to his son, who I gather has not had the same amount of financial help over the years as his sister, if their father leaves an equal share to each of them.

If she were my daughter, I would deduct the amount she has received over the years from her half of whatever I leave.

Your partner needs legal advice about the terms of his will.

If you don't have children, you don't mention any, I believe you can leave your money to anyone you like, and a home-made will properly witnessed would suffice, but it is probably a good idea to write down what you want, then go to a solicitor.

Eglantine21 Tue 21-May-19 15:07:00

Notanan this isn’t a criticism or anything negative, truly I want to know because the lover has recently moved in with me and wouldn’t dream of marrying him.

I don’t want my money ( such as it is) to be our money. If he got into debt ( which he will do if keeps buying the latest expensive camera?) I wouldn’t want to be responsible for that. I don’t want him to be entitled to half my house if things don’t work out.

If either of us needs care I wouldn’t want the well person to have to use all their money up on one person’s care.

And actually (meanly) having cared for a sick husband for many years, I know that the assumption is that a married partner will do all the caring with very little help, while a single person gets much more support.

Like I say it’s not a criticism of your position and Id be very personally interested in what you see as the advantage of marriage for older people.

notanan2 Tue 21-May-19 14:57:41

Dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with being in a long term unmarried relationship, so long is its what both wants: i.e. to live alonsgide each other until you dont, without being next of kin etc. 2 people in the same house rather than one family unit

Its a valid chice

But OP sounds like she wants to be treated like a wife, like a family member by her DP which begs the question: why isnt she?

notanan2 Tue 21-May-19 14:53:52

To most people I know, a long-term relationship like that is the same as being married

But its not!

If my DH didnt want to give me the protections that marraige brings, and bring me into his family, our relationship would be very different.

Why would you not want those things for your life partner?

JanaNana Tue 21-May-19 14:24:22

Rossie.
I can see that having yet again bailed his daughter out was what outraged you. It's one thing helping occasionally (ie) when her children were small and being guarantor but there does come a time when you would expect AC to stand on their own two feet. Being together for 18 years is a long time in a relationship and cohabiting is certainly not dating as somebody described. As for trying to get your partner to alter the will I wouldn't do that even if you were married. If you Google - 1975 Inheritance Act. - it shows you exactly who can inherit and who can challenge a will if they have not been included, and surprisingly an ex spouse or ex civil partner can also make a claim if they have never remarried or had another registered relationship.

Starlady Tue 21-May-19 11:51:41

What a cruel post, Movingon! And what year, may I ask, are you living in? IDK anyone today who sees cohabitation as "just dating." Especially not after 18 years! To most people I know, a long-term relationship like that is the same as being married, especially if the two people are sharing a home/their lives/etc. Granted, marriage provides certain legal protections that cohabitation, by itself, does not. But 18 years together on a daily basis has a lot of meaning, definitely way more than just "dating" someone two or three evenings a week, etc.

That being said, I don't think anyone should make demands regarding anyone else' will, not even if they are married.

Rossie, please don't be upset by any harsh posts. But also, please don't "demand" that your partner cut his DD our of his will. No one has that right, and it may lead to an awful row and, perhaps, damage your relationship with him.

Starlady Tue 21-May-19 11:41:35

"He should have made provision for you as well, in the event of his death. "

VIOLETTE, he did. If you reread the OP, you'll see it says, "... his will, which at the moment is divided three ways between daughter, his son and myself."

"To make this fair for both you and his son he should reduce the amount his daughter receives in his will by the amount of money she has already received."

That makes sense, and the OP can suggest it. But her partner may not want to, nor doe he have to. Most older parents I know say that they're leaving equal amounts to their AC in their will, no matter what. They don't want any hard feelings between their AC after their (the parents') death, and they don't want any of their AC to feel "penalized" for having been needy while they were alive. I think you could make the suggestion if subtracting the amoung to your partner once, rossie, especially if he complains about his DD's neediness. But please realize he may not like the idea and be prepared to let it go.

You haven't said if you have any accounts separate from his. I hope so.

Bbbface Tue 21-May-19 11:06:52

@westerlywind

So you have a negative relationship with your children? You don’t do anything for them and vice versa.

And you think that’s ideal?

I have a wonderful relationship with my children. I prioritise then over my partner. No doubt about that. And I’m very happy. I have a very happy family and friend filled life.

My children would be there for me in a heartbeat but they are at a different point in their lives. Work, children - busy busy. Whereas I’m so much more available for them. And want to give them so much.